-19- (epilogue)

Echoes of the Past ✔

 

 

Turning the knob, she shuffled inside her bedroom. Her steps were slow and careful as she was carrying another life in her belly for almost eight months. Sitting on the bed, she opened the top drawer of the bedside table – taking out a bracelet.

This bracelet – this bracelet was the cause of all the mishap happened 11 years ago – her father had died, her memories were loss, her lover had been shot – and all because of the key to a safe.

She went back to Seoul to open the safe after a few months of recovering from the hideous event that had happened to her – being kidnaped because of the key. The safe was inside the study room of his step-grandfather – her father’s stepfather. She had come to the house a few times before her grandfather died because of a sickness.

Inside the safe contain letters – letters that were exchanged between her grandparents during their younger days. She was baffled and dumbfounded when she found it. Nevertheless, she decided to read them, probably she would know why these letters were kept inside a safe.

She took her times reading the letters and realized how precious those things are. Perhaps it was much more precious than gold and diamond itself.  

She was about to take the next letter to read when she saw some shinny things. Taking it out, she realized it was a coin-sized-pure-gold. Noticing it was rather suspicious; she took all the letters out from the safe and found there was heaps of gold hidden under the letters.

The gold was worth millions! Now she knew the real reason why Shii had been insisted on getting the key. Realizing the money was too handful, she decided to just donate it. Besides, she didn’t even know what to do with it anyway.

Putting back the bracelet inside the drawer, she took out a folded white paper that was neatly laid on the floor of the drawer. Her hands began to tremble.

Slowly, she opened it and for the nth time, her eyes began to scan the words.

 

Son Naeun,

I’m writing this letter for you to tell you the truth. Before I tell you anything, I want to say I’m sorry. I’m sorry for lying to you, I’m sorry for not being honest with you, I’m sorry for not protecting you enough – I’m sorry for everything.

So, that night – the night of the accident, I knew about it. To be honest, I knew about it three days earlier. Probably you didn’t know but I had been living with Shii for 15 years before I ran away to this island.

At first, I ignored it cause it was probably nothing but then, on that day when I was flipping a file named Son Hwijae, I just realized it was your father. I called Shii once I knew about it but he didn’t pick it up. And that night, I knew he had already started the plan.

I had meant to stop it but I was too late. When I arrived at the scene, Shii had this satisfied grin on his face. It took me a lot of patience for me not to kill him right there and then. But I had given him a few punches before I went down to you.

Seeing you covered with blood broke my heart. I thought that I will loss you that night but then I felt your pulse was still there – slow but it was enough to give me hope. I called the ambulance at once and when they came, they said your father cannot be safe.

I’m sorry I cannot safe him. If only I came earlier, if only I had stopped Shii on time – but no, I was too late.

I was thankful that you were still alive though you were in a coma. I visited you once and my heart wrenched in pain seeing you unconscious. Then, after two weeks, you awake. I visited you again but then when I entered your room, your empty eyes were staring at me in confusion – like you didn’t know me.

That was when I knew you had memory loss.

Everything we had, we shared together disappeared in one night. I was devastated and frustrated. I fought with Shii that day and that was too the day that I decided to leave him and the group.

You know what Naeun, I’m glad our path crossed. Before I met you, I was mean, evil –ruthless. Shii had made me handle his underground business. Yes, drugs dealing. At a young age, I had strength and beaten people to their pulp if they had done something wrong. Sometime, I would instruct the men to do something far worse.  I was heartless. I didn’t care if he had a family or old, I just want to get the business done. 

Yes, my hands had been tainted – but then you came. Your clumsiness, your smile, your innocence – everything about you had changed me.

I was less interested in handling the deals, I was less in beating up people – I had slowly changed to become a better person and the demon inside me was slowly fading.

Son Naeun, you are my precious gem, my world and my heart. Because of you I changed to a better person, because of you I become more humane and because of you, I know what love is.

But then, I had to let you go. You didn’t remember me and I felt guilty for what had happened.

For six years, I lived without you. You never know how hard it was to let you go. I kept having nightmares of you screaming for my help – it was torturous.

Then all of the sudden, you were here. I don’t know why fate kept on doing this but at the same time, I was happy.

I was happy to see that you’re doing well without me. I was happy that we started to become closer again. But I can’t help it but to feel guilty because of the past when I’m with you.

Then, there was that day that your memories came back. I was delighted and terrified at the same time – delighted that you had remembered about me but terrified that you will know the truth.

But now, you know and I’m sorry for not telling you sooner and for spilling it out in a letter. I know I should tell you directly but I’m afraid that it would be too late.

In a few hours from now, I’m going to meet you. I’m sorry that you had to go through all of this but I promise I will – must save you.

And if anything ever happens to me, I want you to know that:  

Son Naeun, I love you. I never stop and never will. I will always love you.

I am really grateful that our path crossed again and for once, fate had done a pretty amazing job for getting us to encounter.

Again, I love you. Please remember that.

 

Kim Myungsoo

(22:27 8/3/2011)

 

 

A drop of crystal-like tears fell down on the paper. The letter was given to her by one of his friend – Woohyun when they were waiting for Myungsoo who was battling his life in the OR.

It had been five years but the event – that night was still fresh in her mind.

In front of her eyes, she saw Myungsoo on the ground with blood flowing from his chest. She was too stunned that her feet were glued on the ground, eyes were widening in disbelief and mouth was left ajar. She didn’t even realized that a group of men in a special agent uniform went passed her and captured Shii along with his people. She didn’t even notice that one of the special agent men was asking her question. She didn’t even hear the sound of the chopper from outside and she didn’t even aware that they had brought Myungsoo’s unconscious body into the chopper to go to the hospital in the city.

She was too surprised, shocked, bewildered – in disbelief.

Later, she went to the hospital along with Woohyun who had managed to move her from her spot.

Remembering that day had made the tears flooding more that she didn’t hear the door was opened and came in her husband.

 “Hey, hey what’s wrong?” he asked, sitting on the bed as he wrapped his arms around his wife. Then, he noticed that she had been holding a paper – his letter.

A smile made way to his lips as he shook his head. “God, Naeun you still cry over the letter?”

She sniffed. “N-No, it’s this pregnancy hormone,” she mumbled. He just chuckles.

“A-And I remembered about that night – how terrified I was to see you covered in blood,” she continued, mumbling into his chest as she clung to his shirt.

Giving a peck on her temple, he whispered “I’m sorry. I’m sorry for making you worry,”

It was a miracle that Myungsoo was still alive. According to the doctor, the bullet was only a few centimeters away from his heart and that he was a lucky man. Though he had went to a state of unconsciousness for three days straight after the surgery.

Pulling back her head a little, she looked at her dashingly handsome husband. With a smile, she shook her head and said “Don’t be. I’m just glad you are still alive, Kim Myungsoo,”

He returned her smile. His life now was perfect. Thank god that his friend – Woohyun working as one of the upper officer at the police department. Myungsoo and Woohyun had been planning during the day before the night came on how to catch Shii. Myungsoo had put the tracking and hearing device under the sole of his shoes so Woohyun and his team could find and hear him. Without him, Myungsoo would sure that they wouldn’t be able to catch Shii and his men – and he wouldn’t be alive.

The Jungs’ family company had been sold as neither of Myungsoo nor Naeun were interested in continuing the legacy. They got married three years after and after a year of marriage, Naeun got pregnant. They both decided to live at the island as Naeun’s clinic was there and Myungsoo had a boat business to handle. Uncle Uhm had given the business to Myungsoo as he said that he was now too tired to work and figured he wanted to retire. Myungsoo declined it at first but Uncle Uhm had been insisted that he continued the business as he had thought Myungsoo as his son.

Figured that Uncle Uhm had been helping him a lot, he finally took over it.

“Oh,” Naeun suddenly gasped, breaking Myungsoo’s train of thought.

“What? What happened? Are you hurt?” flustered, he bombarded her with questions as his face shown concerned. Naeun giggled.

“No, the baby just kick – here,” she said as he grabbed his hand and put in on top of her bloated tummy. For a moment, it was quiet until he felt the kick and a grin broke on his lips.

“Wow,” he breathed. Naeun just giggled.

“It’s his third time and you have the same reaction like it was the first,” she said between her giggles.

“I can’t help it – it’s really amazing,” he murmured as he gazed at his lovingly wife. For a while, they both just gazed at each other until Myungsoo broke it.

“Thank you,”

Naeun furrowed in confusion, “For what?”

“For coming back – for accepting me again despite my past,” he mumbled.

The smile came back to her lips. “I don’t care what your past was – the only things I care are the present – the current you…and thank you too,”

Myungsoo raised a questioning brow. Seeing that, she continued, “For being patient with me, for being beside me even though that time I didn’t remembered about you,”

With a smile, Myungsoo slowly shook his head. “Even if you still didn’t remember, I will always be beside you. I love you too much to not to do so,” he said and she giggles hearing his cheesy line.

“Despite your cheesiness, I love you too, Kim Myungsoo,” she replied, making the grin on his face wider.

As they both gazed into each other eyes, slowly his head lean forward until their lips touched. Instincly, Naeun closed her eyes, letting herself devoured into the kiss. 

 

 

 

THE END

 

 

 

__________________

a/n:

....let's just meet in the next chapter :p