-1-

Echoes of the Past ✔

 

 

The night was cold and windy. Two friends were outside a bar, bidding goodbyes to each other and went to their separate ways.

A man in a black coat was puffing his breath as he slowly walk, trying to get his composure in stable. Then, he suddenly tripped on an empty can, making him fell down on his back. He groaned in pain. He tried to get up but once his eyes landed on the black skies that full of stars, he figured he should admire the view.

“Naeun,” he muttered under his breath. An image of a girl with long and wavy hair, a pair of hazelnut eyes was smiling at him. The past memories were playing in his mind and once that one memory came, the guilt came creeping into him again. His heart was in pain, shattered as he remembered that one horrible memory.

It was his nightmare.

Closing his eyes, he tried to think of other things – things that wouldn’t make him remember about that nightmare.

The cold ground and the wind had made him shivers but he didn’t care to get up.

Let me die in the cold. I don’t want to live.

With that last thought in mind, he black out.

 

 

 

 

He groaned as he felt a jolt of pain in his head.

God, just how many drinks I had last night.

He tried to open his eyes and once he did, he frowned. He was scanning the whole room – yellow walls, an oak table near the window, a bookshelf. He took noticed of the floral comforter that was over his body.  He knew this was not his room. Slowly, he tried to get up; making sure the dizziness was bearable and pushed the door.

Once he was outside the room, he scanned the place, trying to find someone in this house. Then, a nice smell wafted in the air along with a voice of someone humming to a song. With hesitant steps, he walked towards the kitchen.

There, he saw a girl with her hair tied in a loose ponytail, wearing a white shirt and black pants, an apron was tied on her body. Instantly, his feet glued to the floor as his body froze. He tried to breath but it seemed like his breathing system didn’t want to work.

Sensing there was someone behind her, the girl looked behind. A smile made its way to her face once she noticed that the man had woken up.

“Good morning, how are you feeling?” she greeted.

This time, the man was really struggling for air.

 

No, it can’t be. That smile, that sweet voice, that eyes – no, impossible.

 

 

It can’t be Naeun. 

 

 

_________________________________________________________________