6. First Promise

For the First Time


“Are you looking for Jung--Leeteuk-oppa, Taeyeon?” Tiffany asked, trying to keep up with Taeyeon’s quick pace through the halls of SM.

“Why do you call him Leeteuk?” Taeyeon wondered, opening random doors and sticking her head through them.

“But that’s his na--”

“Stage name,” Taeyeon corrected. “He’s Jungsu.”

“Only you call him that,” Tiffany said teasingly, nudging Taeyeon in the arm.

“What do you mean?” the shorter girl asked, oblivious.

Suppressing a sigh, Tiffany replied, “Never mind.”

“Why is he never here anymore?” Taeyeon muttered, annoyed.

“He debuted, Taeyeon.”

“That doesn’t mean he can just...just leave me here without a proper goodbye--”

“Is that him?” Tiffany exclaimed suddenly, jumping and pointing to a man at the end of the hallway.

Taeyeon’s eyes widened and she broke into a sprint, and forgot about her best friend, heading straight for the man who would always be recognizable to her despite the different hair cut and color. “Park Jungsu!”

“What’s with the informalities? Haven’t I taught you manners, Taeyeon?” Jungsu fake-scolded, crushing her in a hug.

“I haven’t seen you in months,” Taeyeon said in a muffled voice.

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s been hard,” Taeyeon went on, swallowing a lump in , “It’s already been a year, and I don’t know when I’ll ever debut.”

Jungsu pulled Taeyeon away from him and looked her right in eyes. “Taeyeon, you need to hang in there. You know how long I trained until I finally debuted.”

The girl slowly nodded, silently.

“Make a promise to me then. Promise me that you’ll debut, and that when you do, you’ll lead your group with compassion and total confidence. Promise me we’ll stand on the same stage someday, my group and yours.”

Taeyeon took a moment to process all of the information. “Jungsu--”

“Promise me,” he repeated.

“I don’t think...” Taeyeon trailed off, unsure.

“Don’t think, promise me. Do this one thing for me.” Jungsu’s eyes never left hers.

“Okay...I promise. I’ll try my best.”

“That’s the Taeyeon I know.”


Time Frame: Early 2006

Song: Promise/Our Same Word - Yiruma