2. First Friend

For the First Time


Taeyeon stood stock-still in front of the doors that led into a particular entertainment company--not just any company, the entertainment company to be in, the one that would aid her in reaching her dreams; SM Entertainment.

Her hand was frozen, hovering over the silver handle that gleamed in the morning sunlight.

She just couldn’t do it.

She couldn’t bring herself to the hand fully forward and with the little confidence she possessed, march straight into the building. Taeyeon mentally scolded herself; she was a trainee now after all, she made it that far, at least.

Why wimp out at the last second, before she was even halfway there?

Pathetic.

“Excuse me,” someone said from behind her.

“I’m so sorry,” Taeyeon apologized, turning around and bowing.

“Hey!” a hand touched her shoulder.

Confused, Taeyeon rose. Her face then broke out into a relieved and happy smile. “Jungsu-sshi!”

Jungsu grinned. “I told you so. I did, didn’t I?”

“I’m still really surprised,” Taeyeon mumbled, laughing and beaming.

“Don’t be, you’re really talented after all,” Jungsu gave her a sweet smile and held the door open for her. “After you, miss.”

Taeyeon could only roll her eyes slightly at his dorky actions. She carefully stepped inside the building and her eyes began roaming the lobby. Her heart felt ready to leap out of her chest.

She made it this far.

Jungsu poked her in the arm, bringing her out of her reverie. “Hey, don’t think I didn’t see that.”

“See what?” Taeyeon responded innocently.

“You roll your eyes at me,” Jungsu pushed her lightly in the shoulder.

Taeyeon was about to form a reply, when he began shaking his head at her, smiling. “I’ve gotta go this way,” he pointed to the left, “But maybe we can meet up during the lunch break?”

Taeyeon just nodded, still too transfixed with her new surroundings--the lavish furnishings and the glittery lights. Jungsu only smiled at her and walked off without another word.

“Are you Kim Taeyeon?”

Snapping out of her trance, Taeyeon regarded a girl about her height.

But with gorgeous features.

She smiled kindly. “I’m a trainee here, you can call me Jessica. You’re in my vocal class, Class A. I was sent to fetch you.”

“I read something about that, but I don’t really understand.” Taeyeon quickly pulled a piece of paper out of her messenger bag.

Jessica took the paper and scrutinized it. “Class A is the best.”

Taeyeon blinked--she was among the best?  In singing?

“It means you’re considered one of the best singers here.” Jessica explained, folding the piece of paper up.

“Wow,” Taeyeon uttered out, astonished.

“We have all the same classes, so you can just follow me around, okay, Taeyeon-sshi?”

A relieved sigh escaped Taeyeon’s lips; she wouldn’t have to wander around like an idiot for the whole day. “Thank you, sunbaenim.”

Jessica waved her hand dismissively. “No need for formalities, we’re friends now.”

“Huh?” Taeyeon asked, confused.

“You’re older than me by a month,” Jessica stated, handing the paper back to its original owner.

“O-Oh.”

“Let’s go,” Jessica motioned for Taeyeon to follow.

They walked along silently until Jessica broke the silence. “Did Park Jungsu talk to you?” she asked casually.

“Yeah, I first met him a few months ago when I auditioned. I guess we’re sort of friends, but not really. Maybe acquaintances? I don’t know him that well, in all honestly.” Taeyeon rambled mindlessly.

“Oh no,” Jessica muttered to herself.

Taeyeon was lost. “What’s wrong?”

“He’s gotten to you.” Jessica gave Taeyeon a sad look.

“Um...”

Jessica placed a hand on Taeyeon’s shoulder. “Ignore him at all costs, got it?”

Taken aback, Taeyeon protested, “But he’s really nice, I don’t--”

“He’s nice to all the female trainees,” Jessica remarked with a roll of her eyes.

“Is...Is he really?” Taeyeon’s face fell a bit upon hearing this news.

“Just stick with me,” Jessica smiled, “Friends should stick together, right?”

Taeyeon smiled eventually. “Right.”


A/N: So for those who asked, the song on the last chapter was Do You by Yiruma. :) This piano piece is You've Got a Friend in Me from Toy Story. Also, the time period right now is 2004, when Taeyeon first becomes a trainee, just to let you know. She's 16 and Teuk is 22.

Thanks for reading everyone<3