Sin

Obsessed

Seong Im was dressed in a sweater and capris with a pair of white shoes. Her hair flowed along her face as she clipped her bangs out of the way. They walked down a path out of the neighborhood, passing into the woods.

Woods? Why the woods? Seong Im tried to wash away the thoughts. No, oppa said it was a special place, I should believe him.

They walked along the path as dirt and bushes surround them along the way. It was a while before they reached a shed. Seong Im looked at the shed as its wooden colors faded. There was a little gate to the shed.

Bolin entered the through the gate as Seong Im followed behind him. She was going to step in as Il Kook’s words of warning came to her again. Bolin turn back to see her glancing behind. Seong Im stepped inside the small yard and followed him to the shed.

As he opened the door, Seong Im stepped in to see that there were lights in there. There was a small bed in the corner and a table in the middle with papers over it. There were flowers spread all over the room. Little petals of red roses scattered around. Though it was a bit shabby, Seong Im was delighted that it was clean. She turned to see Bolin walk to the table and handing her something.

It was a heart paper made of origami paper. She looked amazed.

“This is…”

“My gift to you.” He said with a little smile, one of the first time she saw him smiling.

“Thank you.” She said as she sat on the chair. She saw other designs of origami spread all over the table. “Did you fold all of these?”

He sat across from her and nodded. “Do you…want to learn it?” and she nodded excitedly. He then took out the colored paper and stated teaching her how to make an origami. “What…do you want to make?”

“A crane.” Seong Im answered happily.

“Why?” he look up at her.

“One for mother and father,” she listed, “and one for you.”

He started teaching her how to fold it and sometimes he happened to touch her hand which makes him suddenly draw back. Seong Im giggled back and forth when she messed up. After what takes like forever, she was able to fold a crane. She shouted in success and clap but Bolin only fiddles with the paper in his hand.

She smiled. “For your wishes to come true and live in peace.” and handed the first crane to him. “Let’s make more.”

 “My wishes…?”

“You know, they say that if you fold a thousand cranes, then your wish will come true.” He reached and hold the crane as she told him.

 

He examine the crane that she folded, although it was her first time and the paper had worn a little bit, it was pretty. He held it in his hand gently. Seong Im continue making another crane. He then started making another crane quickly while she was stuck again, trying to memorize the steps.

He handed the yellow crane to her as she look up at him.

“For you…” Seong Im smiled and took it. his eyes were still on her as she busied herself.

‘I like you, Seong Im-ah.’ He declared loudly.

‘I like you too oppa.’ She answered while she still fold the other crane.

‘Not like that.’ making her stop and look up at him.

‘What do you mean oppa? You don’t want to be my brother?’ Seong Im asked with confusion.

‘I don’t want to be a brother to you. I want to be more than that.’ He held her hand desperately as the crane in her hand was crumbled.

‘W-what are you saying oppa?’ Seong Im tried to push away his hand away but he gripped it tight.

‘Don’t you get it?’ he disturbingly looked into her eyes. ‘Oppa likes you as a girl, not a sister.’

Seong Im  was so shocked and scared. She was going to run for the door as there was no one there. They were isolated in the area. Seong Im tried to get up as he was frustratingly pulling his hair after confessing to her. She bolted for the door as he flipped over the table and ran after her.

She bolted for the door as she heard the table flipped over and fast footsteps behind her. Her hands scrambled over the locked door, trying to open it. Bolin grabbed her arm and twisted her around. She couldn’t even scream as he desperately searched her eyes for an answer.

‘Why are you running away? You haven’t answered me yet.’ Seong Im could feel her eyes burning up. Il Kook was right. She shouldn’t have trusted Bolin, her step brother. Bolin chuckled in her face.

‘Why? Am I that scary?’ He grabbed her hands against him. Seong Im slowly nodded as she was really afraid now. Her body was shaking off her wits.

‘O-oppa…let’s go home…’ Seong Im stuttered as Bolin looked down on the ground, closing his eyes.

‘Why?’ he asked and looked at her. ‘Is it because we are step-siblings?’ Tears reached the brim of his eyes. ‘Or is it because of Il Kook?’ She stared at him with her puppy eyes, so scared, not knowing what to do. ‘Answer me!’ He shouted.

Seong Im started to cry, her voice cracking. “O-oppa….*hiks*….I’m scared…Please…”

Bolin saw the fear in her eyes and slowly let go of her. He weakly walked away from her. He sat down on the wall opposite of her as she let out a deep breath.

‘Yeah…oppa is horrendous, and filthy.’ He chuckled and hit himself. ‘Who am I kidding? Of course you won’t like me. A piece of trash like me,’ he chuckled to himself as a tear fell out of his eyes. Seong Im glanced at him, his pathetic self-hitting his face.

She felt bad for rejecting him. She feels bad but she was scared too. She slowly scooted her feet farther from him. She hated to see him in this mental state. The last time she saw him cry was at the stair as she comfort him. He was there to help her from the girls that bullied her for hanging out with Il Kook.

After gathering up the courage and wiping her tears, she went to hold his shoulder. He was crying, like a kid. She hesitantly stood by his side.

It wasn’t a sin to like someone. But they were step siblings. And she already had someone in her heart. She didn’t realize that through all the times she had stayed by his side would stir up those feelings that he hid inside.

‘Mmianhae.’ She stuttered softly. She patted his shoulder and was going to walk away when he pulled her hand and made her fall against him on the wall. Seong Im was so shocked and tried to struggle free. He held her strongly still with tears in his eyes. ‘B-Bolin opp-AH!‘

He pulled her against him and flipped her on the ground. He leaned in towards her as she screamed away. His grip was stronger than hers as her petite hands struggled to release. He was on top of her, using his weight to keep her down.

He snuggled by her neck, nibbling on her collarbone and pressing his lips over her cheeks. She pleaded him to let her go with cries mixed with fear. She hates him to the guts now.

“Stop it! I hate you! I’m going to hate you forever!” He covered with his right hand.

‘Didn't you say that you'll love me even if I hate you? Then you can hate me too. I'll love you.’ Bolin pulled her hands against him. Seong Im tried to gather her strength to push him away but it had no effect on him.

He looked up to look at her fear stricken face. “Cheon Seong Im…you are mine… only. You’re going to stay with me…forever.” he used his left hand to caress her face and wiped away the tear from the corner of her eye. She wanted to scream but he placed a finger over her lips. “Shhh… Be a good girl like you’ve always been. Oppa…will take care of you.” His smile grew cynically wide as he continue to violate her. Her screams were torturous in the shed, echoing in the forest.

**************

After the horrendous pain was over, Seong Im laid over at the corner with her clothes scattered, raggedy over her. Bolin sat beside her, resting. Her body was sored all over and it was painful to even move. After a while, he made sure she was unconscious before he slept. Seong Im grunted as she tried to crawl to the door. As soon as she reached the door, she tried really hard to not let out any sounds and ran out. It pained her abdomen to move but she didn’t want to stay there any longer.

[Listen to à Elsa Kopf – Days and Moons]

She was barefoot, running through the woods, falling a number of times. When she heard him call her name, she tried her best not to trip and ran even faster. Blood trailed behind her, her feet was bleeding and her hair tousled in a mess. She hid behind a bush as she heard Bolin’s shouting came closer and she had no strength left to run. She covered in terror. Footsteps cracked the branched on the ground. He was only a few meters from getting close to her until he heard a crack from elsewhere, he darted away.

She shook in fear until she heard his footsteps echoed from far away. She slowly got up and try to find a way out of the woods as the wind blew passed her and the sound of insects chirped.

****

 She limped and dragged herself out. She was walking down the small streets, anxiously looking back every time there is a sound. She stumbled upon a house. She knock on the door repeatedly and waited in the dark shadows, avoiding people. The door finally open and another teenage boy came out.

‘Seong Im-ah,’ he was shock to see her in that shape. Her clothes were badly covering her small body, her bare feet bleeding, her lip bruised and teary pink swollen eyes. She weakly looked at him and whispered his name.

‘I-Il K-Kook Kook-ah….Help me…’ and she fainted as he caught her…

My nightmare… it devoured me… ripped me apart… and betrayed me….

****

Seong Im shot her eyes open as sweat cover her body. Her clothes had been changed and her wounds were tended. She nervously look around the room and jumped at the sudden clicked of the door. She dragged herself to the corner of the bed and clutched the cover tightly.

The door creaked open and she covered her face.

Please…please… she shivered under the blankets and kept her eyes shut. She heard the footsteps coming closer.

Then the sheets was pulled down and Il Kook appeared. His worried face of shock observed her as she was really defensive and still clutched the blanket.

“Seong Im-ah,” he tried to reach for her hand but she moves it quickly, “It’s me, Song Il Kook.” He softly said. She slowly opened her eyes and it was really him. His eyes gloomy and his face was soft as his touch was gentle.

“It’s just me. No one else.” He assured her and held her hand again as he cracked a thin smile. Seeing her tremble made him hurt, he would hurt whoever did this to her. Tears formed in her eyes as she struggle to speak.

“*hicks* Il Kook-ah….*hicks*” she stuttered and hiccup. He clutched her bruised hands and smile as his eyes grew watery.

“Geurae. I’m here. Don’t be afraid.” he said as his voice shook. Seong Im jumped into his arms and wrapped her around his body as she cried. He patted her head and hugged her back. Huffing and puffing out steam that threaten to make tears fall from his eyes. He held them back and held her tightly yet gently.

After a while, she was lying in bed with him sitting by her side a she held onto her hand.

“Who did this?” he asked seriously. She stare into space and clutched on his hand. “Was it Bolin?” he asked again. Her look flinch and shut her eyes.

The scenario flashed through her head again. Those bad memories… she wanted to flush them away.

Il Kook clutched his fist and stood up suddenly and turned around, his hand slipping out of hers. He groan in anger and wanted to punch the wall. But her sudden heavy breathing and tug on his sleeve made him stop.

“Don’t leave me alone…” She mumbled. “I’m afraid.”

He turned back to look at her. He kneeled on the floor and held her hands, looking at her bruised hands and softly touching the purple patches and slight scratches. .

Crackles and muffled cried whispered in the room. He looked up at her face with tears in his eyes.

“I’m…sorry…” He looked into her eyes as agony and guilt manifested his heart. He exhale and inhale deeply. “I’m so sorry. For not being able to protect you.”

Seong Im opened her eyes and look at him, cracking a thin smile. “It’s okay…. you’re here now…. I don’t blame you...” and she hiccup again. Il Kook buried his face in her hands and he muttered apologies over and over again. They cried together as the night grew colder and the wind rustled outside.

Forgive me…Father…For I have sinned.

****