Family...

Obsessed

( Listen to this ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ewQiU3q5jM )

The sound of the music box played as the keys repeated. It was a sweet day of snow melting to spring. The roads were scarce as the wind blew softly in the air.

“Seong Im-ah!” Her mother called her as the 13 year old girl ran to her mother. Her plump cheeks tinted pink as the chilly wind brush passed her. Her big doe eyes looked up at her mother. She hurriedly ran towards her mother as they entered the car.

I remember it… A chilly winter day as the snow melted and formed muddy puddles… My mother is going to get married… I should be happy…right?

She stared out the window as they finally arrived in front of a big neighborhood. The streets were nicely paved but many houses clumped around. Seong Im held her mother’s arm as she was afraid to enter the neighborhood.

An elderly man, his cheeks bulging, has a warm aura looks at them. He quickly comes toward and greeted them. He looks at her dearly.

“Hello Seong Im.-ah.” He patted her head. Her mother cheerfully smiled at her.

“Seong Im-ah, from now on call him appa. He, is your father.” Seong Im hesitantly bowed and smile. They climbed the long stairway leading to the house in the back of the neighborhood.

Seong Im sat on the front porch when they entered inside the gate. The house was a medium sized house, cozy yet chilling. She saw how her to-be father was happily helping her mother moved their suitcases and things into the house. Her lips curled up as she saw how sweet they were to each other.

Her father leaded her to her bedroom and helped her set her things. She saw one particular door, making her anxious. She gulped as the hair on her back raised.

“Seong Im-ah, I’m really glad that we get to be a family now. If you need anything feel free to talk to me, alright my daughter?” He smiled at her. She has met him many times when he and her mother were dating. Actually, he was the one who brought her mother happiness again. She was glad that he made her smile happily like how she used to, before her father passed away.

“Nneh, appa.”

“Rest a lot, it must have been tiring.” He patted her head and left her alone. She laid on her bed and looked at the ceiling.

It’ll be alright Seong Im. You can do it. Hwaiting!

She changed her clothes and went down stairs to see her mother and father cooking dinner. They shy away from each other as they caught her presence. Her lips curled up and she headed to help them cook. They teased, laugh, and played with each other. A normal and happy family…

They surround the table and ate as the sky turned dark. The food was steaming and hot, delicious cuisine. They fed each other sweetly. Seong Im really liked it, the feeling of having a complete family.

“Yeobo, where is your son?” Her mother asked as the father froze for a bit.

“He’s out, that troublemaker.”

“Don’t be like that. I wonder when he will come home.” They faintly smiled at each other.

“Did you transfer Seong Im yet?”

“Yes, I transferred her to your son’s school. I heard that it was a middle school and high school campus right? That way they can go to school together, get closer.” Her mother cheerfully explained. He sighed but helds her hand.

“Only you understands me best.”

Seong Im stopped eating and excused herself. They were afraid that she didn’t like them having contact in front of her but she turned back to look at them.

“To be honest… this is still difficult for me to accept,” her honesty made them grim, “But as long as you are happy together, I am willing to try and understand.” She curled her lips up to a sweet smile and left to go outside. They faintly smiled, relieve that Seong Im was being truthful and becoming more comfortable.

Her mother later went outside to see her sitting on the porch, writing letters on the ground then erasing them.

“Sweetie,” Her mother sat by her. She moved the strands of hair from Seong Im’s face and gently touched her shoulder. “I know it’s difficult for you…”

“Omma,” Seong Im looked at her. “Don’t worry. I’m 13 years old already, I have grown up. Frankly, I grew fond of him ever since you both started dating. It’s just a little uncomfortable to call him father.” She assured her mother who only smiles and pats her head. “If you keep treating me like a baby then I will never grow up.” Her mother smiled and hugged her.

“Arasso, aigoo my little angel. What are you writing?” She pointed to the ground.

“A letter, to myself.” Her mother smiled and took her inside. Her father placed the fruits and bakery on the table and they shared stories until late night.

****************************************************************************************************

Seong Im woke up in the middle of the night. Her hair was in a mess but she got up. She couldn’t fall asleep and was thirsty. She got out of her bedroom and went downstairs to the kitchen to get a drink. She gulped down the water and walked down the hall back upstairs after turning off the lights.

When she reached the top of the stairs she heard clanks, the front door opening. She immediately hid herself by the wall, holding her breath.

Who could it be? A robber? A thief?

She peeked at the corner of the wall and saw a shadow passed by, coming towards the stairs. She was afraid, her hand trembling, she moved back to run to her parents’ bedroom. But –Clank! The mini clock on the stand fell as Seong Im hit the shelf. She darted her eyes back to see and hear the shadow running up the stairs. She crouch behind the sofa and grabbed anything she could. The shadow bolted to the top stairs and stopped, heavily breathing. It walked closer and closer to Seong Im who was timing when to take action.

It walked beside her, a feet apart. She saw a hand going up to switch on the lights. She got up and hit it, whatever it was, a human or ghost. Seong Im felt it hit the body as it grunt in pain and grabbed the bamboo stick from her hand. She was scared to her wits but she won’t back down.

The body was broad, cold and the grip was firm as it pushed her against the side of the sofa and locked her body against the shelf, making the books fall on them. She heard a raspy voice and caught the eyes of it. It was a human. The light crept in the room and hit his face.

 “Who are you?” he angrily whispered. Seong Im couldn’t say a word, stuttering to speak.

The lights switched on and her parents looked at them. They turned to look at the two parents in their pajamas. That was when they were able to see each other’s face clearly.

He was a young teenage boy, a few bruises and cuts on his face, the blood still fresh. His hair was short and his hands were rough. His eyes were cold and deadly. She felt her soul dispersing.

Her mother quickly came to help her up as he was still crouching down and looked up at her, stood up to his feet too.

“You’re home?” Her mother smiled at the boy. He only stared at her blankly. Her father came towards them and introduced them.

“She is your mother and she is your sister, Seong Im. From now on, we will all be living together before the wedding.” He told the boy who said nothing but inspected them from head to toe. “Seong Im, this is your oppa, Bolin.” Her father smiled and Seong Im nodded.

“H-Hello…oppa.” He glared at her and left before her mother could say anything to him. He bumped passed his father and headed to his room, shutting it tight. He entered the bedroom Seong Im was curious about. She jumped at the loud slam. But her mother turned to her and calmed her down.

“Your oppa must have been tired. Now why don’t you go sleep too? You have to go to school tomorrow.” Her mother led her to her room as her father picked up the things and put them in the previous places.