Friend

Obsessed

Seong Im woke up at the sound of her alarm, lazily and headed out to the restroom. She looked in the mirror and started her day. She got dressed in her school uniform and headed downstairs. Her parents were already up were preparing breakfast together. She sat by the table and helped them as they sat down together and ate breakfast together. She turned around to see her brother last night coming down the stairs.

“Son, you’re up?” Her mother called him. “Come, let’s have breakf-“ but he left out the door before she could finish talking.

“Don’t bother with him. He has always been like that. Let’s eat by ourselves.” Her father said and continued eating. Seong Im wondered and slowly ate as her father told her to eat more. “We’ll take you to school today.”

They arrived at the school and Seong Im entered the classroom with the principal.

“Today, we have a new student. Cheon Seong Im has just transferred from Pohang. Everyone please be nice to her.” Mrs. Go announced. Seong Im’s eyes searched the room and nervously looked at everyone who were whispering back and forth and stared at her.

“Hello. I’m Cheon Seong Im. Please take care of me. Hope to know everyone better.” She bowed as her teacher pointed for her to sit. As she walked down the aisle, the boys glanced at her and cheered. She sat beside another girl who looked at her. The teacher started teaching class as the clock ticked 8.

After the class ended from homeroom to break, the boys in the classroom hovered over her.

‘Can I get your phone number?’ ‘Are you taken?’ ‘Do you have a boyfriend?’ They were all in her face, making her uncomfortable, not sure what to say.

“Aish! Get away from her you rascals!” The girl beside her yelled. “So noisy and rude.” She pushed them away. Seong Im was amazed, the girl was pretty strong. After they moved out of the way she turned to look at Seong Im.

“Hello, I’m Kim Yoo Jung.” She waved to Seong Im.

“Nneh, Seong Im-nida.”

“How old are you?”

“13.”

“I’m 14. You can call me unnie.”

“Nneh, unnie.”

They started talking and chatting with each other, moving from classes together.

****************************************************************************************************

As they got out to gym class, they partnered up to do the exercises.

They stood back to back, hooking their arms, then leaning forward and backward to stretch.

“So, why did you transfer here?” Yoo Jung asked.

“Actually, my mom is getting married.”

“Your mom? To who? Do you know his name?”

“I think its Chen Luo or something like that.” They let go of each other as Yoo Jung gasped.

“Mr. Chen? Bolin’s father?” Seong Im only nodded her head. “Daebak,”

“Wait, did you meet Bolin yet?” She nodded again. “Isn’t he such a rude jerk?”

“Well, sort of.”

“Not just a little. He is. Don’t bother getting along with him, he’s one of the worst students at our school.” Suddenly a ball hit them. “Yah!” Yoo Jung turned around to see who it was.

There, Il Kook ran to them in a suave manner. Girls were swooning all over as he got closer, with sweat dripping and his breath quicken, an angel flying to them.

“Sorry. Are you guys hurt?” He asked them with the most angelic smile she has ever seen. She quickly look away as Yoo Jong answered him.

“Uh? Duh.”

“Mianhae.” He said again, his voice was like music to your ears. “I haven’t seen you before? Are you new?”

Seong Im nodded. He brighten his smile and took out a hand to her.

“I’m Il Kook. Song Il Kook.” Seong Im looked up at him with her bangs covering her face and slowly stick her hand to shake his.

“And your name is?”

“Ch-Cheon Seong Im.”

“If you need anything then tell me okay?”

“N-neh.”

“See you guys around.” then he ran back to the field with his friends with the basketball.

During break, Seong Im kept sneaking glances at him as he did lay ups and ran around the court. Yoo Jung swung her arm around Seong Im’s neck.

“If you stare too much, you might get in trouble.”

“I-I’m not staring.”

“Oh really?” Yoo Jung smiled. “Be careful though. You see those girls? The ones standing with their hips slanted lie they have back problems. They are the divas in our whole school. They like Il Kook oppa. Why? He’s the most popular boy in highschool. Not only are the looks good but also his grades and family too. Everyone likes him.”

****

On the way home, Seong Im walked along the neighborhood roads and got lost. She ended up at a playground instead. Tired from the day, she sat down on the swing. She looked at the little clouds floating in the sky.

Dad, how are you today? Me? Well, it was good… I made a new friend. Mom is happy with ahjussi too… He treats me well. But I miss you… You wouldn’t have wanted mom to be sad for the rest of her life either right? I should like this family right? *sighs*

She didn’t know how long she stayed there, the sky started turning dark as it lit up with sparkling stars. Then someone sat on the swing right next to hers. Surprised she turn to look and saw the boy from school earlier. Song Il Kook. He smiled at her in wonders. She quickly got off the swing.

“Don’t leave yet.” He called. “I didn’t mean to interrupt you.”

Seong Im turn back to see him. “Do you live in this neighborhood?” he asked. “I live in this neighborhood too. How fascinating.” A smile cross his face as she gulped.

What’s this? Her heart flutter at his smile. She tried to avoid contact with him. He took out a soybean milk card box and handed it to her. She blinked a few times and slowly took it as he raised it at her again. He took out his own drink and started sipping it too.

“Why aren’t you going home yet?” He asked again as she held onto the drink in her hand. “Aren’t you afraid?” She only shook her head slightly.

“So fearless.” He chuckled. “Come on, I’ll walk with you.” Seong Im didn’t move an inch. “Yah, transferee. Mong (Blank).” And she turned to look at him shyly.

Without further due, she got up and walked away as he followed her. But it was a different way out that she was leaving.

“Transferee, why are you going that way?” He yelled, “The neighborhood is this way.” Seong Im stopped and looked around in embarrassment. He confusedly glance at her as he scratch his neck.

She tiptoe back to him with her head down. “Actually… I don’t know how to get home.” She mumbled.

“What?” he was surprised then chuckle. “I forgot, you just moved here.”

He walked her through the neighborhood’s maze and they finally arrived at the stair to the gate of her house.

“Y-you can stop here. I remember the way back now.”

“Really?” and she nodded. “Then take care.” She bowed and hurried up the stairs. She didn’t want to look back and tried not to peek.

“Cheon Seong Im.” She topped as she heard him call her name. “Let’s be friends. Goodnight. See you tomorrow!”

She fasten her steps without saying anything to him. She didn’t stop, even when she entered the gate to the house and got inside.

“You’re home?” Her mother asked, making her halt.

“Nneh.”

“Quickly wash up and come eat.” She bowed and ran upstairs with the drink still in her hand. She closed the door and finally stopped for a deep breath. She touched her chest as her heart beated quickly.

A smile crack over her lips as she looked at the carton in her hand. “Song… Il Kook.” She poked it open with the straw and sipped it. It was filled with sweetness and nutrition.

Then she heard a bang on her window and it slide open by itself. She quickly reached for an umbrella near by the door and pointed it at the window. She saw a hand reach up then a body suddenly jumped in –thud! and landed on her floor. To her surprise, it was her step brother, Bolin.

“Oppa…” She mutter. He groan in pain and worriedly, she ran to help him up. He got up and wiped off the dirt in his hand. His face was dirty and so was his clothes. He looks at her in surprise, realizing it was not his room. Seeing her doe eyes looking at him, he only glare at her. He brushed her aside and got out of her room, slamming the door. Seong Im got up as she wonder where he went to be covered in dirt. But she said nothing and changed to go downstairs with her drink.

“How was school?” Her father asked. “Did you like it?”

“Nneh, it was good.”

Her parents nodded in relief.

“Here, eat more.” and she thanked them.

****

Seong Im twisted and turn in her bed, unable to sleep. Il Kook’s smiley face blooms flowers in her eyes and butterflies tickled her stomach. She giggled to herself when he asked her to be his friend. When she was about to fall asleep, she heard a few steps in the hall. She was scared as she heard her door creak and her doorknob turning. She quickly threw the covers over her head and pretended to sleep. Suddenly the door creak open. The footsteps were quiet but she could hear the breathing well. She shut her eyes as the figure got closer and closer. Her cover was slowly pulled off, revealing her face. She tried her best to look like she was asleep.

It was a while before she felt the figure covering her up with the cover again and got out of the room. The door was slowly clicked closed. Seong Im slowly open her eyes and tiptoe to the door, making sure she was as careful as possible and peeked out to see who it was. She saw the familiar figure in the dark hall and as it opened the door, she saw his face. Bolin enter his room and quietly closed it lock.

Shock, Seong Im closed her door and shut and leaned on it.

Why was he here? She looked around her room to find it gone. Her music box was gone.

I should have known. That night was the first step closer to a nightmare…