Chapter 8

Unfailing Love

 

After four months of staying at the hospital, Gui was starting to get better. She was a lot stronger and she could walk father than before. She wanted to leave. She could no longer stay at the hospital. She had missed her house. Even though the school had offered her a tutor and she had refused, now that was getting better, she wanted to attend school. She asked her parents to talk to Doctor Teo about her leaving the hospital. Her parents thought about her request, then decided to talk to Doctor Teo.

Mr. and Mrs. Joo walked into Doctor Teo's office. They knocked on the door, before entering. Doctor Teo was surprised to see them in his office. He motioned for them to sit. They sat down across from him. Mr. Joo hesitated before he started talking.

"Um...Doctor Teo, I was wondering if we can take Ying Jie home with us. We had missed her and she had missed home. We Were wondering if we can bring her home," he said. He wasn't sure if Doctor Teo would let them take Gui home, but he knew that she had missed home as much as they had missed her. Doctor Teo hesitated before her gave them an answer. He knew that Gui was a lot stronger than before, but he was hesitant to let her leave. But he also know that Mr. and Mrs. Joo had missed Gui and that she had missed her home.

"Okay, she can leave, but I have some conditions. One, she must always wear a mask that I will give her. I don't want her to share the same air as everyone else, and I don't want to harm her in anyway. Her immune system is still weak. Two, bring her back on time for her schedule time, so that she can get her shot regularly. Third, you must dress her up warmly. Lastly, she must not stay outside for a long period of time," he said. They nodded their heads, and got up to leave. When they were halfway out, Doctor Teo called them.

"Wait, I forgot to tell you guys something!" he shouted after them. They stopped and turned around. "IF anything and I mean anything, happens to her, please bring her in right away. If she starts to sweat or you see bruises on her, bring her back immediately, so that we can prevent any damages that may occur." Mr. and Mrs. Joo nodded once again before leaving.

When they got to Gui's room, she was already up waiting for the answer. Since they had left the room, she was anxious to know. She really want to leave and go back to school. The school had already informed the students about Gui's sickness and her classmates were her frequent visitors, but Aaron stopped visiting her. She was sad that he wasn't visiting her as much as he used too, but she learned to appreciate his visits. When they told her that she can leave, she cried tears of joy. She was finally going home.

Mr. Joo stepped outside as Gui got dressed. She didn't want to change in the bathroom, so Mrs. Joo kicked Mr. Joo out so that Gui can change. Mrs. Joo stayed to help her daughter. When Gui was done changing, they went to the reception desk to check out. The papers were already filled out, so they just had to sign them. When they were done, Mr. Joo took them home.

When they got home, maids and servants welcomed Gui home. She hugged every maids and servants. She had missed them and they had missed her. She cried more tears of joy. It's been four long months, since she last stepped into her house. When she was done hugging her maids and servants, she went to her room. It was the same as she last left it, but there was something different...

On her bed, she noticed a big Stitch doll with a card and some flowers. She walked up to the Stitch doll and took the card. She read it out loud.

card:
Gui,
Welcome home! I Know that you had missed home, so enjoy it while you get the chance!

-Smile-

She read the card again and again. She didn't recognize the writing. She just got home and there was already a doll on her bed. Who could it be from? Questions and possibilities ran wild. There was no name on the card. She put the card away and went downstairs. She went into the dinning room. She haven't had home cooked meal in a long time too. No one was in the dinning room, so she walked into the kitchen. The chef was in the kitchen, teaching a new student. She was just standing in the door way watching as the chef teach the student. After a few minutes of watching, she walked in. They noticed her and stopped what they were doing.

"Hello, Ms. Gui, I see that you're home," said Chef Calvin.

"Hello, Calvin. I'm glad to be home, and whose this new student of yours?" she asked pointing to the guy standing next to him.

"Gui, this is Huang Hong Sheng," he introduced her to his new student.

"Hello, my name is Ying Jie, but you can just call me Gui Gui," she smiled at him. He looked her for a minute before talking.

"Hello, Ms. Gui. You can just call me Xiao Gui. You don't look sick for a sick person," he said.

"Really?" she laughed. He laughed with her. They talked and Calvin taught them how to cook French food.

"Xiao Gui, did you know that Gui loves to cook and bake. Before she got sick, she would spend countless of hours in here with me. She was my first student. I taught her everything. From Thai to American to Japanese. You name it, I taught it to her. She was a really fast learner. I was going to teach her how to make French foods, but she got ill," he said. Gui smiled and punched Calvin. They all laughed.

Gui was having such a fun time in the kitchen, that she forgot all about the doll. She was enjoying herself. She had never had so much fun, since she got sick. Calvin had brought back so much memories. Calvin was not that much older than Gui, but she treated him as her brother and he treated her as his sister.

Aaron had returned to school. He was doing independent studies, but it was harder than he thought. He couldn't visit Gui was much as he wanted, so he decided to return to school. That same day, Mr. Joo had called him to let him know that Gui was coming home. So, during free class, he went to buy a Stitch doll for. He went to her house afterward, and placed the doll on her bed. He told her maids and servants not to tell her, he wanted to surprise her.

Once school was out, he tried calling Gui, but she's not picking up her phone. He couldn't visit her until later, since he had promised Danson and Genie that he would spent the afternoon with them. After three tries, he gave up and met up the Danson and Genie at the mall. They wanted to buy get something for Gui's birthday. Her birthday was that weekend. Aaron had already bought her a present, but since Danson asked, he decided to tag along.

Aaron, Danson and Genie went through every single store in the mall, and Danson still didn't know what to get her. Genie had bought her gift when they were at the gift shop. They went around the mall for a second round. Hoping that Danson would be able to get her something. They spent fours hours at the mall, before Danson decided to buy her an 'Angel' necklace.

When they were done shopping, they decided to pay Gui a visit. They knew that she was at home. When they got to her house, they were greeted by maids and servants. Mr. and Mrs. Joo was in the main room talking to one of Gui's personal nurse. Mrs. Joo saw them and pointed up the stairs. Genie, Danson and Aaron went up the stairs.

When they got to her room, there was no one there. She looked around the room, but they didn't see Gui anywhere. They went back downstairs and waited for Mr. and Mrs. Joo to be free. Twenty minutes later, the nurse left. Mrs. Joo walked up to them.

"Where's Gui?" asked Genie.

"She's not in her room?" asked Mrs. Joo.

"No, no one was there," said Aaron.

"She's probably outside," said Mrs. Joo, "if she is outside can you tell her come in? Oh, we are going to pick up some paperwork at school for Gui's re-admittance, and then to the hospital to get them signed by Doctor Teo. So, can you three watch her?" They nodded and then went outside to look for Gui. When they got outside, they looked everywhere for her but she was not where to be found. They went back inside the house to look for her.

They searched the whole house, but they didn't see her. They searched the house again, but still no sign of her. They began to worry. They didn't know where she was. Aaron, Danson and Genie to split up and searched the house again. After thirty minutes of searching, they heard Gui's laugh from the kitchen.

"The KITCHEN!!" they call shouted in unison. They had forgotten to check the kitchen. They all ran into the kitchen. When the opened the door, they saw a laughing Gui. She was sitting on a chair with a mask covering . She was laughing at someone. She didn't even noticed that they were at the door, until Danson spoke up.

"What's so funny?" he asked. Gui, Xiao Gui, and Calvin stopped laughing and turned around. They saw the other three by the door, looking confuse.

"Xiao Gui burnt his cake again!" said Gui, as she starts to laugh again.

"Again?" asked Aaron confused.

"What do you mean by AGAIN?" asked Genie, as confuse as Aaron and Danson.

"Well," Calvin started, "this student of mine, knows how to make the finest dishes, but he can't even bake a cake. This is his twentieth cake that he burnt." He pointed to the trash can by Gui. Aaron, Genie and Danson walked closer to the trash can and saw burnt cakes. They started to crack up.

"Ah, man, will you three stop laughing at me!" shouted Xiao Gui. Gui stared at them. She didn't know that they knew each other. No one of them had mentioned Xiao Gui to her, but then again, those three had stopped visiting her.

"You know each other?" asked Gui, feeling left out.

"Yea, he's the new transfer student. He wanted to be a chef, so we recommended Calvin. He gave him your address and now he's been under Calvin's care for a month now," said Aaron.

All of a sudden, Gui realized how much she had missed out on. There was a new transfer student and she didn't even know. She knew that she was gone for four months, but why haven't anyone told her. Anger starts to boil inside of her. She wanted to yell, she wanted to scream, she wanted to know everything. She stared at Aaron, then at Danson, and then at Genie. She didn't know why they stopped visiting her, but she assumed that they were busy with school and work. But then again, they should of have make some time for her. She couldn't control her anger anymore. She had to let it out.

"Why haven't any of you visit me at the hospital?! Why didn't any of you told me about Xiao Gui?! Why haven't any of you come and pick me up from the hospital?!" she shouted it. She had caught everyone off guard. They were not expecting her to be angry. Calvin just stared at them.

"Gui Gui, you need to calm down. You just got released from the hospital," she said to her. Tears ran down her cheeks. She couldn't stop them from falling. She wiped her tears and ran out of the kitchen, before anyone can stop her. She didn't want to hear their lies. She didn't want to know. She just wanted to be by herself. She ran to her room and shut the door behind her. She locked her room and cried. Aaron, Genie, Danson and Xiao Gui stood outside of her door, but they didn't know what to do.

Gui was in her room for four hours. She didn't come out for dinner. Mr. and Mrs. Joo asked Calvin to safe some food for Gui. Aaron was worried about Gui. He sat by the door and waited for Gui to open the door. Mr. Joo had asked Aaron to join them for dinner, but he refused. When Danson and Genie was ready to leave, they had to forced Aaron to leave with them.

Mrs. Joo knocked on Gui's door but she didn't open her door. Mrs. Joo tried again, but still no answer. She was beginning to worry. She went downstairs and asked Xiao Lu, the head of the maid, to get the key for Gui's room. When Xiao Lu returned, they went up to her room and unlocked her door. She wasn't anywhere to be found. They searched her room, until they found her in her bathroom. She had fainted.