Chapter 2

Unfailing Love

 

Aaron was excited about his date with Gui Gui. He had been looking forward for the date since last week. It was going to be their last date, before school starts. He was on his way to her house, when he saw an ambulance at their place. He didn't know why, but he got out of his car and ran into the house.

The maids and servants were standing off the side looking worried. He didn't see Gui Gui anywhere nor the doctors of the ambulance. He watched as the maids and servants paced around the main room. He walked up to one of the maid and asked her what happened.

"Excuse me, miss, can you tell me what happened and why is there an ambulance outside?" he asked.

The maid stared at him for a moment before answering his question. "Young Mistress Gui has been ill. She didn't wake up for breakfast, so I went to check up on her, and she was sweating."

"Sweating? Is there something wrong with her?" he asked still confused. He didn't know what the maid meant by Gui being ill. She seems fine yesterday when they went out for a date.

"Young Master Aaron, she's been ill since her third year in high school. She's diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. She didn't want to go through radiation and chemotherapy. Her family's personal doctor, gave her medications to slow down the process. This morning, I found her sweating and there are bruises on the side of her arms," she explained to Aaron. He wasn't even prepared for the news.

He didn't know what to do. He couldn't believe that Gui Gui was hiding such a big secret. Thoughts ran wild. All sorts of emotions ran through him. He walked off the to side and watched as the maids and servants paced the room. He didn't know what else to say. He had just found out that his girlfriend was diagnosed with leukemia.

Mr. and Mrs. Joo came down the stairs with worried looks on their faces. They were pale and Mrs. Joo seemed like she was on the verge of fainting. They saw Aaron standing near a couch. Mr. and Mrs. Joo walked up to Aaron. They gave him the saddest look, that he ever saw on them. They were great people and like Gui, they always had a smile on their faces, but today, it was different. Mrs. Joo saw a worried expression on Aaron and knew that one of the maids or servants had already told him the truth. She walked closer to Aaron and hugged him.

Mr. Joo watched as his wife held Aaron in her arms. He knew that Aaron loved his daughter, but this was something that Aaron had to face alone. All three of them, stood by the couch and waited for the doctor to bring Gui Gui down. Thirty minutes later, they saw the doctor come down, following him were two men with a stretcher. Gui Gui was on the stretcher. When they reached the bottom of the stairs, Aaron ran up to them, followed by Mr. and Mrs. Joo.

He saw that Gui was sweating and there were bruises on the side of her arms. Her eyes were closed, but he knew that she was in pain. He watched as the two men took Gui out to the ambulance. He wanted to follow them, but Mr. Joo grabbed his arm. He turned and looked at Mr. Joo.

When the men returned, they whispered something to the doctor, and left. The doctor turned and asked all three of them to sit down. Mr. and Mrs. Joo led the doctor and Aaron to the couches. All four of them sat down. Silence filled the room. A few moments later, the doctor looked up and started to talk.

"I don't know what to say. But...I'm afraid that the medications I had given her are not working. Mr. and Mrs. Joo, Mr. Yan, please be prepared for the worse to come. I know that she refused to go through radiation and chemo, but we have no choice. We are taking her to the hospital right away. She will have to go through various examinations and tests. We will also put her name on the donor list. But...I can't guarantee that we will find a match. I strongly advice, that you two go in a have a blood test, along with Mr. and Mrs. Zhou. Mr. Yan, you too, can go and get a blood test," explained Doctor Teo.

When he left, Mr. and Mrs. Joo led Aaron to Gui's room. They wanted to talk to him. They knew that this was going to be hard on him, but they wanted him to be strong. When the reached Gui's room, Mr. Joo went in first, followed by Aaron, while Mrs. Joo stood at the door. Tears form behind her eyes. She didn't want to cry, but she knew that one day Gui would be gone.

"Aaron, I know that you loved my daughter, but this is going to be really hard on you. I want you to stay by her side and be strong for her. In the following days, or maybe even months, I want you to show her that you are strong," said Mr. Joo with tears in his eyes.

"Yes, Aaron, you must be strong. I know that this is hard on you, but we must all show her that we are not going to cry," said Mrs. Joo as she walked up to them. Aaron nodded, but he wasn't sure if he can fulfilled their wishes. He wanted to be strong, but he wasn't sure if he can.

"Mr. and Mrs. Joo, I...I don't know if I can...be strong for her," he said, tears starts to fall. Mrs. Joo walked up to him, who was standing by the window. She hugged him. Mr. Joo knew that it was a difficult task, but he wanted them to all try.

"Aaron, I know that it's hard, but please try. Please, don't let her see your tears. Honey, you too. I'm also going to try. We all must try. Also, Aaron, please comfort Genie too. She is Gui's best friend and sister, even though they are cousins. I know that she has Danson, but you must also comfort her. I want all of us to lean onto each other. In front of Gui, we must not shed any tears," after saying that Mr. Joo walked up to Aaron and his wife and gave them a hug.

Two hours later, Aaron went home. His parents already heard the news and they were worried about him. He went up to his room and saw Danson sitting by his bed. Danson looked up as Aaron entered and Aaron noticed that he had bee crying.

"Aaron, why does it have to be her? I heard from Mom and dad that she has leukemia. Is that true? They one of Old Master Joo's maids called and told them. I don't know what to do. Is it true?" he asked with sadness in his voice. He hadn't believed his parents, but there was something in his gut that told him it was true.

"Ge, it's true," Aaron whispered, trying to fight off tears. Danson looked at Aaron and saw sadness in his face. Danson got up and walked up to Aaron. He hugged Aaron. He didn't know what to say to Aaron. He was also hurt by this. Gui had made Aaron happy, and Danson loved Gui for her honesty and cheerfulness. Gui was the only one who could bring a smile to his face when he was feeling down. Danson had known Gui as long as she has been dating Aaron. They were all close with her.

When it was time for dinner, the two brothers went down for dinner. The Yan family ate dinner in silence. Mr. and Mrs. Yan knew that their sons were affected by the news. Thoughts and emotions ran through everyone. The air was filled with sadness. After dinner, Aaron went up to his room. He took a shower and cried himself to sleep. Mr. and Mrs. Yan watched as Aaron cried himself to sleep. They didn't know what to do. When they were sure that he was fast asleep, they went to their rooms.