Chapter 4

Unfailing Love

 

It was weeks after the day that Aaron learned of Gui's secret. School had started and it felt weird without Gui Gui by his side. He went to classes by himself and he ate lunch by himself. Aaron tried to avoid Ya Tou and Xiao Jie. He didn't want to talk them. He knew that if they saw him, they would want to know what happened to Gui Gui. No one else at school knew about Gui's sickness. Aaron had done a wonderful job of avoiding them, until today that is.

Aaron was walking to out of his last class, when Ya Tou and Xiao Jie was outside waiting for him. He knew that hiding would not keep them away this time. He had been trying to hide from this for two weeks already.

"Hey, where's our friend Gui?" asked Ya Tou.

"She's...she's at home," answered Aaron, without looking at them.

"Is she sick?" asked Xiao Jie.

"Yea, she has the flu, but don't worry, she will be back," answered Aaron. After talking to them, he went home. When he got home, no one was home. He went to his room and changed out of his uniform. He went into the dinning room to grab something to eat, before going to the hospital, when he saw a note. He recognized the writing right away. It was a note from Gui. He read the note out loud.

note:
Aaron, I know that you are worried about me, and I appreciate your concern, but please don't be. Also, you need to get some rest, so please take the day off today. Please don't visit me today.

-Ghost-

Aaron couldn't believe what he was reading. He read the note a couple more times. Why was she doing this to him? He didn't understand what she was doing. He wanted to be there for her, but why is she pushing him away? It's only been two weeks, and she is already keeping him away from her. He read the note once more, before grabbing something from the fridge. He made himself some eggs, and left for the hospital. Despite what Gui had asked him, he still wanted to be there for her.

When he got the hospital, his parents and Danson was already there. He was shock to see them there. They were waiting outside of her room. What was wrong? When Aaron got closer, Danson looked up and saw him. He just stared at Aaron with tears in his eyes. As Aaron got closer, he noticed that Genie and her parents, along with Gui's parents were sitting on the chairs against the wall. Gui's mother and her aunt was crying, while Genie stared at Danson. Mr. Joo and Mr. Zhou were sitting next to their wives, holding them in their arms. He didn't know what was wrong. Danson walked up to Aaron when he as halfway to them.

"Aaron, why did you come? Didn't you get the note that Gui left for you?" asked Danson. Aaron stared at Danson, but he couldn't read his expression.

"I...I wanted to see Gui Gui. What's wrong with her?" he asked. His voice was tense. Danson looked Aaron, then he looked at Genie, followed by the parents. He looked at Aaron once more, then answered his question.

"She is getting her shot," said Danson, "she is not in her room right now. She is in a different room."

"Oh," said Aaron. That was the only thing that came out of his mouth. He watched as Danson went back to where he was standing earlier. Aaron followed Danson. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Joo and Mr. and Mrs. Zhou stared at Aaron. They didn't say anything, but Aaron knew that they were surprised to see him.

Two hours later, two nurses brought Gui back to her room. Everyone walked up to the nurses. One of the nurse made room for Gui's parents. Aaron and the rest, stood off the side. They were watching the nurses bring Gui to her room. As they went past Aaron, he saw Gui, but she was sleeping. Tears starts to form, but he fought them off. He wanted to be strong for her.

When the nurses left, they all went in. They all watched Gui. Her eyes were closed, but she was talking.

"Ma, it didn't hurt at all," she whispered.

"Gui, honey, are hungry?" asked Mrs. Joo. Aaron watched as Gui talk to her mother.

"Ma, I'm not hungry. Is Aaron here? I know that I left him a note, telling him not to come, but I want to see him now," she said with a small voice.

"Gui, Aaron is right here. Do you want to talk to him?" her mother asked her.

"Yes," she said in Korean. Mrs. Joo turned to Aaron and signaled him to Gui. Aaron walked to stand by her bed.

"I'm here," he said, tears starts to form.

"Aaron, I missed you," she said in a voice so low, that Aaron could barely hear.

"I missed you too," he said, fighting off tears. He didn't want to sound sad in front of Gui.

"Aaron, guess what?" she asked, smiling. Her eyes were still closed.

"What?" he asked.

"I got my shot today, and it didn't even hurt," Gui told him. He looked at her. He didn't know what else to say. "Aaron, are you still there?"

"Yes, I'm still here," he said, tears starts to fall. He couldn't control is emotions anymore. He knew that the parents were watching him, but he didn't care anymore.

"Aaron, do you know that you are the first guy that I ever loved?" she asked.

"Yes, I know," he answered her.

"Saranghaeyo," she whispered. Aaron just stared at her. More tears starts to form, he couldn't stay in the room anymore. He got up and ran out of the room. Gui sensed him leaving. She didn't know what she did wrong.

"Ma, is Aaron mad at me?" she asked her mother.

"No," said Mrs. Joo.

"Then why did he leave?" she asked in a whisper. Mrs. Joo looked at the rest of the group. She didn't know what to tell Gui Gui.

"He just needed to use the restroom," said Mrs. Joo after a few minutes of silence. She didn't want to lie to Gui, but she had too. She didn't want Gui to know that Aaron was crying because he couldn't stand seeing Gui like that.

"Oh, I see. Ma, is Genie and Danson here? I want to talk to them," said whispered. Mrs. Joo looked at Genie.

"Yes, they are, but Danson is with Aaron," she answered.

"Oh, Genie, how was school? Did they ask for me? Did you see Ya Tou and Xiao Jie? I missed them," she asked Genie.

"Um...school is okay. It's pretty boring without you. Ya Tou and Xiao Jie? I haven't seen them at all," she lied. She didn't want to tell Gui Gui that she had been skipping school, and she didn't want to tell her that she was avoiding Ya Tou and Xiao Jie.

The parents stood off to the side and watched as the girls talked. Genie talked about school and how everyday was boring without Gui Gui by their side. She also told Gui Gui jokes and stories. Mrs. Joo couldn't control her tears any longer, she was on the verge of crying. It was harder than she thought.

Two hours later, Aaron and Danson returned. Gui was still talking to Genie when they entered the room.

"Gui, Danson and Aaron are back," her mother told her. Danson and Aaron walked up to Gui and stood next to Genie. Her eyes were still closed, but she was smiling. She talked to Danson about work and to Aaron about school. Twenty minutes later, Doctor Teo came in.

"Gui Gui, how are you feeling?" he asked Gui as she walked up to her. The other three stepped off to the side, so that Doctor Teo can examine Gui.

"I'm feeling fine," she said, her eyes are still closed.

"Okay, now try opening your eyes," said Doctor Teo. Gui tried, but she couldn't. She tried again, but still no result. Her eyes were still closed. "Gui, don't push yourself too hard, this just showed that you're tired. You should get some rest."

"I'm not tired," Gui protested, "let me try again." She tried again, but she still couldn't open her eyes. Tears starts to form, as they all watched Gui Gui trying to open her eyes. This just proved that she is getting weaker and weaker. "Doctor Teo, please let me try again!" She tried again, but this time she was able to open her eyes. Doctor Teo wrote something down and left. Gui watched as Doctor Teo whispered something to the adults and they all left. Gui smiled at Aaron, Danson and Genie. Gui started to asked them more questions.

Doctor Teo lead them to his office. He told the parents to sit down, before he started.

"Okay, the blood results came back," he started, "but...there is a little problem."

"What kind of problem?" asked Mr. Joo worried. He was afraid of the words that were going to come out of Doctor Teo's mouth.

"The problem is that none of you are a match for her. So...none of you can donate marrow for Gui," he told them.

"What about Aaron and Danson?" asked Mrs. Yan. She wanted Gui Gui to get better, she wanted to see Aaron's smile again.

"They are also not a match for her," said Doctor Teo sadly.

"What about Genie?" asked Mrs. Zhou.

"I'm sorry, she's not a match either," said Doctor Teo. He looked at them. There was sadness in their eyes. He knew that whatever he is going to say next, will hurt them more than ever. "We can't find a donor for her. I've added her onto the list, but we still can't find a donor. The longest, will be two years, but...she is in slowly getting worse. I'm not sure if she will be able to survive for the next two years. But...please don't give up hope just yet. I believe that there will be a donor for her."

After meeting with Doctor Teo, all six of them went back to Gui's room. When they got there, they saw the three kids standing outside of Gui's room.

"What's wrong?" asked Mr. Joo, as he approached them. The kids looked up and saw that their parents were back. No one said anything at first. The parents just stared at the kids, trying to decipher their expressions.

"Nothing," said Aaron at last, "she's just sleeping."

The parents told the kids of the bad news. Genie cried and Danson comforted her. Tears form, but he fought of the tears. Silence filled the hall. Thirty minutes later, they all left the hospital. It was almost midnight, and they were tired.

Mr. and Mrs. Joo got home. It felt weird going home. Everything was different now that Gui was in the hospital. The house was quiet and there seems to be a lack of life. Mr. Joo went to the dinning room for dinner, but Mrs. Joo went to Gui Gui's room. She took off her shoes, and sat down on Gui's bed. She looked around the room, and tears starts to form. She couldn't force herself anymore. She couldn't fake being happy in front of Gui. Her smile, was gone. She can't do this anymore. Mrs. Joo cried herself to sleep.

After having eaten, he went to his room, but Mrs. Joo was nowhere to be seen, so he went to Gui's room. He opened the door and saw Mrs. Joo sleeping on Gui's bed. He walked over to where she was sleeping and pulled the blanket over her. He kissed her, and went to turn off the light. He looked at her once more, and tears fell. He close the down behind him, and slowly walked into his room. He sat on a chair and cried. It was the first time in two weeks, that he had cried. Before going to bed, he prayed. He hadn't prayed since he got married. He knelt down and prayed for Gui's safety.