Chapter 3

Unfailing Love

 

The next day, Mr. and Mrs. Joo went the hospital. Doctor Teo had called them and wanted to see them. They went to Gui's room and packed some clothes for her. Mrs. Joo cried while she was packing her daughter's clothes. She knew that this day would come, but she wasn't ready. She didn't want her daughter to leave. She only had one daughter and she loved her to death. Gui had the biggest heart and she loved playing the piano.

Mr. Joo stood by the door and watched his wife packed Gui's clothes. Tears starts to form, but he fought them off. He didn't want his wife to see him cry. He knew that it was going to be hard, but he also know that this day would come. When they first found out that she was diagnosed with leukemia, she was the strongest among them. She convinced them that she didn't need radiation and chemo, but even though there was doubt, Doctor Teo finally gave in. Mr. Joo knew that Gui was strong, and this will prove how strong she was.

An hour later, the Joos were sitting in Doctor Teo's office. He was still talking to a patient, so they waited for him in his office. Mr. and Mrs. Joo was nervous and scared. They were afraid to know what will happened to their daughter. They knew that she was stable, but her sickness was acting up. They sat quietly as they waited. Ten minutes later, Doctor Teo walked in.

"Okay, Gui Gui is in a stable condition and you two can visit her after I talk to you. The cancer cells in her bone marrow is spreading. She will need to stay in the hospital for a couple of months. I know that school is starting next week, so...I called her school and let them know about her condition. Principal Wang said that he will try to find someone to help Gui with her studies while she stays in the hospital," explained Doctor Teo.

"Um...when can we come in for the blood tests?" asked Mr. Joo. He didn't want to waste time.

"Anytime will be fine, but I want your whole family to come," said Doctor Teo.

An hour of talking about Gui's condition with Doctor Teo, Mr. and Mrs. Joo went to visit Gui. They hadn't seen Genie come in, but when they entered they saw her talking to Gui. Mr. Joo walked up to Gui and Genie. Mrs. Joo stood by the door, tears form, but she didn't want Gui to see her cry. Gui saw her mother standing by the door.

"Ma, what are you doing over there?" she asked with a big smile. Mrs. Joo looked at Gui and gave her a small smile.

"Nothing, I was just thinking," she said. She walked to Gui and kissed her on the forehead. Mr. Joo left the girls alone. He didn't know what to do. Seeing, Gui's smile, he felt like crying. He need to get away. He went outside for a walk. When he was walking down the hall, he saw the Yan family entering the building. They saw him and walked up to him.

"Hello, Mr. Joo," said Mr. Yan with a small smile.

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Yan, Mr. Danson and Mr. Aaron," he said.

"What room is Miss Gui Gui in?" asked Mrs. Yan.

"She is in room 206, but...I would like to have a word with your family," said Mr. Joo. He led them out to he garden. They saw the sadness in his eyes. He told about her condition and he asked them to help him out. He wanted them to get a blood test, maybe just maybe, one of them will be a match. The Yans agreed to do a blood test to help Gui. When they were done talking, they went back inside.

They walked into Gui's room. Mrs. Yan felt like crying. She had loved Gui as her own daughter. She wanted Gui Gui and Aaron to get married, once they were both done with school. Upon seeing Gui, Mrs. Yan couldn't control her tears. Mr. Yan saw his wife on the verge of crying, so whispered something to Danson and led his wife back outside.

Gui saw them and smiled at them. Aaron and Danson, along with her father, walked up to her side.

"Aaron! I missed you," said Gui as she gave him a warm hug.

"I missed you too," he said, trying to sound cherry.

"Hey! Am I invisible here?" joked Danson.

"Danson! I didn't see you. So, are you here to see me or my cousin?" laughed Gui.

"Of course I'm here to see you," said Danson. Mr. and Mrs. Joo left outside to look for Mr. and Mrs. Yan, leaving the kids alone to talk. When finally found Mr. and Mrs. Yan outside, they walked up to them. They talked and comforted each other. They sat and cried in silence. This was going to be last time the men shed their tears. They knew that from then on, it was going to be a long journey.