Chapter 10

Unfailing Love

 

The next day, Mr Joo called for an ambulance. They had to rush Gui to the hospital. She was sweating none stop and she was really pale. She couldn't get up. Everyone was worried for her. Mrs. Joo and Genie cried, as Gui was carried to the ambulance. They didn't know what happened to her, but they knew that she needed to get to the hospital right away. Mr. Joo and the guys followed the ambulance to the hospital.

When they got the hospital, she was rushed to the emergency room. Genie, Danson, Aaron, Mr and Mrs. Joo waited outside of the emergency room patiently. Aaron kept his eyes on the door. Danson was holding Genie, as she cried. Mr and Mrs Joo was sitting on some chairs that were against the wall.

Twenty minutes later, Mr and Mrs Yan came running. Everyone glanced up at them. Mr Yan walked up to the Joos and Mrs Yan went to Aaron. She hugged him before walking to Danson and Genie. Both families waited for Doctor Teo to come out of the room. They waited for another fifteen minutes, when Ya Tou, Xiao Jie, Xiao Gui and Calvin made their way to them. They gave them the same sad face. Everyone waited anxiously for Doctor Teo.

Two hours later, Doctor Teo came out of the room. He was disappointed, but he was more scared of telling them about Gui's condition. He stared from person to person, before talking. He didn't know how to tell them, but he knew that they deserve to know. Just as he was about to talk, Principal Wang and Teacher Hei Ren along with his wife walked up to them. No one said a word, when they arrived. Doctor Teo waited for a minute before talking.

"Okay, she is in a really critical condition right now. She will need to stay in a different room, a room that is sanitized. Mr. and Mrs Joo, you two were to careless. But, I'm not blaming on you two. I understand that you two are going through a lot. However, we need to find her a donor before it's too late," he explained. When he was done talking, he let them go see her, but they had to wear masks, gloves and robes.

When they walked into her new room, they saw her smiling at them.

"Good morning," she said. Everyone just stared at her. She was so happy to see so many people visiting her. They talked to her for hours. At around noon, they started to leave one by one, leaving Aaron, Genie and Danson with her.

Two months later, Mr Joo received a phone call from the bone marrow bank. Mr Joo was a match for another person and they wanted to know if he was willing to be donor. He didn't know what to do. It wasn't fair. His daughter had to suffer for months, but another person was able to find a donor. He looked at his wife, before answering them.

"Um...let me talk to my wife. I'll call you as soon as I have an answer," he said and hung up. Mrs Joo was staring at him. She didn't know who had called, but she didn't really care. "Honey, I have something to tell you."

"What?" she asked staring at the door to Gui's new room.

"That was the bone marrow bank. They said that I was a match for another person. I was thinking..." she cut him off.

"You should do it. I mean, we already know how it feels like to go through it all. I don't want another family to go through this painful experience. I know that you are hurt, because we spent so many months looking for a donor, but...you should not let your own selfishness get in the way," she said. Mr. Joo agreed with her and he called them back. He was schedule to donate his blood a week from that day.

A week later, the family that Mr Joo donated his bone marrow too, came and visit Gui. They didn't know about Gui, until the day that their daughter was going through the operation. They had heard that the donor had a daughter who needed bone marrow. When the came, Mr and Mrs Joo wasn't around. They waited outside. They also brought their daughter. Aaron, Genie and Danson was going to visit Gui, when they saw a family that they didn't recognize.

"Um...how may we help you?" asked Danson with a smile. He looked at the young girl, she was bald.

"Yes, is this Ms. Joo Ying Jie's room?" asked the older man.

"Yes, this is her room. How do you know her?" asked Genie.

"Um...well, her father, was the donor for our little girl," said the mother. Genie, Danson and Aaron knew about Mr Joo donating his marrow for a family, but they didn't expect them to visit.

"Well, how did you know that she was in this hospital and that she was in this room?" asked Danson. Aaron just stared at the little girl. She seems to be four or five years old. She was cute, but he can tell that she had lost all of her hair.

"We didn't even know about Mr Joo's hardships...at least until after he had left the hospital in Shanghai. We heard that he had a daughter, who had leukemia and they couldn't find a donor. We were surprised to hear that he help us out, even though his daughter was in the hospital. When we heard this, we came as fast as we can. We got here not that long ago, and asked for her room number. We didn't...expect her to be in this kind of room," said the man.

"Well, come in," said Danson, "by the way, what's your names?"

"I'm Mr. Tong Da Wei. This is my wife, Cheng Li Sha and my daughter, Tong Lei Yao," he introduced them. Danson shook their hands.

"Well, I'm Tang Yu Zhe, this is Yan Ya Lun, and this is Zhuo Wen Xuan," he introduced them, "I'm Ying Jie's friend and Ya Lun's adopted brother. Wen Xuan is her cousin, and Ya Lun is her boyfriend."

All of the walked into her room. She was sleeping. They didn't want to bother her. The Tongs watched her. Tears stings the back of Mrs Tong's eyes. She couldn't believe what she was seeing. Mr Tong said a little prayer for Gui. He knew that his family was lucky to have Mr Joo donate blood for them. They stayed for a few minutes, before leaving. When they left, Aaron, Genie and Danson, thanked them for visiting.

One month later, Aaron had proposed to her. They held a small wedding in her room. Even though he couldn't kissed her, he gave her a ring. She always gave him a ring that he bought for her. Two weeks later, Gui had asked him to take her on a walk. She wanted to go to the beach. He asked Doctor Teo if he can take her out. Doctor Teo knew that Gui was dying, so he let Aaron bring Gui to the beach. Genie and Mrs. Joo got Gui ready for her trip to the beach. It was going to be her last time she ever saw the beach. Aaron gave her his jacket. It was a long year for everyone. When they got to the beach, they took pictures. She took pictures with her parents and her in laws. She also took pictures with Aaron, Genie and Danson. They spent the whole day a the beach.

When the sun was setting, she asked Aaron to take her to the shore. She wanted to walk with him by the shore one last time. He carried her to the shore and they walked along the shore. They talked about their life together.

"Aaron, I love you..." she said as she took her last breath. Her arms hung over Aaron, lifeless. Tears rolled down his cheeks.

"I love you too, Gui. Forever and ever," he told her for the last time.

A year later, Aaron returned to the place where he last held Gui. He stared at the sky and sang to her. He sang her favorite song to her. He walked along the beach and thought of her. It's been a really long year for him, for everyone.

"Gui, I'll love you 'til death do us part...forever and ever..."