Chapter 7

Unfailing Love

 

Two months later, Gui became weaker and the school knew about her sickness. It was harder for Aaron and Genie to attend school now. Everywhere they go, people would give them the "I'm Sorry" look or they would tell them that they are sorry.

One day, Aaron was walking to class and someone he didn't know, came up to him and started talking about Gui Gui. Apparently, he knew Gui really well. Aaron couldn't take it, so he punched the guy in the face. Principal Wang didn't suspend Aaron, because he knew what Aaron was going through, but he asked Aaron to go on independent studies. He will still have to do his work and take his exams, but they will have to work online. Aaron's parents agree to let him take the independent study. Genie, on the other hand, didn't want to take independent studies. So, she attends school regularly and visits Gui regularly.

Aaron hadn't told Gui about his independent studies, so everyday that she asked him about school, he would make up stories or call Chun before hand, and asked what happened at school. Ya Tou and Xiao Jie visits Gui frequently, but they never once talked about school.

One Saturday morning, Mrs. Joo was brushing Gui Gui's hair. At first she didn't noticed that Gui's hair was falling off, until she looked at the brush. Luckily, Aaron walked in. She took the hairs that was on the brush, and left outside. Aaron and Gui stared as she left. Mrs. Joo stood outside crying. She couldn't believe it. Her daughter's hair was starting to fall off. Gui had never wanted to cut her hair. She loved her hair. She would cut it every now and then, but she would never let anyone touch it. Now, her hair was falling off. Mrs. Joo never imagined that this day would come.

Aaron walked up to Gui and kissed her on the forehead. She smiled at him. He was about to sit down next to her, he noticed her hairs on the bed. He picked them up, without Gui noticing it. He knew that she loved her hair. He put her hairs into his pockets and then stared at the door. He finally understood why her mother left when he walked in. He was staring at the door, when Gui's voice brought him back.

"Aaron, what's wrong?" she asked.

"Um...nothing," he smiled at her. He knew that she would eventually find out about her hair, but he wanted her to know that her mother was outside because of her. He gave her another kissed, before hugging her.

"What was that for?" she asked him after he pulled away.

"Ah, I just missed me little Ghost!" he shouted. Gui laughed at his silliness, but the was only a quiet laugh. It wasn't as loud as it used to be. Tears starts to form as he watched her laugh, but he fought them off. He wasn't going to cry in front of Gui.

"You are such a big talker!" she joked.

"What makes you say that, huh?" he asked.

"You just are. Anyways, I have something to ask of you?" she said sounding serious now. Aaron just stared at her. He didn't know what she was going to say next, but he knew that whatever it was, he wasn't going to like it.

"Yes," he answered her, facing the other way. He didn't want to look at her. Gui stretched out her arm and pulled his face, so that he was facing her.

"Aaron, I want you to go on a date with my cousin," she said sadly, "do you remember Yoo Ha Na?"

"Yoo Ha Na? Your cousin from your dad's side of the family? Your dad's sister's daughter?" he asked with anger. He didn't know why Gui was suddenly asking him this, but he was not going to date anyone else, but her.

"Yes, she's the one," she answered him.

"Why? Why Gui? You know that I can't love another person! You know that you are the only one I love!" Aaron said, anger was boiling inside of him. He couldn't believe it.

"Aaron, I know that you guys can't find a donor. I'm dying soon. You need to find someone who can love you," she said, tears starts to fall and she turned the other way.

"Gui, look at me, I will only love you," he said turning her to face him, he wiped her tears and hugged her, "Gui, you're all that I want. I don't want anyone else. Even if you are leaving me, I will always love you."

Gui cried for the first time in a long time. She wanted to be strong, but she knew that she couldn't When she asked Ha Na to date Aaron, she had said the same thing, but Gui was not going to give up. She wanted to make Ha Na and Aaron fall in love before she leaves. She wanted to make Aaron happy.

When Gui had fallen asleep, Mrs. Joo and the rest of the gang walked in. Aaron was sitting next to the bed, gently touching Gui's hair. He looked up as they entered the room. He smiled at them. They watched as he stood up and went to the side. Mrs. Joo came and sat in the chair that Aaron was sitting. Danson went to stand by Aaron. He whispered something in Aaron's ear, and they left, followed by Genie, Joe and Ha Na.

Danson led them out to the garden. They told them to sit down, before he started.

"Aaron, did Gui said anything to you?" he asked. Aaron knew exactly what Danson was talking about.

"Why?" he questioned them. They stared at each other, before answering him.

"Well, yesterday night, Gui called me and asked me to date you," said Ha Na. She stared at Aaron. She didn't want to date Aaron. She already have someone that she likes, and Aaron was not her type of guy, even though he was handsome and smart.

"So...did she said anything to you by chance?" asked Genie.

"Yes," he answered them sadly, "she told me to date you, Ha Na." He looked down. He didn't want them to see him cry. He wanted to see their expression. He didn't want to know what they were thinking.

"I knew it!" shouted Joe after a few minutes of awkward silence.

"Knew what?" asked Danson, as everyone stared at her, even Aaron was staring at her.

"Aaron, remember, when I gave you that note?" she asked. Aaron stared at her blankly. He didn't remember her giving him a note. "Aaron, did you even read it? I slipped it into your pocket, when I was standing next you." When she saw that Aaron was still staring at her blankly she gave up. "Oh, forget it. I will just tell you. I knew that Gui was going to make Aaron do this. I knew that Gui was going to force him, so I gave him a note telling him to be strong. Telling him to use his--" Aaron cut her off.

"To use my sincerity. The most sincere answer is in my heart," he finished for her. This time everyone stared at Aaron. He looked at them from face to face. "I read the note. I just didn't know that was the note you were talking about."

"What note?" asked Genie and Danson in unison. They were as confused as Ha Na.

"Joe gave me a note, the day we first met. I don't know when she put the note in my pocket, but when I got up, I found the note. She was telling me to pick the answer from my heart, when she forces...me to make a choice," he said. The note finally made sense. Gui was forcing him to leave her and date someone else. He had to make a choice. He either stay with Gui and spend the rest of his life without her when she dies, or he can date her cousin, and let her cousin fulfill her duty.

When they left the hospital, before going home, Aaron went to get Gui some flowers. He wrote a little note and asked them to deliver the flowers to the hospital.

Thirty minutes after everyone had left, except for Mrs. Joo, there was a knock on the door. She left Gui to open the door. When she opened the door, there was a girl, with a bouquet of flowers. She took the flowers and thanked the girl. She closed the door and returned to Gui's side. She handed the flowers to Gui. Gui Gui took the flowers and saw a card. She opened the card and read it.

card:
To my adorable Ghost,
You are the most important thing to me. I will never love another. You will always be with me...in my heart. No matter if your in Heaven, you will always be a part of me. Gui, please don't make me chose, because I already know what my answer will be. You are my answer. You are the most sincere answer in my heart. You're the only one that can make my heart beat faster and slower at the same time. You are the only one who can make me laugh on my saddest days. The days that I spent with you, will always be a pigment of my memories. Gui, I LOVE YOU WITH ALL OF MY HEART!

-Aaron Yan Ya Lun-

After reading the card, she cried. She didn't know what to say. Aaron did love her, and she loved him. But...she didn't want him to be lonely when she leaves. When Mrs. Joo saw Gui crying, she hugged Gui and cried with her. Both daughter and mother cried. When Gui finally fell asleep, Mrs. Joo kissed her and left.