Chapter 6

Unfailing Love

 

The next morning Aaron got up extra early to prepare breakfast for Gui. It was Saturday, and he wanted to have breakfast with Gui. Danson was standing at by the door watching Aaron. Aaron was too busy, that he didn't even noticed Danson. He watched as Aaron prepared breakfast. He knew that Aaron had wanted to eat breakfast with Gui and he wanted to take her out on a date, but Danson wasn't sure if Doctor Teo would let him take Gui out. He watched Aaron for a few more minutes, before going to his room.

When he got to his room, he made a phone call. He asked Doctor Teo if Aaron can take Gui out. After few minutes of debating, Doctor Teo finally agree with Danson to let Aaron take Gui out, only if Aaron was extra careful and if they stay on the hospital premises. Danson agreed with the conditions and went back downstairs to tell Aaron. When he got to the kitchen, Aaron wasn't there. Danson went outside and saw Aaron sitting in his car. He approached Aaron.

"Aaron, what are you doing?" he asked.

"I don't know. I want to take Gui out and have breakfast with her, but I'm not sure if I can," he said.

"Don't worry. I already ask Doctor Teo for you. He said that you can take her out, ONLY if you stay on the hospital premises just in case something happened to her," explained Danson. When Aaron heard this, he was happy. He couldn't believe that Danson actually convince the doctor to let him take Gui out.

When Aaron got to the hospital, Genie was the only one in Gui's room. Aaron entered the room. Genie turned around and saw Aaron. Danson had already called her, so she already knew that Aaron was going to take Gui out. Aaron didn't see Gui. He looked around the room, and only saw Genie. He began to worry. Upon seeing his worried expression, Genie smiled.

"Aaron, don't worry. My cousin is changing into some warm clothes. I already told her parents that you are having breakfast with her, so they won't be here until noon. That means that you have the whole morning with her. Also, you must bring her back at 10, so that she can get her shot," said Genie. Aaron smiled and nodded. When Gui came back into the room, she had on her favorite sweater. Aaron walked up to her and kissed her on the forehead. He knew that Gui as weaker than before, so he didn't take her very far.

Aaron led her to the garden and they had breakfast together. It seems like an forever since he last had breakfast with her. They talked about anything. She asked him about the latest news and gossip. She asked about Ya Tou and Xiao Jie. She missed them and she wanted to see them. Aaron answered all of her questions and smile whenever he can. He didn't want her to see him sad. When it was ten, he took her in for her shot.

He stood outside and watched as the nurse did her job. He saw the pain in Gui's eyes. She was trying so hard not to scream, and she was telling them to save her life. Tears starts to form. He was hurting for her. He never saw her in pain before. As he watched, his tears fell. He wanted to be by her side, holding her hands, but he couldn't. He could only watched from the side and cried with her. When they were done, she came out of the room. Aaron wiped his tears and smile at her.

He took her back to her room. He helped her onto the bed, and sat next to her. They talked some more, before her parents came in. When her parents entered, Aaron left. He went outside and cried to himself. He knew that it was going to get harder and harder. While he was waiting outside, Danson, Genie, and Joe walked up to him. He didn't noticed them until they were standing right in front of him.

"Aaron, why are you sitting outside?" asked Joe.

"Her parents are inside," said Aaron, "I wanted to give them some time alone with Gui."

All four of them sat in silence and waited for her parents to come out. Thoughts were left unspoken. Twenty minutes later, Mr. and Mrs. Joo came out of the room, everyone stood up. Mr. Joo gave them a sad look.

"What happened?" asked Aaron.

"She's sleeping," answered Mrs. Joo.

"Good, you two are here. I need to talk to you guys," said Doctor Teo as he walked up to them.

"What is it?" asked Mr. Joo. He knew that was some kind of bad news. He's been hearing lots of bad news lately.

"It's about the tests," said Doctor Teo.

"What about it?" asked Danson.

"Well, first of all, no one was a match for her. Secondly, we did find a match, but...we can't really work with that person," he explained to them. Everyone just gave him a confused look.

"Why can't we work with that person?" asked Aaron.

"Well...because that person had AIDS," he said.

When Doctor Teo left, everyone just stared at one another. Aaron is not going to give up hope, he is going to find someone that can donate marrow for Gui.