008: Mind

A Baby's Breath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Previously on A Baby's Breath:

"A girl? Did you get a girlfriend? Jongin, you didn't tell me! Anyway, the other person?"

"You'll have to wait a little bit. Eight months, if I'm not wrong."

"Jongin?"

"Rahee's having a cousin."

  Hailey crossed her legs beneath her body and played with her chopsticks, her eyes glued to Kai while he ate the meal she had prepared before. She tapped the chopsticks against her plate repeatedly, slowly increasing the speed until the man raised his lowered head to meet her questioning eyes. He raised an eyebrow, straightening his back and slightly stretching on his seat before giving her his undivided attention. She stopped the anxious noise-making and placed her chopsticks down, moving her hands to her lap and taking a deep breath.

"What did you tell your sister about me?" She asked, anxiety eating her up since the moment he told her they would meet his sister later that day. She actually didn't know he had a sister, turns out he had two sisters, both older than himself and married. Only one of them had a child and that was the one Kai wanted Hailey to meet with. It was sudden and Hailey had to admit it, she was a little scared over it.

  Kai cleared his throat and nodded at her, understanding her curiosity and anxiety. Maybe he should have discussed it with her before telling his sister, but he preferred this to just get done instead of planning. Plans could go wrong, but if he just did things with no expectations, nothing could go wrong. Still, he had done it impulsively and without Hailey's approval, he had made a mistake and he apologized. Hailey understood and didn't pay much mind to it, knowing Kai, like her, was equally lost in their situation. 

"I told her I wanted her to meet you." He said, taking his phone from the table and browsing through it until his conversation with his sister showed on his screen. He placed the phone down on the counter, gently pushing it towards Hailey and nodding at her, giving her permission to take it when she raised a quizzical eyebrow. She gulped, reaching with her thin fingers towards the phone and bringing it towards her.

  Hailey's eyes scanned through the text messages, her finger gently scrolling down the screen as she took her time reading each message. Her ability in Korean was decent, only when she was meant to speak it, when it came to reading and writing? It was beyond bad and that was why her company still made her and Ashley take linguistics class, probably one of the few things she had truly taken advantage of as a girl group member beneath Bright Entertainment. So she took a little bit more time with each message, making sure she was reading them correctly before passing to the other one. 

There's someone I want you to meet. Actually, two persons I want you to meet. 

Oh? Can you have them come over the cafe? I'll serve them something delicious~

Yes. Actually, one of them first, then the other.

That's fine. Just tell me when.

For the first person, you can meet her today, if you wish. 

A girl? Did you get a girlfriend?~ Jongin, you didn't tell me! Anyway, the other person? Just how would they explain to anyone that they were actually not together? Hailey chewed on her lip, trying to not think too much about it before going for the next message.

You'll have to wait a little bit. Eight months, if I'm not wrong. 

Oh. Is he abroad? 

No.

Then?

He has to be born first...

Jongin?

​Rahee's having a cousin. Rahee, if Hailey wasn't wrong, was his sister's daughter and Kai's favorite girl in the world, from what he told her a few minutes ago. She had actually seen Rahee, some pictures in Kai's SNS pages which Claire, expert stalker of NYX, showed her while annoyingly spotting over Kai's manliness. Of course, that had all happened before Kai and Hailey meeting, having and becoming aware they were to have a child together. The child was truly adorable from what Hailey could remember. Thin brown hair, pale skin, big brown eyes and cute chubby cheeks.

What?

Wait a minute, what are you saying?

I'm having a child. Hailey was amazed at how easy saying it through text made it seem, but she knew it had not been easy for Kai. It was not easy for her to read it. Someone from his family knew now and Hailey felt oddly relieved for Kai. How hard would have it been for him hiding something from his loved ones? More when it was something of the magnitude of their current situation. 

You're not joking, are you? Hailey's expression softened for his sister and Kai both, knowing how the relationship between siblings worked in such situations. One only wanted what was best for their sibling, that wish only was strengthened when one was older than that sibling and Hailey was in his sister's position as the oldest sibling of Ashley. She knew that keeping their child was not in their best interest, but that would not stop them from bringing him into the world.

  They wanted to be beyond that. They were adult enough to have ? They would be adult enough to be responsible over their choice and work their hardest to bring a healthy and beautiful child into the world after their act. At least, that was how Hailey felt. That and she just couldn't bring herself to think she would

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter