003: Talk

A Baby's Breath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Previously on A Baby's Breath:

So there was something in there. Alive. Inside of her, there was something alive, someone alive.

A child. Her child. Did she really wish to...?

"Kai, we've got her information and a doctor too. I will be going to her dorm with the doctor, have him check everything on her and the child. Is that what you want?"

"Yes, thank you."

"Want to come?"

"I've got you, beautiful."

"I've got you, Hailey."

  Kai didn't really want to watch how the doctor stitched Hailey's wounds coldly, but he also didn't want to leave her alone. She had been moved back into her room, which gave Kai the opportunity to confirm what he was thinking: she lived in deplorable conditions. Two bunk beds and a single bed were forced into the small room, which was smaller than the smallest bathroom in EXO's dorm. The living room was only slightly bigger than their room and he really didn't know how five girls lived together in such a place. He had to get Hailey out of there. 

"Miss Kim? Miss Kim, wake up." The doctor called for her, taking the bottle of alcohol he had previously used on her hands to soak a cotton ball with the substance. He waved the cotton ball slowly over her nose, attempting to get her conscious before he did any other procedure on her. Kai watched with his arms crossed, slightly pacing in the small trail between the two bunk beds and the small single bed. 

"Is waking her up truly necessary?" Kai asked from behind him; she seemed so comfortable and even when her hands were getting the stitches, she continued to sleep peacefully. He did not wish to disturb her. 

"I'm asking myself the same thing." Someone spoke from the door, pushing it slightly open with her foot as she walked into the room. She walked past Kai, only giving him a nod of courtesy before she sat on the edge of Hailey's bed, holding a glass of water on her lap. 

"She's been lacking sleep these days. We've been practicing a lot." Ashley said, looking at the doctor while gently brushing her sister's hair away from her face. "Any question you may have about her schedules, diets and lifestyle, you can ask them to me." Ashley said, crossing her legs and blinking. 

"I have a question." Kai said, his mind working on the first two sentences she used alone. "Why are you practicing?" Wasn't their song over four months old? It came out towards the end of 2015, which was why people still contacted them to appear at festivals.

"We were supposed to have a comeback, but now we don't know." Ashley answered simply before looking at the doctor. "Doctor, your questions?"

Absolutely not. That was all that crossed Kai's mind at the idea of her preparing a comeback while pregnant, never mind having the comeback itself! 

"I would like to know how many hours of sleep Miss Kim normally gets, her daily calories intake and how many hours a day she practices." Ashley nodded and hummed, leaning forward as she thought. 

"These days, we are allowed to sleep four hours. Since Hailey and Ahreum gained weight, obviously for different reasons, our diet was switched to 1,200 calories a day and our practice takes ten hours a day, divided in two hours of working out and eight of dance practice. Of course I am not counting vocal practice and linguistics class." Ashley finished, the doctor stared at her, blinking while asking himself how exactly they were up and functioning with just four hours of sleep and 1,200 calories a day. They really looked like skin on bones mostly, except for Hailey, perhaps. Yet if she continued like that, she would lose weight, fast and drop down to unhealthy levels and that could cause...

"Ashley, right?" The doctor smiled at her suddenly, clearing his throat as he looked for something inside his bag. "Could you get Mr. Noh and Mr. Ahn in here, please?"

"Hailey." Her manager's voice sounded far away, so far away she felt it could be easily ignored and she could get some more of the rest she wished to get. That didn't happen. Consciousness hit her with force, the familiar smell of alcohol burning up her nostrils and letting her feel something similar to a headache in a matter of seconds. Her eyes fluttered open and a bright light was shined into her eyes, but she didn't move. She starred straight into the light, taking some seconds to register what she could before doing anything. Her manager was in the room and he wouldn't allow anyone to do her harm, actually, that could be argued over. Just ask Sun.

But she wished to trust him, this time. Only this time. So she laid still on the bed, her eyes following the light with attention and waiting for further instructions.

"Hello, Miss Kim." She was g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter