007: Family

A Baby's Breath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Previously on A Baby's Breath:

"You will carry out what will be your last comeback with NYX."

"I can do that."

"You can't."

"I'm scared, Jongin."

  The satin sheets covering Hailey's sleeping body almost kept her from being able to get up from bed. They were warm and soft, working with the extremely comfortable mattress to make it incredibly hard for her to respond to the sound of an alarm blaring in the room across from hers. When she finally opened her eyes. she noticed she had left one of the lamps of the room on, the door half-open and her suitcase open by the bed. She hadn't noticed it while she was outside the room, but the moment she was left alone by Kai, she felt the weight of exhaustion on her whole body and it clearly was incredibly heavy. She got nothing done.

  She sat up after a while, pulling her brown hair up with an elastic band that rested around her wrist before she pushed the expensive sheets off her body. She listened as the alarm in the room across was silenced which meant that the her child's father was awake, stirring something inside of her and she just didn't know how to label it. Nerves? Excitement? Fear? Disgust? No, she wasn't disgusted by Kai, at all. And she definitely didn't fear him. Why would she?

Hailey moved out of her bed, fixing it as best she could before she had to get out of the bedroom. 

"Good morning." She whispered immediately when she saw Kai's door open, having him appear a second after from behind it. He, like her, was holding a towel and a small bag which she guessed had his personal items of both hygiene and skin care. He bowed at her and closed the door behind him, awkwardly scratching the back of his head with the small bag he held.

"Did you...uh...sleep?" He was mumbling and his face, specifically around his eye area was a little bit swollen. His hair? Beyond a mess. Hailey wondered if she had been the only one who got such great sleep and seeing Kai's current state, she would lean towards that assumption. She couldn't have been more right. He had not slept, at all.

  His mind reeled against him after she admitted her fear and it didn't stop until his alarm sounded, telling him he had places to be and people to meet as an idol. He had responsibilities as Kai of EXO, now he also had responsibilities as Jongin Kim, the human and simple person. Hailey and their child, those were his responsibilities and he wondered what they consisted of. For now, it was keeping her safe and well, but those would grow eventually, as her pregnancy progressed.

  She blinked, letting go of her door's knob and nodded at him, making a small affirmative sound. "Did you?" She asked, raising an eyebrow and leaning in, looking into his eyes and frowning. "Don't answer that." She answered for him, sighing softly and opening the door to her room again, the small table by the door received her things and the door was closed behind her again. 

"You go shower and I'll make breakfast. You have schedules today, no?" She asked, naturally placing her hand on his forearm and walking besides him down the hallway. It didn't feel odd. She was used to taking care of people, especially other idols, but this time, she shared something more with the person she was taking care of. 

"You have schedules today, too." Kai said, remembering how she was to make a comeback and how that meant practices. They had discussed it all the day before and even when he was a little worried, he was happy he had been able to talk about it with her. He was able to see she was doing it to avoid greater danger and she didn't actually want to risk their child by doing so. She did her best to put his heart to rest, promising she would be careful and even a little selfish, if necessary.

"Just studio recording." She lied, soon reaching the kitchen area where she let go of him and walked towards the counter. She opened various drawers and cabinets, trying to remember where everything was. "Do you want coffee or tea?" She asked, frowning as she browsed through the groceries, coming across a couple of tea bags and coffee beans from Colombia. Imported coffee beans from Colombia... she would have to get used to the filthy richness of her child's father.

"Just tea, you can't have coffee, right?" He asked, rubbing his face and yawning as he took a seat by the counter, watching her move across the kitchen as she wondered what she could cook for the tw- three of them. She stopped in front of the fridge, taking a few vegetables out and holding them against her chest before turning around and looking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter