Chapter Sixteen

Énouement (discontinued)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I wasn't the least bit surprised that Sehun went out again before the weekend was over. I did, however, get a bit of a start when the week began and Mrs. Choi was calling me to join her for a late lunch and discuss how to handle the paparazzi photos that had been leaked overnight.

"Just what are we dealing with?" I asked Minseok when he came to pick me up. I had been preoccupied with cleaning the bathroom that I hadn't even checked my phone besides speaking to my mother and sending a few texts to the girls. I hadn't thought to check social media for anything; Sehun had actually came home before the sun rose, waking me up when he tripped over the rug in the living room on his way to bed. After Minseok had called me to tell me to get ready for lunch, I had been too busy putting on makeup and finding a suitable outfit to pick up my phone and open any article.

Minseok glanced at me in the rearview mirror before hopping onto the freeway. "You'll be pleased to know that Sehun didn't actually do anything out of the ordinary last night," he said. "At least not that we're aware of. He went out with the kid who got engaged and Byun Baekhyun for drinks. I dare say, Sehun is actually a victim here. The photos aren't much of anything, just him drinking, but the anon who posted them called him out for . . . neglecting his pregnant wife."

I couldn't help the obnoxious snort I let out. "Did they really expect anything else of Oh Sehun?" I laughed, looking out the window. "Honestly. And everything is speculation. No one has confirmed or denied a pregnancy. They're trying to make him look bad for something that may or may not be happening." 

"Whether you're with child or not, a lot of netizens are jumping on the bandwagon for the chance to slander him, whether he's guilty or not. He's been guilty in the past so they want him to atone for it all now."

"Don't we all," I muttered under my breath.

Unbelievable. Of course, with my luck, things would actually be quiet only to be disrupted not by Sehun himself but by some external source. It was hard enough to keep Sehun under control. How exactly was I supposed to deal with someone who was hiding behind a computer?

"We sue," was Mrs. Choi's answer when I brought up the point an hour later in her restaurant of choice. "We believe Kang Seulgi has found other outlets to directly target Sehun without putting her name on it lest we sue her again. We'll file a request for investigation and sue those responsible regardless. Unlike last time, we'll keep things fairly underwraps as we've neither confirmed nor denied a pregnancy. We'll let the rumors continue as long as possible."

I frowned, cutting into the smoked salmon on my plate. "Wouldn't it be better to deny the pregnancy rumors, therefore denying Sehun as negligent?" 

"No, no, no." Mrs. Choi waved her hands around. "As you said, Sehun is the victim here; we want to use that. By pointing out that people are purposely trying to bring Sehun down in the midst of a turn around, we'll appeal to the public, make them feel guilty for prying and instead turn around and support him to make them feel better about themselves and rid themselves of their foul actions. We'll direct the target on those responsible for making a mountain out of a mole hill, making Sehun shine brighter in the light of innocence."

Whether the method make perfect sense to me or not, I went along with it. It was basically the same steps I took to silence Kang Seulgi before. Mrs. Choi knew more about how to handle this than I did. Apparently she'd had to sue a few people for things in the past so she was very familiar with the processes and how to deal with bad publicity.

It was less nerve wrecking than before, that much was true when I had been forced to give an interview with words that didn't even belong to me. In fact, it was less nerve wrecking than having dinner with Sehun and his parents, which happened the next day.

Apparently a colleague of Mr. Oh's was celebrating 20 years working for Opal and everyone was invited to a company dinner to celebrate alongside him. It wasn't something I particularly cared to attend although it made no match to a one-on-one with Mrs. Choi, which could sometimes be tedious despite the delicious food. I had been to several dinners like this one as Sehun's fiance but this was the first as his wife and I was almost positive it wouldn't be much different; backhanded compliments and slightly offensive questions about our marriage included. 

Sehun didn't seem very excited to attend either. He had been informed of the dinner the day before at work but didn't mention it until he came home and saw me applying makeup. He harrumphed and went into the bedroom when I asked what he wanted for staring at me too long.

Although it had slipped to the back of my mind, I still hadn't forgotten how our engagment party attending had went. Maybe it had been that it was a gathering he wanted to go to because it was a friend's and he wasn't obligated to go, but, looking back now, he had been in a pretty good mood that whol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter