Chapter Fifteen

Énouement (discontinued)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Do you ever have a nice quiet weekend inside? Just sitting around in your pajamas and watching tv?"

It turned out Sehun had made plans for the weekend. When he finally got out of bed in the afternoon on Saturday, he'd barely finished eating before he was getting dressed and I couldn't help asking if he ever did anything besides party.

"It's bit early for the club, isn't it?" I asked from the closet, putting away some of the clothes I'd worn to Hawaii; I wouldn't be needing them for some time yet.

Sehun was standing in front of the full length mirror in the corner of the bedroom, adjusting the turtleneck he had just slipped on. "You would be correct," was all he replied. I watched him pocket his wallet and keys and stepped out of the closet, shutting the door behind me. "If you must know, my friend is celebrating his engagment. Did you know some people actually marry because they want to, not because they're parents force them to?" He gave me a mock look of horror, spraying cologne on himself.

I scowled. "Do I have to assume it will be at a strip club?" I asked.

He clicked his tongue. "Unfortunately, no," he said. "This is a polite celebration with finger sandwiches and children. So, sadly, no strippers. They'll come for the bachelor party though." He gave me a wry smile.

"Why did you just make it sound like you eat children?" I frowned, following him out of the bedroom. I had been doing laundry since early that morning and had finally cleared the living room of my clothes, putting them back in the bedroom, must to Sehun's dismay when he woke up. My next chore would be va but Sehun abruptly stopped in the doorway of the kitchen and swiveled around to me.

"I think I forgot to tell you that you're invited." I couldn't tell if the look of confusion on his face was genuine or really poorly faked.

I straighted up from grabbing a decorative pillow off the floor. I had been sleeping on it since I'd moved in and mentally made a note to go shopping for something more comfortable.

"Why would I be invited to your friends' engagment party?" I asked.

Sehun rolled his eyes and shrugged. "Apparently, you made friends with his fiance? Seunghee?"

"You mean Seunghee from the graduation party?"

"I don't know very many Seunghee's and neither does Kyungsoo so . . ." Sehun deadpanned, looking at his watch. "And if you plan to not take the bus and be late, you have 20 minutes to get ready and be downstairs in the garage or I'm leaving your ."

I gaped. "What am I supposed to wear?" I asked, running for the bedroom and glancing in the mirror on the way. I looked like I had been cleaning all day. In the back of my mind, I cursed Sehun. No doubt he purposely waited until the last minute to bother telling me.

"It's at a country club, so something fancy?" I heard him mumble from the kitchen. "Don't you call them tea dresses?"

Tearing into the closet, I murmured curse words under my breath as I shfited through the dresses Mrs. Choi had bought me, trying to figure out which ones counted as a tea dress.

Twenty-two minutes later I was stomping after Sehun with one heel on as I finished clasping the last button on a red and black dress I'd been horrified to find a very expensive designer name on the tag off. I'd barely managed to throw a coat on over it before Sehun announced that I would be hitchhiking if I took a second longer. I was still fastening my shoe on when the elevator dinged open on the garage floor.

"You know if you hadn't been an and told me beforehand, we wouldn't be running late," I said while limping towards the passenger side of his Mercedes.

He ignored me, getting in and starting the car. "Who said we were running late?" he asked, backing out of the parking spot. "Party doesn't start for another forty-five. It's only a twenty minute drive away."

The -eating grin that crossed his face as he moved the car onto the highway very nearly had me punching him in the nose.

It wasn't until Sehun pulled the car to a stop in front of the country club entrance did I realize I didn't even have a gift for Seunghee and her fiance and I was cursing Sehun again as we got out of the car.

"I don't suppose you were thoughtful enough to bring a gift?" I inquired under my breath, sideling up next to him, watching as the vallet came over to take his keys. Sehun tossed them to the young guy with ease and paused, holding the crook of his elbow out to me. It took me a beat to realize what he was doing and I looped my arm through his.

"Will a flower arrangement and a bottle of La Romanee's wine suffice?"

I tried to resist pinching his arm. He bowed at an older couple just inside the door and lead us both through an extravagant foyer. I tried not to openly gape as the sparkling chandelier and ridiculous amount of wealth pouring from the people milling around.

After someone came and took our coats, we pushed through the small crowd and into a dining hall where the majority of guests were gathered. Sehun waved to someone across the room. 

"Your attempts at making me look like a careless fool are becoming less and less charming, dear husband," I said through my teeth, spotting Seunghee and Jisoo next to a table filled with gifts. There was a giant assortment of exotic flowers right in the center. I waved to them, changing my cringe into a smile.

Sehun slipped his arm out of mine, leaning close to my ear. It almost would've looked like he was pecking me on the cheek. "Don't drink too much of the punch after Chanyeol arrives," he whispered before slipping away entirely and heading towards the group of young men at the other end of the dining hall. I caught a middle aged couple smiling sweetly at me when I turned around. I scurried by them, embarrassed, and straight to Jisoo and Seunghee. The latter immediately embraced me.

"I was afraid Sehun wouldn't pass on my invitation," she said, holding me at arms length. She was honestly glowing in a white chiffon dress, a toned down version of the bride she was going to be. 

I held back a snort. "Only twenty minutes before he leaves," I told her, hugging Jisoo as well. She rolled her eyes.

"He'll get bored eventually. Just let him throw his tantrums."

"Talking about me?" A new yet fami

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter