Chapter Fourteen

Énouement (discontinued)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

While Jisoo went to find her husband, I pulled my cellphone out of my handbag. It was nearing 2AM and I hadn't even realized the time passing between trading stories with the girls and snacking on the fruits on the buffet table. Glancing around, I noticed the auditorium had thinned of a lot of people but the ones remaining were the ones accustomed to night life and were continuing with the party. Most Sehun's friends and school mates, I guessed.

Irene stood, straightening her skirt out and looked around the place as well. "I should go find my cousin, make sure she still needs a ride home," she said. "Should you look for Sehun?"

I honestly wasn't sure if Sehun might've left already, having drove his own car here. I wouldn't doubt he would care little enough to leave me to find my own way home. I shrugged at Irene.

"I can help you find your cousin first," I said. "I'm sure Sehun wouldn't have gone far if he's even still here." A part of me doubted he was.

I followed quietly behind Irene, her long black hair swishing down her back as she traipsed through the discarded balloons littering the floor. In the complete opposite corner from where we have previously been, she stopped at a round table. Two girls were mumbling amongst themselves and a guy who looked a little more than drunk was propped up in the actual corner, ignored by both girls. 

"Any idea where Sooyoung went?" Irene addressed the girls. One shrugged, brushing off the drunk guy's hand when it slithered across her forearm.

The other girl glanced momentarily at me before looking at Irene. "I heard someone invite her to the roof to drink a little while ago."

Irene huffed, clearly annoyed and steered us both toward the exit. "How good is the security here?" she asked when we made it into the brightly lit hallway, both of us squinting against the shock. 

"I'm not sure," I muttered.

"If she gets caught by security for trespassing, I'm going to beat her ."

We walked in silence until we found the elevator and got in, going to the top floor. I had only been to the office building a handful of times and had never visited the rooftop in those times. I was inclined to ask her if she knew where we were going when the elevator doors opened.

"Baekhyun!" Irene said. His head popped up and he glanced between the two of us, nonplussed. "Your wife is looking for you." He nodded, procuring a phone from his denim jacket and gazing down at the bright screen for a moment. He waved the phone at Irene with a smirk, a playful and familiar gesture. I recalled her saying she had known Jisoo's husband since high school.

"Have you seen Sooyoung?" she asked, looking around him at the empty hallway. He looked at her for a moment, bottom lip caught between his teeth. 

He cocked an eyebrow, jerked his thumb over his shoulder, and shoved around us. I barely caught the look he shot me, his stare lingering just long enough to convey that he was getting away before he was caught up in a situation he didn't want to be in. I abruptly wondered just how angry Irene would get with her cousin for wandering off when I heard the older girl already moving down the hallway. 

I swiveled around, abandoning my study of Baekhyun and followed Irene into the stairwell. There was a distant thump of music; someone had definitely brought the party up here. I opened my mouth to comment on just how loud it must be if it could be heard inside of the building when we rounded a corner and Irene came to an abrupt halt.

A girlish giggle cut off the question that rose in my throat. The one it had come from stood only a few feet away, one of her long milky white legs propped up on the wall behind her. One of her hands was buried in the golden blonde locks of the man making his way down her jaw with his mouth. His arms braced against the wall, his shoulders flexing with every inch he moved lower.

"Sooyoung," Irene called out sharply. The girl's eyes shot open wide, a gasp moving from her lips. 

Sehun lazily pulled his lips back from Sooyoung. She looked at Irene, flushed cheeks going even redder and then guilt flooding her eyes when she noticed me. Instantly, she nudged at Sehun, urging him to get off her.

"Sehun," she hissed, her eyes on me.

Annoyed, Sehun boredly moved his eyes to Irene only for a split second and then they flickered to me, in realization. The annoyance at being interrupted that lingered on his face mere moments before was wiped clean. I looked for what had replaced it but he only looked blankly back at me. It wasn't shame; he didn't care what I had just seen. But it wasn't something I recognized on Sehun either.

"I think it's time to go home," Irene said to Sooyoung, her voice hard. Her cousin glanced at Sehun briefly and hurried away from him, fixing his skirt as she did so since it had risen up her thighs. When she was safely around the corner, Irene turned to me. There was a quiet apology lurking behind her annoyance with her cousin. "I'll see you later, yeah?"

I forced a small smile and nodded before she left, her heels clacking loudly againt the floor and filling the hallway with racket. When the noise faded, I slowly moved my gaze to Sehun. Sooyoung's lipstick had darkened his lips and his hair was moussed up.

"You really can't help it, can you?" I said.

For once, he had nothing to say. It was almost funny. 

Swallowing the humorless laughter in my thought, I spun on my heel and left.

 

As the days wore on, the pregnancy rumors began to burn out, though not without leaving an obvious mark; people still wanted to know whether I was pregnant or not, and those who firmly believed it to be true were glad Sehun seemed to finally be growing up and had found someone to settle down with. Needless to say, Mrs. Choi was pleased with the outcome.

I never really got Sehun's opinion on the whole ordeal s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter