| Two

Coffee and Stars

The start of Soojin's final year in college before internship is hundred times harder and more stressful than the previous year. She wouldn’t let a single minute be wasted. So there she is again at her favorite coffee shop with a freshly brewed Café Americano.

                She was so anxious with the upcoming exam tomorrow, and stressing with everything. Coffee is the only remedy for this stress. Unconsciously, she sipped the very hot coffee which she quickly spat out and what’s more unfortunate is that she spat it out on the book that she was supposed to read.

“Aish!” She groaned in annoyance.

                “This coffee isn’t helping me anymore! And now my book is soaked in coffee! How am I going to study it? If only I can eat all these freaking lessons! If only! I am so done with all this damn lessons!” She screamed in her mind. “But of course I can’t. My parents are expecting me to finish college. But this is too much! I can’t do this anymore. I am going to fail!”

                Tears were already forming from the corner of her eyes. “I don’t even want the degree that I am studying! One failure then I’ll leave the program.” she had been feeling down the past days, probably because of lack of sleep, lack of drive to finish college, and the “giving-up” thought. If she stayed at her room, she would probably breakdown, cry and do nothing. She was just too tired, not just physically but also mentally, tired of everything. She just wanted to rest and fade away from everything and everyone. And if this coffee shop blows up right now, she would be more than grateful for that.

 

Hoseok

                Sundays have been a good and exciting day for me, but this time it is not. First, because I got disqualified from the dance contest I was preparing since forever. Only because I already won in an underground dance contest! That is so unfair!

                Second, someone is following me wherever I go. A girl from the dance contest kept on following me for almost a week now. I tried to change route – go to crowded place, men’s restroom and everywhere – but she would always find me. I even confronted her to stop following but, still, she's following me! This is worse than the disqualification. I would rather be disqualified than be stalked.

                I gave up on losing her way, and decided to proceed to wherever I am really going. As I pushed the door of the coffee shop, the aroma of the coffee welcomed me. My eyes automatically searched on her usual spot.

                “The only good thing on a Sunday.” He smiled.

 

Soojin

                I was still contemplating life with my face buried on the book. I was air-kicking like a five-year-old kid having tantrums, as was not in the mood to study.

                “Ugh!” I growled quietly yet strongly on the book that covers my face.

                “Why? What’s wrong, babe?” a familiar voice surrounded my ears. The familiar voice then placed his arm around my shoulders and removed the book from my face. He was sitting on the arm rest of the couch.

                My eyes widened upon seeing Hoseok, partly smiling and worrying. His smile was uncertain though. I was really confused with what was happening, as I only know him as the guy in the coffee shop and talked to him twice. What made me confused more is when he addressed me babe.

                “Babe, what do you want to eat? Or drink?” he asked, smiling hesitantly. “BABE,” he said and then looked somewhere. “I’m sorry if I made you wait. What do you wanna eat, BABE?” again, emphasizing babe and looking somewhere.

                “What the hell are you saying?” I said, somehow irritated. Just because he lent me his umbrella he is now calling me babe? Does he think that I am this easy?

                “Don’t be mad, babe,“ Hoseok tucked my hair behind my ears. He moved closer. “I’m sorry but I have to do this,” he whispered with an apologetic voice, different from the breezy atmosphere he was doing. He cupped my face, which baffled me on how fast he was. I could feel my blood rushed to my face. He looked deeply into my eyes.  

                “Omo… did you cry?“ his hand on my cheek was removed as he sat down in front of me. His expression changed as he saw my newly wiped eyes. “I’m so sorry! Really! But there is someone–“

                “I really don’t know what you are up to, or what kind of man are you, or what you think of me. But I am so offended with how you are treating me right now,” I said, or more like exclaimed in annoyance. I am not really in the mood for his flirts. He is just adding stress to my stressful life! Ugh! This is so annoying!

                I hastily packed all my books and walked away from him without having a single glance of him. My ruined coffee day is now totally destructed because of that horse-looking Hoseok!

 

 

 

                “SARANGHAE!” 

cr.