| One

Coffee and Stars

Days passed since the last day of classes. It meant a lot for stressed students like Soojin so they can have a good vacation to release all the stress and worries from school. Hence, Soojin's family decided to go out of the town for some days. This also meant that she hadn't visited the coffee shop that she considered as her second home.

Because of that, as soon as she got back home, she went to the coffee shop for a quick stop. She wasn't stressed, but it is because she was already bored waiting for the next term. Staying inside her room, watching movies and dramas, and endless chat with friends were already making her sick. Another reason is probably because of curiosity to the guy – she knows by the name Hope –who gave her coffee. The day he gave her a note and coffee was also the time she last saw him.

The sun was scorching brightly that kissed her skin, leaving some droplets of sweat on her forehead. She went inside the coffee shop and she automatically searched for her usual seat. Fortunately, no one occupied it. She placed her bag at the table to save the seat and headed to the counter after.  She ordered a tall iced Café Americano. Her name was spelled correctly this time.

"They might have realized how simple to spell out my name!" Her thought.

She took a sip of the freshly brewed iced Café Americano. “Ah! This is so refreshing!” She said while roaming her eyes around the area. She couldn’t help but to look for and think of Hope. It has been some days  only but she already missed the glances, which somehow filled the emptiness she felt before.

She began losing hope in seeing him as minutes turned hours. “Why am I being hilarious looking for the guy who I just met once?” she thought, smiling while staring at the note he gave to her. She ended up browsing SNS, as boredom started. She was facing the glass window, and she noticed that the sky became gloomy despite of the summer season. She immediately went out of the coffee shop as soon as she finished drinking the cup of joe since rain might possibly pour any moment.

Heavy dark clouds were covering the bright rays of the sun. Cool breeze hit her skin as she went out of the coffee shop. She stepped out of the coffee shop. She felt a drop of wetness on her nose, not from her sweat but from drop of rain falling that eventually became heavier. She took a step back under the roof of the open space of the coffee shop. She opened her bag to get an umbrella. She was searching for the umbrella inside her bag, almost scattering the things inside her bag.

“Ugh! I put it here. Where is the umbrella?!” she said frustrated.

Unfortunately, she found nothing. The rain became stronger together with the wind blowing. She planned to run to the bus stop since she didn't have anything to cover her. She took a deep breath, gaining some courage and strength to go through the pouring rain.

“Whatever happens, I’ll be a wet puppy. So... Okay,” she told herself, trying to encourage yourself.

On the count of three, she would run to the bus stop. She was shaking her knees as she prepared herself to get into the rain. “1… 2… 3–“

“WAIT!”

She was about to run when an unfamiliar yet soothing and calming with a hint of satoori voice of a man called her attention. He tapped her shoulder that made her turned to him.

An umbrella greeted her first. Her eyes slowly went up to see who is holding the umbrella. He was smiling as he waved his hand to say hi to her.

“It’s been awhile. I thought you will never come back,” Hoseok said. He handed his umbrella, “use mine. By the way, my name is Jung Hoseok.”