| Thirteen

Coffee and Stars

“Noona,” Taehyung said groggily.

A very loud sound from Soojin’s cellphone alarmed her entire room. Taehyung was awakened by it but the sleepyhead Soojin wasn’t. She was in her deep trance until Taehyung put more weight on Soojin’s stomach, as he tried to turn off the alarm but failed.

“Noona, please turn off your alarm,” Taehyung said, half asleep.

Soojin was alerted when she remembered she has a job to attend. She quickly stood up and went out of her bedroom. Aromatic smell of freshly brewed coffee and toasted bread greeted her.

Her parents, who were having breakfast, were watching her as she took a look at the breakfast.

“Eat breakfast first before you go to work,” her mother said.

Soojin’s entirety was awakened as if she drank a liter of coffee. “Eh?”

Her father asked her to sit down. Her mother started the talking about her school.

“I know that you don’t go to university and instead, you are working now in a coffee shop. Why you didn’t tell us about that, Soojin?”

Soojin wanted to say a lot but her tongue refused to say a word. She couldn’t find the proper word to explain what she was feeling about the degree she studied. She knew that her parents would still push her to pursue the degree she studied.

“Soojin, what are you doing with your life? You are mature enough now to know your surroundings. How are you going to live by just being a barista? You know that having a degree is a lot better than that!” the disappointment from her father’s tone was obvious. “you are better than that. You gave up everything just because of one failure.”

Soojin wanted to protest that it wasn’t all about the failure. It was all about the dream. The dream that she doesn’t like, that only her parents wanted.

Taehyung slightly opened the door when he heard his father. Soojin saw him. He mouthed, “sorry”. Soojin replied a tiny smile telling him that it was okay. She wanted to tell their parents bt she just didn’t know how to.

 Taehyung felt the guilt when he saw the despair from Soojin’s eyes. Their parents knew about it because Taehyung told their parents the night he asked Soojin to buy stuff from the convenience store.

“I don’t want to continu–“ Soojin was about to say what she really wanted to do but her mother cut it off. Her mother knew what she'll say.

“I am giving you one year break but you will still finish your degree. Just finish college and you are free to do whatever you want,” her mother informed her. Soojin wanted to decline the offer but she didn’t have the courage to speak.

After the talk with her parents, Taehyung hugged her.

“I’m sorry, noona. I told our parents about it. I thought it’s the best for you. I mean, at least you will have the chance to –“ Taehyung was cut as Soojin shushed him.

“it’s okay, Taehyung-ie. I should actually thank you. I really wanted to tell this to all of you but I just don’t know how to,” Soojin released herself from her brother’s hug.

“But noona, you didn’t tell them what you really want.”

“Because they are right,” Soojin said. She fixed her hair and grabbed her bag. “I’ll leave now.”


 

She was walking along the empty street. Her mind was clouded by what her parents told her, “Finish your degree.” Finish the degree that she didn’t like. A degree that wasn’t for her. She wanted to tell them that she wanted to change a degree but she knew it’s impossible.

The gloomy weather was going along with her state of mind. It was cloudy, no one was sure when the sun will come out. She flinched as cold breeze hit her skin. Unfortunately, she forgot to bring a clothing that can keep her warm.

What am I doing with my life? Why am I so unlucky? No jacket on a cold day. Evryday will be a cold day. She thought.

The surrounding was getting colder and darker. The street was still empty. Only the sound of whish of air and her footsteps can be heard. Just like her thoughts, it was dark and empty. The thought of going to that degree just made her more bitter as if sunshine were blocked in her life for a lifetime.

The empty and cold street was then filled with brightness when Hoseok’s head appeared behind a post.

“Good morning!!” he greeted with a very huge smile on his face. But the smile quickly faded when he saw Soojin’s dark expression. “Are you ok…ay?”

Soojin ran to hug him. Hoseok wanted to surprise her but he was the one surprised. He was so clueless of what was happening. But whatever it was, he wrapped his arms around her.

Soojin felt the warmth and company as he hugged her back. Hoseok offered his shoulder for her to lean on. He was gliding his hand through her hair.

A tear fell from her eye which she quickly wiped away. Hoseok was too attentive to notice it. “Why? What happened?”

“Nothing.”

Hoseok wasn’t convinced. He held her shoulders tightly, releasing her from the hug, and looked deeply into her eyes. Soojin’s teary eyes were too obvious. Hoseok gave her his empathic J-NOPE look, telling her that he wasn’t convinced.

Soojin smiled from his cute expression. Her despair suddenly faded away. “My parents already know but they said that I should still continue that degree.”

As soon as Hoseok heard her saying “but”, he brought her into his hug. Soojin continued explaining everything to him.

“Well at least, you have 1 year to prepare yourself. Also, you will have a secure future when you graduate,” Hoseok said, smiling and all. He was too positive with everything. His positivity is contagious. The empty, dark and cold state of Soojin became bright and warm because of Hoseok.

“You are right!” Soojin initiated to walk going to Seokjin’s coffee shop. Hoseok grabbed her hand as they walked together.

They reached the coffee shop, still holding each other's hand. They were all smiles as Hoseok told a silly but lame joke. Seokjin saw them. He smirked as he saw the hands of the two. But Seokjin wasn’t the only one who them – and their hands – but also Namjoon, Yoongi, Jimin, Taehyung and Harin.

Soojin and Hoseok were both confused why their friends were there. Taehyung and Yoongi hastily went to Soojin and started to blab. She couldn’t understand them anymore.

“Noona, why aren’t you answering our calls?” Taehyung asked worriedly but with a little irritation.

“Your brother even came here first than yoy. Harin is here too! You made us worried. But you are just smiling and laughing with Hoseok? Heol!” Yoongi was infuriated as his sleep was disturbed when Taehyung asked him about Soojin.

Taehyung started to worry when Soojin didn’t reply to his text and call. He asked everyone – Yoongi, Hoseok, Jimin, and Harin. But none of them knew the whereabouts of Soojin. And that was the start when the squad looked for her.

“Harin?” Soojin roamed her eyes to find Harin. She was sitting next to Jimin.

“You should’ve checked your phone, Soojin,” Seokjin said.

Soojin checked her phone and there were more than 20 messages and 10 missed calls, mainly from Taehyung and Harin. She made a peace sign with her two fingers. “I’m sorry. But! I am really fine! I am not depressed, okay?”

“Yeah, she’s fine as hell! She was even laughing and holding hands with Hoseok while going here,” Namjoon teased.

The boys, especially Jimin and Namjoon, more. Jimin was laughing beside Harin. He didn’t notice that he was leaning too close to her. He unconsciously turned to her while laughing. His laughter turned into a shy smile as Harin became awkward around his closeness.

“YA! Park Jimin, stop teasing me!” Soojin retorted. She went next to Harin. “You are so embarrassing. Harin doesn’t even know you.”

“Then introduce me,” Jimin grinned.

“I already introduce you to her,” Taehyung said. Jimin smiled at Harin. He raised his hand for a high-five but Harin didn’t understand it. JImin waited for seconds for Harin to high-fve him.

1...

2...

3...

4...

She was hesitant on what to do. Instead, she also raised her hand but she only waved at him.

Jimin looked at his empty hand. Then, looked back at Harin as he slowly closed his fist in embarrassment. “ehe! Ehe! Ehe!” He forcedly laugh to kill the embarrassment.

Everyone laughed with Jimin but Hoseok and Seokjin’s laughter were the most noticeable. Hoseok noticed Soojin wearing her apron.

“Soojin, why are you wearing your apron? Today is your off-day,right?” he said.

“Ah really? Why, what is the day today?” Soojin asked stupidly.

“Hoseok is right,” Seokjin confirmed. “Unless you are here to say something to us.” He cheekily said looking at Soojin. She quickly received the meaning of that “something”.

She widened her eyes begging Seokjin to stop talking. Seokjin just beamed a smile then went to the kitchen.

“Seokjin, wait. Ugh!” Soojin pulled the hem of the sleeves of Seokjin following him to the kitchen. Seokjin was playfully ignoring her as she was dragged to the kitchen.

Namjooon, Yoongi and Hoseok were both amazed by the sight. “Since when did those two became comfortable at each other?” Namjoon asked.

“Last night.” Jungkook appeared out of nowhere. “Seokjin hyung and Soojin noona were drinking here last night.”

“Drinking?” Hoseok repeated.

Jungkook nodded. “Ah seriously! Those two! I never thought…” he overly reacted in amusement and disappointment. The three older men – yoongi, namjoon and HOseok, as well as Harin, were anticipating much. “They had beer and jjajangmyeon without me.”

Taehyung tapped Hoseok’s shoulder. “Hyung, don’t be jealous. Noona is just sometimes forgetful and careless. That jjajangmyeon is supposedly mine but she forgot me! Really, noona, really?!” he said disappointedly.

“Too forgetful that she forgets that I am here,” Harin mumbled softly but Yoongi heard it.

“You should speak louder so you’ll be noticed,” Yoongi said.

Jungkook was just sitting like a good puppy. He was quietly observing them. Yoongi felt the need to introduce Taehyung, Jimin and Harin.

“Jungkook-ie, they are Taehyung, Jimin and this girl is Harin. She is Soojin’s friend.” Yoongi then went beside Taehyung. “Taehyung is Soojin’s younger brother. Jimin is his friend.”

“Jimin is also the hoobae in my school that I was telling you. He is a great dancer!” Hoseok said proudly.

“Ah! I know him! I saw him in one dance competition,” Jungkook was delighted as if he was a fanboy. “Hello! Nice meeting you all! I am Jungkook, the younger brother of Seokjin hyung.”

“What a small world it is!” Taehyung said. He was so happy meeting Jungkook. Harin, too, was smiling as she greet Jungkook. Everyone was smiling except for Jimin who was just staring at Jungkook.

Harin somehow felt uncomfortable as she’s the only girl and Soojin wasn’t around. “I’ll leave now. Please tell Soojin to check her phone.” She left the boys and sent a message to Soojin.

Jimin stood up and followed her. “Wait! I’ll go with you.” He was running as Harin was already meters away from the coffee shop. She was confused as to why he left the coffee shop and followed her.

Jimin was awkwardly smiling since Harin wasn’t showing any comfortable reactions toward him. He rubbed the back of his neck. “I’m sorry if I am always making you feel uncomfortable.”

“ah no! no! It’s fine!” Harin defended but she was actually uncomfortable as she met him for the first time.

“To be honest, I don’t feel good around Jungkook. I mean, he may be nice and such but…” Jimin paused as he couldn’t explained what he was feeling. All he know is that he doesn’t like Jungkook.

“It’s pretty normal to be uncomfortable especially that you are just acquaintance.” Harin said.

Jimin stopped from walking. Harin stopped as well.

“I am comfortable around you though,” he admitted, which was true. Even though there were multiple awkward times with them, he was fine with it.

 

Meanwhile…

Soojin was begging Seokjin to not say anything about her fake relationship with Hoseok. She also told the background story of how they entered the fake relationship.

“Why do you even bother begging me to shut up when it is Hoseok’s desire to be in your fake relationship?” SEokjin asked. It made Soojin think deeper.

Why? Maybe because…

“Maybe because you don’t want to end the relationship with him,” Seokjin said. “Are you already falling for him?”

Soojin could feel the immediate rush of blood in her face. The heat in her face was evaporating quickly, as quick as she denied it. “W-what are you saying? Of course n-not!”

Seokjin was laughing at the defense of Soojin.

"Waah! Why do you even need to deny it? You and Hoseok are too obvious! Too obvious that you both don’t want to end it.”

“Ugh seriously, Seokjin, stop that!” Soojin retorted, as if Seokjin was too scared at her. He was enjoying teasing her too much. He kept on laughing as they went out of the kitchen.

Seokjin’s laughter gained attention from others.

“look at your sunshine,” Seokjin told Soojin. He gently pushed her to Hoseok. “Have a wonderful date! Continue to celebrate your 100th day anniversary.” He teased, laughing which has a sound of a windshield. His ears turned red as he was getting suffocated from laughing.

“Aish Kim Seokjin! Stop that!” Soojin slppaed Seokjin’s arm. Seokjin shooshed Soojin and Hoseok out of the coffee shop.

The two had no choice but just go with it. Hoseok was glad about it though. He really wanted to talk with her since the other night but their friends kept on interrupting them.

They were both indecisive on where to go but their feet kept on walking to the park. Hoseok being naturally loud, he broke the silence by saying random things. “Look at the tree. It is dancing!”

“Seokjin is –“ Soojin was about to tell him that Seokjin is aware of their fake relationship but Hoseok stopped her.

“Why are you so close to him so sudden?” The brightness from Hoseok’s face faded. “Is he the reason why you didn’t reply to my message?”

Soojin suddenly felt her heart beating so fast when she remembered the text message of Hoseok. She was lost for words.

“Soojin,” Hoseok held her hand. “Let’s make it real.”