The Art of Giving In (mihyo)

Jihyo One-Shots

pairing: Jihyo x Mina

summary: Jihyo makes Mina feel like a naïve schoolgirl and Mina hates it.

rating: M (contains )

 

 

 

When Mina first meets Executive Director Park Jihyo she is at the height of her self-confidence. She believes the world is at her feet and hers to control.

 

She knows she will get this job without a doubt, not because she is great, but because she is the best.

 

“Your CV is immaculate,” Jihyo says, lifting a perfect eyebrow at her from the other side of the table, which seems to say for now.

 

Mina feels a shudder somewhere deep down and wonders if she is falling ill.

 

Something about this young woman is unnerving her. Is it the woman herself, or the reaction she is causing, Mina doesn’t know.

 

This perfect little interview with this perfect woman – it all spells trouble to her.

 

“When would you like to start?” Jihyo says, and leans back on her chair, looking like a queen who has everything except the crown on her head.

 

 

-

 

 

Whenever Mina is at work she feels like she has two shadows trailing behind her.

 

One is hers, the familiar and almost comforting patch of darkness that follows her around, always matching with her steps.

 

The other is Ms Park Jihyo.

 

It feels like there are fingertips on the nape of her neck every time she is alone in her office.

 

When she goes for a lunch a click of a woman’s heel reminds her of Jihyo.

 

In front of a mirror, she can still trace a line of kisses down from another red hot dream that she refuses to think about, but can’t stop thinking about.

 

She is doing her job well, but can’t always concentrate on it as much as she would like.

 

Her self-confidence withers away every time when they meet and she is stumbling, feeling young, stupid and naïve – all the things she absolutely hates.

 

And it doesn’t help that Jihyo lets her hands linger on her shoulders or says Myoui Mina like she is talking about a dessert and not an employee.

 

Mina’s only comfort is the thought that Jihyo is just as ed up because of her.

 

But how could she be?

 

 

-

 

 

"I can tell you're upset," Jihyo says, like she knows what other people are feeling before they know it themselves.

 

Mina takes a deep breath and tries to act as if she is not at all angry or upset. She is going to prove her wrong no matter what.

 

Or maybe not.

 

"I just don't understand why I wasn't assigned as the project leader," she says, not liking the sound of her own voice. "We both know I was the best candidate."

 

Jihyo smiles a smile that means to be diplomatic, but all it manages to do is make Mina's blood boil.

 

"Listen," the brunette begins, every syllable as smooth as her tailored suit. "I know you are very capable and could have done this job very well, but Minchul has been in this company for longer and his experience is unrivaled."

 

Jihyo rises from her chair and goes around the table, hair catching light during the motion. She sits down on the corner of her massive desk and crosses one leg over the other.

 

Now she is looking down on Mina and the smell of her perfume is getting overwhelming.

 

So, this is how it's done Mina thinks bitterly.

 

"Besides, the way you are getting angry about this indicates that I made the right decision," she says warmly, one corner of raising in a smirk.

 

It's supposed to be humorous.

 

It works. Now Mina can't argue anymore or she is only going to prove Jihyo's point and make herself look like an utter fool.

 

She is good.

 

Mina realizes that she needs to get out of this company, not only because it is tying her down and not letting her show her talents, but also because she needs to get her out of her head.

 

She is done feeling vulnerable.

 

 

-

 

 

On her last day, she receives many fake hugs and kisses on her cheeks, as well as some genuine ones. She isn't faced by any of them and the sort of nostalgia she thought she would get, never comes.

 

All in all, she is just relieved that she is almost free.

 

Yet, one thing bothers her. Throughout the day she never sees Jihyo, her superior. She knows that she might have upset her by such a sudden resignation after what had gone down, but she never thought that she might get treated like this.

 

Jihyo out of all people, seemed like someone who had at least had manners, if nothing else.

 

As the day nears its ending, Mina feels something in her stomach tying itself into a knot, but tries not to think about it. Why is she feeling hurt about this, when there are so many other things to concentrate on?

 

She gives up hope of seeing Jihyo as she walks back into her room to get her coat.

 

One last time she lets her eyes travel over the familiar room.

 

Just as she is about to close the door, she notices a note on her computer desk. Curious, she walks back in and picks up the small piece of paper.

 

It reads in elegant letters:

 

"Would you like to have dinner at my place, on Saturday, 6pm?" -Jihyo

 

She hadn't expected this.

 

 

-

 

 

During two years, Mina spent in the company, she never heard anyone saying anything bad about Jihyo.

 

In her experience, successful young women would only get two stories told about them: they would either be promiscuous , sleeping with anyone to advance their careers. Or, they would be heartless lesbians, eating men’s dreams for breakfast.

 

It was either or, never anything else. Never anything more imaginative.

 

Mina was sure that she herself would fall into the first category according to the gossip, but it didn't bother her. She had long ago passed the time when she felt the need to please everyone.

 

But for some reason, Jihyo had never been in either category. Everyone seemed to admire her and respect her decisions, never making snippy comments or side-eyeing her as she went by.

 

It was the strangest thing Mina had ever come across. What was it about her that made things so different?

 

Sometimes she wonders if Jihyo is just so ruthless that no one would ever dream about confronting her or talking bad about her.

 

It is somewhat intimidating.

 

Especially now that she sits in her car, in front of the building Jihyo lives in.

 

It's 5:56 pm.

 

She isn't even completely sure why she has come in the first place.

 

It’s a lie.

 

She keeps telling herself that there isn’t anything she can lose from this. They aren’t working for the same company anymore, so there is nothing Jihyo could possibly use against her.

 

But no matter how much she tries to convince herself not to worry, her heart beats fast in her chest.

 

She has worked with and for men who have enough money to make people disappear without a trace, but this woman... She is the only one who has ever made her feel so unsure.

 

5:59 pm.

 

If Jihyo is playing games, Mina is sure she is going to lose – how can she play when she doesn’t even know the rules?

 

 

-

 

 

Mina had decided that she wouldn't bring any presents. For a moment, she had considered buying flowers, but thought better of it. She wasn't going to be giving gifts after what Jihyo had done to her, no way.

 

But as Jihyo opens the door, she regrets her decision immediately.

 

If Jihyo is surprised about her actually showing up, she doesn't let it show, which Mina finds vaguely annoying.

 

“Hello.”

 

"Hello," Jihyo says with a smile and Mina has to fight an urge to run.

 

She gestures for her to come inside and Mina moves before she is strictly aware of doing so.

 

"Let me get this for you." Jihyo slides her hands to the collar of Mina’s jacket and tugs it back slowly. Mina tries to control a shiver that threatens to roll over her body.

 

"The dinner is almost ready. You can wait in the living room if you want," Jihyo says and shows the way.

 

Mina can't help but admire how the place has been decorated. The cold and clinical feeling that comes from many modern houses is absent here. It doesn’t feel like an executive residence, but a home.

 

It looks like Jihyo actually lives here from the way she has placed family pictures and personal items all over the place – but with good taste.

 

In the living room Mina stops and watches as Jihyo continues forward and into the kitchen. She is wearing a black pencil skirt and a white blouse. The outfit is so simple that it looks almost carefree, but she knows that every piece of that outfit costs more than some people's monthly salary.

 

Not to mention that they highlight the curves of the other woman’s body perfectly.

 

Mina sits down and is pleased by how soft the couch is. She looks at a large painting on the wall across the room. It is a picture of two horses, galloping across a meadow. Their necks are bowed, ears alert and they seem to be running just for the sheer pleasure of it.

 

Mina has always liked horses, even as she has rarely seen them up close. They manage to be elegant and powerful, yet seemingly oblivious of their own strengths. It is amazing that a creature that was meant to run away from predators, has turned out so strong and victorious.

 

Even a tame horse would never be fully under the control of the humans.

 

"I got it from my grandfather," Jihyo says, shaking Mina from her thoughts. "It's nice, isn't it?"

 

"Yes," Mina says and smiles properly for the first time. She feels much more relaxed now, sitting on this comfortable couch, talking to a woman who is barefoot and gentle with her words.

 

Maybe she worried for no reason.

 

"Dinner is ready," Jihyo says and waits for Mina to come to the doorway. Once they are close enough, Jihyo lets her hand travel to the small Mina's back, pressing it.

 

Mina swallows.

 

 

-

 

 

Mina finds herself laughing much more than she ever thought she would. Jihyo is a good storyteller and knows when to highlight particularly hilarious points. She doesn't talk about their job, but other things.

 

It seems like she has life after all, outside the company.

 

"You have a nice laugh," Jihyo says after one of her stories and Mina blushes, relieved that she has enough water on her glass so that she can drink and try to hide a permanent smile on her lips.

 

 

-

 

 

"Do you know why I invited you?" Jihyo asks after dinner as they sit on the couch. Jihyo is drinking wine, which Mina had declined. She would have to drive herself home later, which was a consolation if ever there was any.

 

Mina feels some of her previous anxiety coming back.

 

"You wanted to say goodbye properly?" she asks, hoping that it doesn't sound as bitter as it does in her head.

 

Jihyo tilts her head and looks as if she is wondering what to say next.

 

"I wanted to apologize."

 

Mina blinks. She thinks she knows where this is going, but tries not to let it show.

 

"Apologize for what?"

 

"For the way, I dealt with the Hong Kong project," Jihyo says and puts her wine glass back to the table. "I thought that you would just accept your position and be fine with Minchul as the project leader, but I had read you wrong," she smiles, looking wistful.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"I mean that you have much more fire in you than I thought you had. And my mistake has cost us our best employee."

 

Mina can't believe her own ears. Has Jihyo just apologized for the whole thing, saying that she was wrong all the while complimenting her?

 

She doesn't know what to say so she keeps quiet.

 

"I should have been honest with you from the start, but I thought I could deal with all of this my own way."

 

Mina watches as Jihyo rubs her hands together and looks nervous.

 

"What is all of this about?" Mina asks, glad that she showed up tonight. There is something behind all of this, she can almost smell it.

 

Jihyo gets up and picks up her wine glass again. She walks to the other side of the table as if she is trying to put a safe distance between them.

 

"This is just between us,” she says and takes a sip from her glass. Mina tries not to stare at Jihyo’s throat as she swallows.

 

"The Hong Kong project is resting on a shaky ground. The investors aren't all that reliable and we can't trace back some of the money. I tried to convince the board of directors to drop the whole thing, but the shareholders are only thinking about the money they can make."

 

Jihyo sighs and takes another sip from her glass.

 

"The point is, I didn't want to assign the project to you, because I knew it might cause unnecessary trouble. Your career is shiny, you don't need this to spoil it."

 

Mina's mind is reeling. On the other hand, she is grateful that Jihyo has thought of her enough to try to protect her, but on the other hand she feels like a child that Jihyo needs to guide and shelter –as if she can’t take challenges.

 

If Jihyo is being honest with her.

 

"And I'm supposed to believe all of this?"

 

Jihyo smiles so that it makes her eyes twinkle.

 

"Well… You're smart enough not to trust anyone. You don't really have to believe me, just forgive me."

 

Why is she so adamant about forgiveness?

 

"Besides, I'm not supposed to have favorites," Jihyo says, smiling. "If I had picked you over more experienced people, it would have been a bit hard to explain."

 

"But you do?” Mina asks, watching as confusion spreads over Jihyo’s face. “Have favorites, I mean.” She is suddenly feeling quite bold. Maybe because this is the first time Jihyo has talked like this to her. And she is dying to know. So many things.

 

"Yes," Jihyo says, without breaking the eye contact even as she raises a glass to her lips.

 

Mina is the one who lowers her eyes. Her cheeks are getting warm.

 

Jihyo walks back to the couch and sits closer to Mina than before.

 

"Do you forgive me?" she says, voice husky. She raises one hand and touches Mina’s hair.

 

Mina doesn't answer right away, not because she doesn't want to, but because the touch is so shocking.

 

She is desperately trying to buy time.

 

"It depends," Mina says and watches how Jihyo's earring glitters when it meets the light falling down from the ceiling.

 

"Depends on what?"

 

The logical part of her brain is screaming for her to go, go now and never come back, but she just sits there, acutely aware of close Jihyo is and how her hand is playing with a lock of her hair.

 

"Things," she whispers, eyes locked on Jihyo’s beautiful lips.

 

When Jihyo finally pushes their lips together, Mina gasps, eyes fluttering shut automatically.

 

Jihyo's lips taste of wine and lipstick and Mina wraps her hands around her waist. The brunette moans against and Mina feels like the most powerful person on earth.

 

The kiss deepens quickly and Jihyo pushes her down so that soon Mina has her back against the couch that seems to swallow them into its softness.

 

"Does this mean you forgive me?" Jihyo asks, her lips now on Mina's cheek.

 

When Mina tries to answer, Jihyo takes an earlobe into and Mina's only answer is a long moan.

 

Jihyo pushes a leg between Mina's thighs and there isn't turning back anymore.

 

"If you show me your bedroom," Mina manages, and watches as Jihyo's dark eyes light up with lust.

 

 

-

 

 

By the time Jihyo's hands are dragging her pants down slowly, Mina is already embarrassingly wet.

 

She has wanted this for so long that she can't remember the time she didn’t want it. Every word, every glance, every click of a heel has added to her frustration over the years so now that she is finally here, she is beyond ready.

 

She might spiral over the edge just from the way Jihyo is looking at her. Like she wants to swallow her whole.

 

Jihyo might be the architype of the woman, who jealous colleagues talk about. Ruthless lesbian who sleeps around to make sure her career never stops going forward.

 

The idea makes Mina laugh.

 

"What's so funny?" Jihyo purrs, trailing kisses over Mina's stomach.

 

When she takes Mina's right into her hot, wet mouth, the laugh turns into a sigh.

 

"Nothing," she whispers breathlessly, back arching.

 

Jihyo smiles against her sensitive skin and moves so that they can kiss. It is bruising and Mina can't help but try to push her throbbing center against Jihyo's body.

 

Every second that passes is excruciating pain.

 

"Please," Mina moans against Jihyo's mouth and she would hate the mess she has turned into, but the logical, intelligent part of her brain has successfully shut down.

 

Jihyo doesn't comply at first, but keeps meeting Mina's tongue with her own.

 

Then she breaks the kiss suddenly and looks down with hooded eyes so dark that Mina thinks she can see the night sky in them.

 

Jihyo starts going down on her body, letting her lips kiss whenever they please, her dark hair tingling on Mina's skin.

 

Oh.

 

Jihyo uses her hands to guide Mina's legs apart and just the sight of Jihyo's glorious head between her legs makes her moan.

 

.

 

Jihyo smirks before she dives down, gently kissing Mina's wet folds.

 

It is like a fire has been set in Mina's body and she can't control herself anymore, every noise she makes sounding stranger than the previous. She is losing it so bad, that she can't even be angry at herself for being so easy.

 

Jihyo is good, so good and finds the right spots with her tongue and lips like she has been doing this to Mina many times before.

 

Maybe she has been thinking about this, too.

 

When Mina feels Jihyo against her it's the last straw.

 

"Ji-Jihyo," she moans and feels the whole universe opening inside her head, stars and planets spinning in the dark where there is only pleasure.

 

Slowly she comes back, acutely feeling the last waves of on the other woman’s lips.

 

Jihyo pulls away carefully and kisses the smooth skin of Mina's inner thigh.

 

Mina stares at her in wonder. This woman is the most thing that has ever happened to her.

 

But why is she still in her underwear?

 

Mina is disappointed with herself for not having dealt with this before.

 

As her strengths come back to her, she decides it's time to switch roles.

 

"Come here," she says and hears a new sort of authority in her voice. Something dark and impossible to resist.

 

Jihyo raises her eyes to meet Mina's and Mina can almost swear that Jihyo is trembling.

 

 

-

 

 

Three weeks later Mina meets Jihyo at a cocktail party.

 

As soon as she walks into the room she can spot her. Her eyes seek her out of the mass of suited men and their bored trophy wives.

 

Jihyo is wearing a red dress, open from the shoulders. She is talking animatedly to some men who are clearly transfixed by her easy glamour and smooth voice.

 

Then she raises her eyes just so that she can see Mina at the entrance.

 

The room around them disappears for a second, but Jihyo manages to keep talking so that the men don't turn around and see who she is staring at.

 

Mina proceeds like nothing has happened and chats with new people and spends the evening pleasantly enough. However, she is constantly aware that Jihyo is somewhere in the room.

 

Sometimes she catches a sight of her dress and a thought runs into a wall mid-sentence.

 

She hopes that no one can see it.

 

"Mina, is that you?" Jihyo asks, acting as if they haven't been longing for each other all night.

 

"Jihyo, what a nice surprise," Mina says and pulls the other woman into a loose hug, which lingers. Jihyo kisses her cheek lightly and they pull apart.

 

"I heard you have a new job," Jihyo says, eyes twinkling from this play they are acting for the sake of the others.

 

"I have heard something similar about you," Mina says and somewhere deep down she is laughing at how much they sound like everyone else in this room full of imposters.

 

"Oh, yes. I sold my share of the company and now I'm starting anew. It's all very exciting."

 

"It must be," Mina says, and her eyes flicker over Jihyo's neck and the curve of her yaw, knowing exactly how soft they are.

 

"I'm afraid I have to run. I promised my colleagues I wouldn’t be long," Jihyo says, her eyes lingering longer than necessary. She proceeds to shake hands with Mina's friends and then walks away, leaving everyone slightly besotted.

 

Mina stays for a little longer and when she is sure she has been seen, she walks to the checkroom and fetches her coat.

 

Her eyes scan the group of people inside until she finds the person is looking for.

 

As their eyes meet, Mina raises her eyebrow and sees as Jihyo nods lightly, eyes sparkling.

 

She walks out, certain that Jihyo will follow her even without turning to look back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Ahem...