Six

Perfect Protection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I didn't remember exactly when was the last time I could go to the gym leisurely like this. The month we had spent in New York was so hectic that we could barely sleep properly. To keep my body fit, as what a police detective had to maintain, I could only do simple exercises back at the hotel we had stayed in. Committing myself fully to chase the bad guys definitely didn't give a time to spare. Being a police detective was very exhausting and dangerous, but I loved this job. Especially, after we solved a case and people thanked us for our work. That feeling was so precious that I couldn't care less about the hardship I had gone through before.

The fragrant smell of the automatic room spray was soothing me while I was running on a treadmill. The crowded city of Seoul was clearly seen through the window glass in front of me. It's snowing heavily outside that I was glad being inside. My hair started sticking to my temples as I perspired. Beads of sweat trickled down my neck. I tried to keep my breath steady so I could maintain my running pace. Because it's winter, it's been a while since I had sweated a lot and it felt nice.

It was all calm and relaxing until I heard a familiar but unpleasant voice of a person from behind me. "Who would have thought that I would meet you again here?"

I tapped the stop button and slowed myself down, turning my head to see that person out of the corner of my eye. Thanks to my good reflex, I didn't trip over myself due to shock. But, this was bad. I had messed up. Again.

Baekhyun was right behind me. He didn't wear a gym outfit which clearly meant he didn't come here to exercise. Wasn't he in a deep sleep just half an hour ago? Why did he come to the gym? Is it because he knows I'm here? No, that's impossible. Then, how? This was too much for a mere coincidence.

"We bumped into each other a lot lately," he said with his usual flat tone.

"What a coincidence." I tried to be calm. I couldn't freak out right now or I would make things worse. Like this wasn't bad enough, he chose to come near me when Taehyung wasn't here. To add it up, I even left my cellphone back in my apartment, so I couldn't contact him in any ways. Surely, my luck had run out. I felt really insecure without Taehyung. It was one of my weaknesses.

"Oh, really?" He threw a clean towel towards me. "Clean yourself up. You look gross." Before I could response to his insult, he continued, "I'll meet you at the restaurant. Don't run away." He emphasized the last sentence.

Just like that, Baekhyun went out from the gym, leaving me alone with his towel. I was confused and didn't know what to do. With his warning, I supposed I had no other choice but to do what he said. I came down from the treadmill and went to take a shower, hoping it could lower my tension. There it went, my precious spare time.

 

"You're late," Baekhyun said as I approached his table and took a seat in front of him. He gave off a very cold aura that I nearly felt the coldness in my skin. Looking at him closely, his expressionless face was cool in a way. No wonder he was popular at school. As usual, he let down his bangs, almost covering his eyes completely. That's when I realized, it's his eyes. His eyes were the ones hiding his loneliness.

I ignored his remark. "Where are your bodyguards? They were all over the school but I can't spot any of them now."

He shrugged. "I asked them to leave. This is my home. I don't want them to watch me at home."

Great, we were safe from the bodyguards here. "So, what is it? Why did you call me here?"

"To have a dinner. And perhaps a little talk." He raised his right hand and a waiter hurried back to the kitchen.

My conversation with Joohyun at school earlier reminded me. "Talk? I thought you prefer solitude."

"I don't see why that means I don't talk to people."

"They said you don't talk to girls."

"Then you're an exception." He sighed. "The useless talk about me surely is going around a lot at school."

What was that supposed to mean? Talking to him made me even more confused of what he's up to. And unexpectedly, he talked a lot for an introvert. I came to a conclusion that people actually didn't really know him well.

Cutting off our conversation, the waiter came to us with a trolley of food - two plates of beef steak along with breads as appetizer and two bottles of coke - and placed them on the table. "Please enjoy your dinner, Young Master."

"Eat up. It's on me." He took a bite of his steak after he finished his bread.

I didn't touch my fork and knife. "What do you want to talk about?"

He studied my eyes closely, like a predator looking for its prey's weakness. "I wonder if you know what my father's intention is."

I gulped. "Of course, I don't." I regretted that I said it a little bit too fast.

"Well, most people will ask why I think you know first." His expression suddenly changed, his lips formed a grin. He knew he's winning. This was the first time I saw him grinning and it's terribly scary. "Because, denying it instantly will make me believe that you hide something."

My hands were shaking. "I don't hide anything."

"I already knew who you really are."

I hopelessly de

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter