Ten

Perfect Protection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After watching the footage of a serious argument involving an unknown guy and a knife, Taehyung and I dashed like fugitives on the run to the elevator. He repeatedly tapped on number twenty five button as if it could fasten the elevator movement. He seemed so impatient and eager to beat up the bad guy, unlike me. I was nervous and afraid for what awaited us. My heart was beating hard out of anxiety, worrying that something bad would happen to Baekhyun while we're taking a long time in the elevator. At that moment, I wished our apartments were closer to the first floor so that we could reach by stairs.

By the time we arrived at apartment number 2501, Taehyung tried to open the door out of reflex even if it's obvious it would be tightly locked from the inside. He cursed under his breath.

"Why didn't I ask the CEO to give me a spare key of his son's apartment?" Taehyung asked to himself frustratedly. "Hyerin, wait here!"

Before I could ask where he's going, he ran into his own apartment and disappeared from my sight. While waiting for him, I looked at the footage again. It's really a relief that Baekhyun's agility was quite good. He's able to dodge the stranger's attack, he even tried to kick his leg to make him lose his balance. Had he learnt martial arts before? Because he looked like he had learnt. I hoped he could buy us enough time to barge in.

Taehyung came back with his tab and some cable. He plugged one end of the cable into the card reader, next to the door handle, and the other end of the cable into his tab. Then, he's tapping rapidly on his tab with complicated codes I would never understand. I just realized he's going to break into the door by hacking the system of the card reader. There's a beep sound whenever he tried to crack the system's encryption.

"Hyerin, watch the footage! This stupid beep sound will give us away!" Taehyung exclaimed in the middle of fiddling with his tab.

"Roger!" I said and back to my observation.

They were still fighting inside. But, at one point, the unknown man seemed to recognize the beep sound when his body tensed and looked over the door. Knowing someone tried to break in, he instantly grabbed Baekhyun's leg and stabbed his thigh to stop him from moving too much and dragged him to the balcony, trying to escape. He's definitely aiming to kidnap him. And I had to stop him from doing it.

To prevent the abduction, I wracked my brain to find a way to outsmart him. If he headed to the balcony, that could only mean two things. The first one was he had reinforcements down there that would help him get away. But, that's rather impossible since we're at the twenty fifth floor, I doubted that someone would actually climb down with a rope from this height. So, it's down to the second one, he would try to get out from the apartment next to Baekhyun's by moving from balcony to balcony. And luckily, the apartment next to his was mine.

The moment Baekhyun and his kidnapper went out to the balcony, I ran into my apartment, ignoring Taehyung who was questioning my action. I waited for them by the dining table, in the middle of the room, anticipating them to come in from the balcony.

My guess was right. Holding Baekhyun over his shoulder, he came in recklessly, not knowing that someone had waited for him. Baekhyun groaned in agony because of his wounded thigh. I felt bad for him that he had to bear with the pain. Thinking this was my only chance, I lunged towards him for a surprise attack. I kicked his hand which was holding the knife and made him lose his grab on it. After the knife fell down, I kneed his stomach hard to loosen his hold on Baekhyun's waist. I hurriedly went away from that guy and helped Baekhyun to walk at my pace. He couldn't even walk properly because of his injury and he would get in my way so I made him sit down far enough before I went back to my business.

When I got back to the kidnapper, he already had his knife back and he managed to slash my arm when I was caught off guard. But, that's a good thing because he went closer to me, close enough for me to strike his chest with my elbow. Thanks to my taekwondo lessons back at the headquarters, I could fight him back.

I thought he was starting to feel the pain, since he winced everytime he moved and his movements were unsteady. But, unexpectedly he reached for my leg and pulled it to his direction, making me fall down on my back. He sat on my stomach and held down both of my hands by stepping on them. The knife in his grip was directed to my face. I struggled but he wouldn't budge.

Was this the end? That thought came up when I saw he's going to stab me. I had a quick flashback, from the moment before my parents' death until the short memories I made in my new school. I could see the faces of persons who were close to me in my head. My parents, Inspector Kim, Superintendent Oh, Baekhyun, and lastly, Taehyung.

Taehyung, I shouted for his name desperately in my mind. Hoping he would appear like a savior to help me, like he always did.

And he did. He came. He's here.

I almost couldn't believe my own eyes when I saw Taehyung stood behind the st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter