Eleven

Perfect Protection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"This is bad," I said to Taehyung.

Infiltrating the police headquarters would give them almost every access they needed to work towards their objective - whatever it was. We're in a really dangerous state because we're at a disadvantage of totally having no idea about what they're trying to do. And the intruder could be anyone. Probably, between the whole members of the police force, the only person we could trust was Inspector Kim. We're almost with him everyday - except for the month when we're in New York - so he couldn't have been doing suspicious things without our knowing. And if you wanted to infiltrate the police, you would obviously need at least six months to pass the training program. So whoever the members of 'The Organization' were, they had already planned this from a long long time ago.

Having the same thought as I did, Taehyung rushed outside while holding his cellphone. "Wait here. I'll call Inspector Kim."

With Taehyung leaving, Baekhyun and I were alone in the room. I took a seat at the chair next to the bed. Looking his injury up close, it wasn't that severe, but it had freaked me out earlier. The job we're assigned with was serious. We're dealing with a life-or-death situation - the one that made me hesitate when we'd been told about the mission for the very first time. But, I couldn't waver. I had to be stronger.

We didn't talk at all for quite a few minutes. I thought we should have had a conversation. It's better than trying to bear the silence. "So, how are you feeling?"

Baekhyun shrugged. "Good, actually. Except that I can't move my leg freely at the moment. I suppose I should say my gratitude. Thanks."

"We're only doing our job. And this can't be considered a complete success since you're hurt."

He spread his arms. "I'm here right now instead of being abducted. That's all that matters."

I shook my head. "Your father requested for our help and we're assigned to give you a perfect protection."

"That reminds me. You haven't told me what my father's intention is."

Heaving a deep sigh, I answered, "It's not my place to say this, but since the situation has become serious that you're even injured, I think you have the right to know."

Baekhyun folded his arms, his usual arrogant rich boy style. "Go on." It's a relief that he's back being the usual Baekhyun.

It's hard to keep myself from punching his annoying face, but I managed to tell about his situation where there's a mysterious organization hunting him down. And how we had been assigned to be his protectors.

It's weird looking at him fully paying attention to what I say. Usually he would look at people half-heartedly, like their words wouldn't mean much to him. Well, this time the talk was about an important thing which his life's at stake, so maybe that's why he looked at me like that. I shouldn't have expected too much from him. "So, your father didn't have any choice. His last option was us, the police. He asked our help to protect you."

Baekhyun's expression changed suddenly. It clearly told me that he hated his father.

He scoffed. "That old man? Probably, he just doesn't want to pay for the ransom."

"Why do you hate your father?" I blurted. I knew it wasn't an appropriate question. I just couldn't stop being curious about him. He always had this misterious aura. "Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"It's fine," he cut me off. "You told me your story. So, I'll tell you mine. As a police detective, you must have found out a lot of things about me. You know about my parents, right?"

"I only know that your mother ran away from home ten years ago, when you're still eight, and your father became even more obsessed with his work after that incident."

"Seems like the police have done a great job in digging my past." He paused to look at the ceiling blankly. "No one knows why my mother ran away and where she's hiding. Even the cops don't know about my mother's whereabout." Clenching his fists, he continued, "I bet the reason is because my father doesn't spend his time with his family. I heard them arguing about that last time. Since then, I don't talk much with my father and he doesn't seem to care about me either. That made me hate him even more."

His life was what made him become emotionless like now. I remembered how I thought of him as an empty vessel. It was quite accurate. So I really wanted to make him forget his painful past and make his life filled with colors. Making new memories, forgeting the dreadful ones. And I wanted him to not feel lonely ever again. By being his friend, at least I hoped I would ease his loneliness. I decided to get close to him.

Mentioning his father would just make him angrier, so I avoided that. "I think you should give me your phone number. Just in case." I took out my cellphone. I realized I had never asked his number even if we're chosen as class representatives.

He suddenly took away my cellphone, tapping his number and saving it in my contacts by himself.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter