Fifteen

Perfect Protection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Do you remember the first time we met?" Taehyung suddenly asked out of nowhere. We were both lying on my bed, more precisely, cuddling like we had used to when we had shared a room back in the headquarters. This helped a lot if we had trouble sleeping alone, which was almost our problem every single night.

Responding to his question, my thoughts went back to ten years ago, when I had been eight. I smiled as the scene replayed in my mind. "Of course, how can I forget that? You were shorter than me that time."

He frowned. "You're still bragging about that? I'm much taller than you now, for your information."

I chuckled at his retort. It was a cute memory to remember - our squabbles about our heights. But actually, it also triggered a horrible memory of our parents' deaths. Reminiscing the past, I winced as I remembered how terrible we looked in our first encounter.

It was at the police headquarters, a police officer whose name I didn't know had taken me there after they had discovered my parents had been murdered. I couldn't care that there were so many police officers around me, watching me with pitiful look in their eyes. My clothes were drenched in my parents' blood and I was trembling. My cheeks were wet with tears. I couldn't stop crying.

Inside the headquarters, there's a boy my age, sitting on the floor in the corner. He was also in the same state as I was. Blood was all over his body and he was crying too. His body shook greatly, shivering with fear. That's when I thought he had been through the same awful thing as I had.

I approached him. "Hello, I'm Lee Hyerin. What's your name?"

With a hoarse voice, he answered, "Kim Taehyung."

"Ironically, our first meeting is the day we lost our parents," he said bitterly. "Even so, I'm glad I met you."

Knowing where this conversation would go, I became uneasy. Of course I was glad I'd met him too, without him I wouldn't have been able to survive in this world. It's just, I hesitated with my feelings. I wasn't ready to confess if that's what he wanted me to. Moreover, after I had developed my feelings for Baekhyun, it's even harder for me to think that the one I liked was Taehyung. Before things went wrong, I diverted the conversation.

"Did I do something wrong? Why were you avoiding me?" Instead, I asked the questions that had bothered me for days.

He sighed. "You didn't do anything. It was just me. Sorry, I wasn't being myself. I have a lot of things going on in my mind."

"Can you tell me what is it about?" Curiosity took me over.

Shaking his head faintly, he said, "It's nothing."

He lied. I'd never known it hurt a lot if you knew your bestfriend was hiding something from you, especially if that bestfriend was the one you had used to share all of your secrets with. Was this how it felt like? Then it reminded me, I'd also lied to him a few times lately. I didn't want to say anything about Baekhyun to him since I was worried it would hurt his feelings. But, I didn't realize that lying to him while he was perfectly aware of my lies would hurt him more. I was an idiot.

"Sorry," I whispered.

"What for?" He asked, looking at me with a confused gaze.

"For everything."

"You don't need to apologize." He tousled my hair affectionately. I always liked it when he did it to me.

"I do. For example," I grabbed his tie, "this. It must be really uncomfortable to sleep while wearing formal attire."

He laughed. "Oh, that? You've got a point. There's another thing you should apologize too."

"What is it?"

"Your head is getting heavy on my chest."

He's teasing me, which meant he's back to the usual Taehyung, the Taehyung I knew, and nothing could make me happier than that. I smiled and pounded his chest with my fist lightly. "Let's just sleep."

 

I had been to many awkward situations, but never as awkward as this. Inside the restaurant, Taehyung, Baekhyun, and I were sitting at a round table for five persons, with me between them. It was noon, about time for lunch. The reason we were sitting here was because Baekhyun invited us - including Jimin and Joohyun - today, his treat.

However, waiting Jimin and Joohyun to arrive was a slight torture for me, since Taehyung and Baekhyun seemed so unfriendly with each other. They would glare once in every minute, making me so guilty and uncomfortable at the same time. I didn't know their relationship was this severe, as if they were big enemies for a long time. I could sense the tension between them, the intense gaze they exchanged. It's weird, because as far as I could remember, they barely knew each other. Then, what would have caused their rivalry if they hadn't even had a proper conversation before?

I couldn't be happier when I saw Jimin and Joohyun approaching our table. I would have been suffocated by the tight air around the two boys beside me if they hadn't arrived by now. They

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter