Twenty Two

Perfect Protection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I shouldn't have agreed to bring you together with me," Baekhyun suddenly said when we got on the elevator heading to the first floor.

"Even if you did, I would go anyway," I said.

"That's true. But, it's not too late. You can go back. The trade would be much safer than sneaking into the enemy's hideout. You don't need to risk your life for this. I can go through this alone and get Taehyung back safely."

"Listen, Baekhyun." I cupped his face unconsciously. I already had a hard time when I saw Taehyung getting shot, so I would never let this boy in front of me get hurt too. "Wherever you go, I'll go. You're not going to go through this alone. Do you understand?"

He looked stunned for a second before he replied nervously, "Okay."

Looking at his reaction, I just realized that my hands were on his cheeks. I quickly retracted my hands and awkwardly said, "I'll make sure to protect you." I was hoping that my own cheeks wouldn't blush.

After coming out from the elevator, we saw that the car was parked at the lobby and Seokjin already sat on the driver seat. I quickly took the passenger seat next to Seokjin while Baekhyun sat on the back seat. The drive felt so long because no one talked in the car. It seemed like we were trapped in an eerie silence. I thought everyone must have been nervous, including me.

It was still 8 PM, two hours before the promised time for the trade. But, since we wouldn't trade, we decided to visit them in their hideout to bring Taehyung back. They should have still been there, because it's not the promised time yet. When we arrived, Seokjin parked his car a bit further away from the abandoned factory so that they wouldn't realize we're coming. He stopped me before I opened the car door. "Be safe," he said worriedly. "I was against this plan, but-"

"It's okay, Seokjin. We'll take care of ourselves." I smiled to reassure him so that he wouldn't feel guilty by sending us to do our mission.

He patted my head. "I'll be right here when you need me."

"Thanks."

As what Superintendent Oh had instructed us, we walked quietly in the dark and went in through the back door. Weirdly, there's no one in sight. If this was a hideout, then normally there should have been a few people keeping watch, right? To alert if the police came? It's odd, indeed. We came in too easily.

It was too dark to see anything inside. I was wondering how they managed to move around when I felt someone seizing my hands behind me. I was too shocked to move. What made me terrifed the most was the darkness, because I couldn't see anything. The familiar click sound brought my sense back. It's a sound of handcuffs being locked. It scared me even more that I realized someone had put handcuffs on my hands. We were caught the moment we came in.

My head was spinning like crazy. How could this possibly happen? Did this even make sense? It's like we're just walking into a trap. Wait. What if this was really a trap? We'd been sure before that someone from this organization had infiltrated our headquarters. Our greatest suspect was Detective Do. Was this his doing?

Before I could even struggle to free myself from the strong grip on my hands, the whole factory was suddenly lit up. I blinked several times to adjust my eyes to the abrupt brightness. The sight in front of me was horrifying. It was absolutely a trap. A giant trap. We were surrounded by so many people wearing black, probably the whole members of the organization. They were fixating their eyes on us who were now forced to knee in the middle of the circle. My guns were taken from me as I dropped to my knees. Something bumped against my head that made me turned towards it.

A gun was shoved into my head and the one who held the gun was Detective Do.

"You!" I shouted in frustration.

"Shut up!" Detective Do said, smacking my head with his gun.

I groaned because of the pain that made my head throbbing. I could feel blood trickling down my left temple.

"Teacher Jung? Why?" I heard Baekhyun's yelling.

I snapped my head to my right side and saw Inspector Jung was holding a gun pointed to Baekhyun's head.

"You too?" I couldn't even believe my eyes anymore. There's not only one of them, but two members had infiltrated our headquarters. Had our headquarters security gone that bad?

"Welcome, my friends!" A man moved forward, approaching us. I remembered his husky voice so well. He's the one talking in the phone earlier. "What a surprise!"

I kept quiet because I knew I was helpless right now. I could only wish the reinforcement that Superintendent Oh was talking about would come sooner.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter