Twenty

Perfect Protection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What happened?" Taehyung barged into the meeting room at the second floor of our headquarters without knocking. I was right behind him, closing the door as I went in.

The reason why we had rushed here was because of the urgent call from Superintendent Oh just a few minutes after midnight, which was about ten minutes ago. Taehyung had driven like crazy, luckily the street had been empty since it's late. We had got here incredibly fast that I'd thought he would have been an awesome racer if he hadn't been a cop.

Inside the room, there were only Superintendent Oh and Inspector Kim. They looked like they were discussing something so seriously that they hadn't realized we're here until Taehyung had asked them.

"I just found out that your school's event tomorrow is open to the public. Anyone can enter freely," Superintendent Oh started. His expression looked worried which made me even more worried and anxious. His words just reminded me of the worst possible circumstance ever.

"Yes?" I asked him to explain more even though I had an idea what he would say next.

"That would be a perfect chance for them to sneak in and kidnap Baekhyun. Don't you think so?"

"What are you planning then?" Taehyung asked.

"We double the protection," Inspector Kim answered. "Three of us will never leave his side tomorrow. I will also bring my bulletproof car to the school, fully armed. Just in case."

"I assigned our whole homicide division police officers to guard the perimeter during the event," Superintendent Oh added. "We go all out. This might be our last battle with 'Shadow'. Are we clear?"

"Yes, Sir," Taehyung and I answered in unison.

I had never expected that a joyful school's Christmas event could turn into a blood bath. It was our last battle, at the same time, it was also our last day to be students in that school. At least, enjoying the moment right before the attack wasn't a wrong thing, right?

 

"Oh my gosh, Hyerin! You're so pretty," Joohyun squeaked as I walked out from the restroom after putting on the maid costume she had rented from a cosplay rental shop.

"I feel silly," I said while looking down at my maid outfit.

"Not at all! You look beautiful!" Joohyun was wearing a long black dress with a pointy hat, her hand holding a wooden staff, which I assumed she was supposed to be a witch. Strangely, that costume suited her so much that I thought she had the potential to be a malicious lady with a weird laugh. Or a witch.

"You too. You look great in that outfit," I complimented.

She chuckled. "Thanks! Let's go back to the class! It seems people are coming already!"

Without waiting for my response, she pulled my hand and dragged me with her along the hallway until we arrived in our class. To my surprise, it was already nicely decorated. The students who were in charge in decorating really had done a great job. It looked like a real Christmas-themed cafe with the tables and the small stage. There's a huge Christmas tree in the corner, complete with the presents under it. Our classmates were roaming around to serve the customers while wearing their costumes. I could see Batman, Naruto, Captain America, Harry Potter, and other amazing cosplays.

Our cafe was really crowded that I couldn't spot our friends. Neither Jimin, Taehyung, nor Baekhyun was in sight. I was getting anxious when someone tapped my shoulder from behind. I almost jumped out of surprise when I saw a red eyed Taehyung wearing a black suit with a red cape and blood dripping from the corners of his mouth. Was he supposed to be a vampire?

"Geez. Taehyung, don't scare me like that," I complained. "What's with your outfit?"

He flipped his cape around to show it to me. "Can't you see? I'm a vampire."

"I almost thought this was a halloween-themed cafe because of you."

"Don't mind her, Taehyung. You're really cool. She just doesn't want to admit it." Joohyun gave a thumbs up for him which made me roll my eyes.

Taehyung grinned. "Don't worry, Hyerin. You're super gorgeous as well." He didn't forget to wink, as he used to do when he teased me.

"What are you guys doing? Blocking the entrance?" Baekhyun strode in between the three of us, shoving us away while he walked. I didn't realize we had been blocking the doorway of our class if he hadn't mentioned it. We stepped aside and followed him inside.

Baekhyun wore a doctor coat with a fake stethoscope around his neck. He looked really cool that my mind went blank when he passed by me. I thought if he were a real doctor, he would be the most handsome doctor in the country.

"You look," Taehyung paused to observe him longer, "smart."

"Thanks for that half-hearted compliment," Baekhyun said, obviously unamused. "You look," he narrowed his eyes, "vicious. If you ask my opinion."

Before Taehyung could respond, Jimin came and put his arms around their shoulders. "Why did you leave me? I asked you to wait," Jimin complained. Then, he laid his eyes on me and Joohyun. "Hi, girls!"

Jimi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter