Year One (Part 2)

The Half-Breed

"Hello, I'm Tiffany" an eye smiling girl greeted. Sooyeon thought she looked familiar until she remembered that She heard that this girl was like Sooyeon herself dual-souled."Hi, I'm Jessica" Sooyeon greeted back. People seemed to have trouble saying her name so she went by her English name instead. "You're good with potions right?" Tiffany asked tilting her head to the side cutely. "Yes, you're quite good with charms I heard" Jessica replied and Tiffany beamed at that. "I like you" Tiffany announced and wrapped her arm around the blonde woman's shoulder. 

 

***

 

Tiffany was very outgoing and as a result, the two quiet Slytherins accidently got themselves a lot of friends thanks to the Gryffindor. 

"Don't get me wrong you two seem nice, but most Slytherin are kind of weird..." One of their new Gryffindor friends said. Taeyeon and Jessica were silent they didn't feel like the argument was one worth taking. They knew that their house which they proudly belonged to took care of themselves. No matter what. 

"Shut up Sooyoung! Don't you see that they feel uncomfortable when you say stuff like that!"  Hyoyeon one of their Hufflepuff friends scolded. 

"Let's just forget about it" Taeyeon cut in before a fight could break out again. "I'm not in the mood to bring either of you to the hospital wing..." Jessica stated and swirled her wand like it was a pencil between her fingers. 

"Back to the subject guys!" Sunny another of their Hufflepuff friends said. "So wanna fly down to Hogsmeade and stroll around?" She continued. "Won't it be tiring to carry around our brooms?" The infamously lazy Jessica asked. "Maybe we should just walk then." the youngest of them all asked. "Good one Seohyun" Yoona who were Seohyun's fellow Ravenclaw said. "Let's just get going before we won't be able to go at all" Yuri another one of their Gryffindor friends said tiredly. 

 

***

 

"So, like you have the force and stuff?" Yuri asked Jessica when the group of friends walked through the enormous candy store. "Don't be rude" Sooyoung slapped the back of Yuri's head to teach her some manners. "It's okay, I do have the force but I haven't begun my knight training yet so I can't really use or control it" Jessica said offhandedly as she looked through the shelves for something she would like. "How about some every flavor jelly beans?" Taeyeon suggested noticing Jessica was unable to choose something. "We all know I don't have the luck for those, I'd rather have something with a 100% chance of sweetness" Jessica responded and grabbed a bag of candy that finally seemed normal enough.

"Leave the jelly beans to the Gryffindors." Seohyun said with a smile and the four Slytherin and Ravenclaw friends agreed.

 

***

 

"Are you really going to eat that?" Yoona asked sounding rather repulsed.

"It just looks and smells a little odd. It can't be that bad" Hyoyeon said as she cut into her shrivel of meat on her plate. 

"let's hope so!" Tiffany laughed and for some reason, the entire group laughed along. Maybe because they were so tired or maybe because they felt so at home together. Hyoyeon spit the supposed to be meat out onto the plate again and made a grimace. Jessica giggled while Seohyun tried to hold a poker face but it was difficult especially when the Gryffindors and Yoona roared with laughter. 

 

***

 

In potions and Astronomy class, Jessica was always grouped with Seohyun and a Hufflepuff boy who seemed to hate the blonde girl for no known reason. Jessica did well in class and she listened to the teacher and wrote down notes and tricks she picked up so she could share them with her close friends but the Hufflepuff seemed to despise her.

The teacher eventually picked up on it and the Hufflepuff was moved and so only Seohyun and Jessica worked together. They seemed more at ease together, They were both clever and quick witted and more often than not their other friends asked for help because their potion turned out in another color or smelled different. 

 

***

 

In Herbology,  Yoona and Sunny were the most efficient. Jessica didn't like to dirty her hands and Taeyeon facepalmed herself at that. How could you possibly train to be a Jedi knight if you don't like getting dirty? Jessica of course, countered with what if she didn't want to be a knight at all. The others groaned. She had no other choice wasn't it obvious? 

 

***

 

In Charms, Tiffany was the only person in the entire class who seemed to have a natural talent for it and Tiffany was only a half-blood. There was grace behind that smiling mask of hers and fierceness but she hid it so well. It wasn't until you found yourself wand to wand with the woman that you realised that maybe you picked the wrong girl to duel. 

 

***

 

To no one's surprise Sooyoung and Yuri where the talents in Defence Against the Dark Arts. They were simply so brave it was kind of foolish. The teacher often advised to not take the risks the two friends took. 

 

***

 

During Transfiguration Hyoyeon was the go-to-girl. It seemed so natural to the dance loving woman as if she had known it her entire life. But Hyoyeon was like Taeyeon: muggle born. 

 

***

 

As for History of Magic and Magical Theory, there were a few other people in class who did that more fluently than any in Jessica's friend group. A fellow Slytherin grouped with another Ravenclaw did it especially well. Heo Gayoon and Nam Jihyun were their names if Jessica remembered correctly and they were both pureblooded. From what Yuri had told them their parents worked for the ministry of magic and where of very high social status. Jessica was intrigued and Taeyeon rather repulsed. 

 

***

 

Taking their first flying class went well despite the gracious Hyoyeon almost falling off once or twice much to everyone's entertainment. Taeyeon did surprisingly well in the air together with Sunny while Yuri and Sooyoung stubbornly struggled. Jessica, Seohyun and Yoona was all about average. Well, some things take longer to master than others Jessica supposed.

 

***

 

There wasn't a whole lot to do in between classes except bathroom breaks and comparing their notes. Sometimes having a harmless duel with harmless spells. Which to Jessica's personal taste was a waste of energy.

 

Sometimes Jessica could feel the force flow through her veins but she was still unused to it and ended up feeling nauseous and tired. She did her best trying to hide it but sometimes it was too obvious she was in discomfort. Not that there was a lot anyone or even Jessica herself could do about it. 

 

Jessica didn't sleep much at night, she preferred studying, reading a book or writing a letter to her little sister. Telling her about her new friends and the things they did together. How the headmaster seemed old enough to die at any second of boredom. And how delicious the meals was. Jessica made sure to end each letter with

 "It really is magical, yours sincerely Sooyeon"

 

***

 

After winter break, Tiffany returned more relieved after seeing her mother still alive. While Jessica returned rather exhausted. The poor girl had spent her break in boot camp training to control the force and some basic fencing. Too much work and too little aircon Jessica whined and complained but the person who trained her didn't seem to care. The training only grew more intense. Jessica told her friends all about where she been and what she learned and how everything seemed so different yet so familiar. Yuri was especially impressed. She too wanted to be a knight when she grew up and Yoona laughed at that. How could someone as dorky as Yuri possibly be a knight when she can hardly stand on her own two feet.

 

***

 

Jessica for the first time cursed being both Jedi and a witch. But she knew that her life had only just begun. Jessica wished she had a time machine so she could do two things at once or be two places at the same time. 

 

So she could be good at both but not be as worn out. Jessica didn't know how she would manage six more years like this but somehow she would have to figure something out.