This is Your Life

The Half-Breed

"Did you collect random scrap from a trash can? Jessica's mentor asked. 

"...No, I collected everything that called my name" Jessica said with furrowed eyebrows. 

"Alright, ehm, start meditating and we'll get going straight away" 

 

***

 

Piece by piece Jessica assembled her lightsaber which turned out to be one curve hilted and one tonfa style. One with a green and the other with a blue saber. 

But she wasn't able to stop there. She made 8 other lightsabers. All individual. In her head she could see her friends faces. Jessica knew from that moment that those seemingly random girls. Was part of something bigger than any of them could imagine.

"Do you have ten arms, child?" Jessica's mentor asked after the girl finished esembling the lightsabers using the force. 

"They're for my friends, except these two" Jessica spoke, using the force to hoover her own two sabers into her hands. "Why do this have two buttons?" Jessica's mentor asked herself out loud as she picked up the tonfa style hilt. Almost dropping the device in surprise when a extra blade extended from the short end of the weapon. "...so that's why..." she murmured, putting the saber down.

"Your friends? You mean your wizard friends?" Jessica nodded. "You know what's really dangerous... none of them are trained either" the mentor spoke. "Jasmine, the force is telling me to do it. To help them so we can help others" 

"Don't call me that! I'm your master" 

"Mentor" Jessica cut in. She hated the sound of master. Made it sound like she was some sort of object or trophe wife. 

"These weapons is your life, if you lose or break them you could be in real danger" Jasmine spoke firmly. Jessica nodded in response. 

"Come on, let's get you some gear" Jasmine motioned with her hand for Jessica to follow along and together they went to the weapenry to look through the stuff. 

Jasmine was thorough, she scanned each item systematically before she decided to let Jessica try it on or not. Eventually they settled for black pants and a darkbrown, black-ish layered linnen shirt covered in leather, shoulder and arm guards. Leg protection over black boots, gauntlet like gloves and a brown belt which went across one of her shoulders. The belt had pockets and holsters for the lightsabers and other useful tools or equipment.

"I look a bit like a bad guy don't I? Jessica asked checking herself in the full body mirror. "I've seen badder" Jasmine spoke and Jessica whined. With a dark brown cloak over it all it didn't look to shabby. "Cloak to the rescue" Jasmine joked and Jessica could do nothing but laugh and agree.

From the side of her eye she spotted a mask that covered the upper half of the face. 

"I want one!" She exclaimed and walked over to take a closer look. 

"You'll definitely look like a bad guy then" 

"But I want one! It'll look really cool!" Jasmine facepalmed herself but allowed Jessica to get herself one. 

First they needed to make a face mould so they could then make the mask fit perfectly. Jessica then desiged it's apperence. Well she wanted it black, plain, it to cover most of her face but not or around area. She wanted it to have good airflow and if possible tinted lences that could work as monoculars and gps and all that fancy stuff. 

The mask maker by the name of Chris wrote everything down amd tried to fill all of little Jessica's hopeful expectations. "Little one, your mask will be done on this month's blue moon. Return here then and we'll do some minor adjustments. 

Jessica nodded and bowed before she bid her goodbye with the promise to return. 

 

****

 

Jessica returned to training and to her mentor's relief Jessica finally started to improve. 

For some reason, she seemed more motivated and focused. More over all driven. However Jessica had a habit of forgetting her limits. Especially when she has anemia.  Causing her to faint or collapse. 

"Are your sister like this too?" Jasmine questions and thows her exhausted student a bottle of water.

"God no, she's much worse!" Jessica said after she gulped some water. 

"Much more competive, less thickheaded but damn clever" jasmine nodded as she took in the words her student spoke. 

"Anticipate baby Jung's appearence" Jessica teased and stuck her toungue out causing her teacher to attack her and so they returned to fencing training. 

 

***

 

"Mom, do I have to keep training and miss all my holidays and family time until I die?" Jessica asked during the family dinner. She had been given some time of and so she returned home for what seemed like forever. 

"Oh, honey. I know it's been tough on you. Being so far from home so much but it's so you can develop and strive" Her mother spoke, putting down her fork to pit her hand on top of her daughter's. 

"Unnie, next year I'll join you so you won't feel so alone anymore" Soojung spoke and wrapped her arms around her older sulking sister. 

"Thank you baby-jung, mom, dad too of course" Jessica said. Smiling with a lingering feeling of hesitation. 

 

***

 

The Jung family had gathered around to take a look at the eldest Jung sister's gear and weapons. Krystal was more facinated by the intricate wooden wand than the metal and wood built lightsabers.

Jessica's mom was first in picking up the two beautifully crafted weapenry. "They expect great things of you already" she said and put both saber hilts down again. "These hilts prove to me and them too, that you'll surely deliver" Jessica's mom spoke. 

"What's up with the mask?" Jessica's father asked as he picked the item up to get a better look. "To conseal or protect?" He asked "Both?" Jessica said sheepishly.

 

They spent the rest of their time together just resting and eating for Jessica's sake who soon neefed to return to the school.