Jedi Basics

The Half-Breed

Jessica wasn't as warmly welcomed as she had hoped to the camp of nightmares. The Person in charge of her was stern and didn't listen to any of Jessica's whining. All she seemed to care about was results. 

 

***

 

"You can start by doing 100 push ups" The Jedi master in charge of Jessica ordered and the little girl furrowed her eyebrows and pouted.

"I can hardly make 10 how am I supposed to do 100?" Jessica asked. The Jedi scoffed in response.

"Use the force" She stated plainly almost ironically and Jessica couldn't help but roll her eyes.

"I'm pretty sure that's not how the force works..." Jessica mumbled under her breath as she started to do weak push ups while grunting and groaning.

 

***

 

"Put on this helmet" The Jedi said and threw a black helmet with a darkened eyeshield into Jessica's hands. The girl did as told but tried to take it off almost immediately.

"I can't see anything..." She said scratching her chin after her hands had been slapped away when she tried to remove the helmet.

"That's the point, hold this and try to focus on the force inside of you" The Jedi instructed and Jessica decided it was worth a try. She closed her eyes and held onto the handle of the lightsaber with both her hands trying to search for the force. 

"Focus!" The teacher reprimanded when she noticed that her student didn't seem to be putting in enough effort. 

"Geez...I'm trying!" Jessica defended herself and drew a deep breath to try to focus harder. Trying to filter out all sounds until she heard only her own heart beating she found what she believed to be the force. But Jessica didn't know how the hell she was supposed to control it. It was simply present but didn't do much of anything really. 

"Can you see it?" The teachers voice asked and Jessica nodded. 

"Let it embrace you, devour you" the teacher instructed and Jessica nodded again, hesitantly she let the light blind her.

 

I am your companion...

...I am your sword...

...I am your shield...

...I am your strength...

...I am your force.

 

A voice spoke into Jessica's ears, she could feel it flowing in her veins and growing stronger. It felt as if she was floating in air, like she was flying but without the broomstick.

Suddenly the light disappeared and Jessica collapsed on the dirty ground with a loud grunt. Her teacher was quick with removing the helmet and trying to wake the now unconscious 11-year-old. 

"Someone give me water!" She yelled and a man as if on cue rushed in with a water bottle in hand. 

 

Jessica woke up confused and bewildered about 3 hours later. The Jedi told her that she had met the force for the first time and it used to have this kind of effect on people who are unused to it. The teacher continued by explaining that the force was like a personal guide but within yourself and Jessica only seemed more confused at that. So they decided that that was enough for the first day.

 

***

 

The following day Jessica was given a stick and told to defend herself while her teacher launched at her. Like a scared animal Jessica somehow managed to dodge the attacks. Her hands moved as if on their own and her body like felt someone else had controlled her. The teacher seemed pleased and put away the stick she had used.

 

"..Ookay... what the hell was that?" The little girl asked surprised but intrigued as she looked at her hands in utter shock and awe.

"That Jessica, was the force" The Jedi woman beamed a proud smile like a mother would to her daughter. 

"It's like always having a buddy but inside of yourself... okay that sounded weird, you know what I mean..." The Jedi sighed and straightened her clothes a little.

"..Suure..." Jessica narrowed her eyes slightly in suspicion but didn't say anything else.

 

***

 

The third day Jessica was told to do back flips. Jessica just stared at her supposedly teacher. "Still pretty sure that's not the way the force works..." she muttered.

"Alright fine, we'll do some more fencing and then you do more push ups" the Jedi said and grabbed a lightsaber using the force. 

"That's not fair" Jessica said and ducked to avoid being chopped in half. The little girl quickly found the other lightsaber from the side of her eyes and tried to focus as quickly as she could. "Come on, some on!" she urged herself.

The teacher poked the lightsaber in Jessica's stomach and the girl quickly crawled away. 

"...wait a minute..." Jessica said as she looked down to inspect the none existent wound. "Training sabers, totally harmless" The Jedi giggled and Jessica pouted and furrowed her eyebrows together. 

"We'll train you in no time" The Jedi assured but Jessica wasn't too sure herself.