Year One (Part 1)

The Half-Breed

On Sooyeon's 11th birthday a letter was delivered to her. Both her parents was proud of their daughter who would now go study and start her process of growing up. Soojung clung tightly to her older sister afraid to let go. 

"Who will keep me company when you're gone?!" Soojung cried hugging her sister tighter to herself. 

"It's okay, I'll send you letters every day and you'll have to promise to write me back alright, Jung Soojung?" Sooyeon assured her sister. Soojung nodded and wiped her tears. "I'll miss you" Soojung muttered beneath her breath. "I'll miss you too" Sooyeon planted a soft kiss on her sister's forehead and her hair. 

 

***

 

Sooyeon gladly picked all her school books according to the list sent in the letter. Excited for her wand Sooyeon ran up to the counter at Olivanders. "Hi!" Sooyeon chirped happily. The old man stepped down from a ladder and walked towards the little girl. "Aah, out of the ordinary I see... Ambiguous..." The man muttered to himself as he started to look around for the wand that would fit the little girl perfectly. "..hum, no.. not this one....Somewhere in here..." He kept talking to himself as he dug through shelf upon shelf looking for the wand.

 

Sooyeon wasn't discouraged, she patiently waited with her family excited and eager to hold and posses her very first wand. A box that seemed to be old enough as the shop they were standing in was placed on the counter. The man opened the box and pushed it forward towards the girl. "Take it" he said kindly and Sooyeon did. The man behind Sooyeon who could only be her father leaned down and whispered something in her ear and Sooyeon nodded eagerly in response. The little girl swung the wand in a spiral and a red flame sprung from the end of the wand. The man behind the counter smiled seemingly proud of his choice. "Special daughter you have there" he spoke and locked eyes with the little girl's parents. The parents nodded proudly, they paid for the wand and excited the store with one more thing checked off their shopping list.

 

***

 

"A kitten! I want a kitten mommy!" Sooyeon ran up to the store window and stared at the owls and cats in the display. "Alright, slow down sweety" Her mother laughed at her excited daughter. 

 

It wasn't long before Sooyeon decided on the cat she wanted, or rather the cat choose Sooyeon it seemed. Sooyeon accepted and picked the small black cat with big bright eyes. The cat sat on Sooyeon's shoulder or lap for the rest of the trip. Soojung got a little jealous of the attention the small creature got from her sister but she decided not to show it not to much anyways.

 

***

 

The big day had arrived and Sooyeon bid goodbye to her family with the promise to write often and to stay safe and out of trouble. One of the men on the train helped her with her trunk and told her to go sit down somewhere in the train and so she did. 

 

Almost all places was taken but there was one or two seats empty here and there. She decided to just pick one at random but she spotted one girl who looked a little lonely so she sat down beside her. 

 

"Hi, I'm Sooyeon" Sooyeon introduced herself. The girl turned her head to look at her and pulled out her white earphones. "Sorry?" she said looking a little confused. "Hi, I'm Sooyeon" Sooyeon repeated herself and coughed a little awkwardly. "I'm Taeyeon" The girl said and extended her hand for a shake. Sooyeon shook the other girl's hand and smiled. "What house do you think you'll be sorted into?" Sooyeon asked curiously. "No idea, I'm new to all this stuff.. Muggleborn is what you call people like me right?" The little girl sounded very mature and Sooyeon nodded in response to the question she was asked.

 

There was some silence but they talked some and agreed to stay friends.

 

***

 

All the first years had gathered outside the great hall and patiently waited to enter to get sorted. When they entered the older student applauded and smiled at the gawking first-year students. 

One of the teachers called the student's name and then they put a old and ugly hat on the student's head that told them which house the student was put in. After each student the house that received the student cheered. 

Finally it was Sooyeon's turn and this time the hat seemed to struggle with where to put her. "Slytherin yes... or perhaps Ravenclaw... hum..." The hat talked into Sooyeon's ear. "You'll do well in Ravenclaw for sure, but you'll strive if put into SLYTHERIN" the hat said and the table with students who wore a green emblem on their robes cheered loudly. Sooyeon made her way towards the table and sat down beside some of her peers. They kindly started to talk with her and ask her questions. Sooyeon instantly liked her house.

 

***

 

They got their school clothes and schedules and was given a room with a roommate and a quick guide through the castle by one of the house prefects.Luckily Sooyeon and Taeyeon shared room. Their cats seemed to like each other too, they could feel that this was the beginning of a long and happy friendship.

 

***

 

The first year went by kind of quickly, they learnt the basics in every subject and it was like any other school except the fact that you lived there too. Sooyeon did a try out for the quidditch team but didn't make it. The people in her house consoled her with the fact that no one got into the quidditch team when they were in their first or second year.

 

Sooyeon didn't waste time sulking around too much as she quickly grew interested in potions. The people from all houses was really kind with the exception of a few who just liked to poke fun of others. Sooyeon decided to stay away from those. 

 

Along the way she found a few friends from the other houses too. A few Gryffindors, Hufflepuffs, Ravenclaws. They seemed to get grouped together often in classes and so they started to get to know each other. They quickly learned that all of them were drastically different from the other.But their friendship seemed to last anyways. They started to study together and go explore the castle or campus together.

 

Like a team, almost a little like a family.