Chapter 17

10 years
Please log in to read the full chapter

-Disclaimer- All rights belong to their respective owners. I do not own The Heirs or any of their characters, only the ones I invented myself. – First of all, I wanted to apologize for not updating in a few months. Finals and then graduation made it nearly impossible for me to continue writing – this and the huge writer’s block I had. Secondly, I wanted to thank does that kept encouraging me during my absence and continued reading this story. Thirdly, I will not make any promises to update next week or even next month – the update will come when it’ll come. I’m currently stuck on the next chapter, so let’s see when I’ll be able to update ^^ Sorry, for such a long disclaimer and have fun reading! If you enjoyed the story (or even if you didn’t) or have any comments to make – please leave a review at the end ^^

 

“You’re kidding”, where the first words Choi Young-Do spoke as he looked at me with disbelieve written all over his face. I heard him sigh heavily, before he took a long sip from his beer. He looked at me with searching eyes, searching probably to see if I was being untruthful.

“I know it most come as a shock to you, but I had to tell you this – especially with what you just told me!”, I confided in him, trying to make him understand. “For once, with the knowledge of my identity, you have an advantage over your father! He wants you to marry Sunny Chang, I happen to be Sunny Chang – so let’s go through with it, Young-Do.”

“Is marriage something funny to you? Is it something purely business related?”, Young- Do demanded while staring at me. “I’m shocked, Cha Eun-Sang. The Cha Eun-Sang I knew would’ve never done such a proposition! She would’ve never treated marriage as a laughing matter!”, he exclaimed loudly, pacing now in front of Cha Eun-Sang.

“Grow up, will you?! How naïve can you be? Did you really believe a person wouldn’t change in 10 years?! Of course I’d change! You do not know what I went through all these years ago and you have no right, NO RIGHT, to tell me what I should do! Do you think marriage is a laughing matter to me? No! But I don’t even know why I’m defending myself in front of you. You never listen to the end of what people are saying and that is your biggest fault! Now, we can continue this talk when you’ll have calmed down and when you’ll have the guts to actually face your future! Goodnight!”

With that said, Cha Eun-Sang left a speechless Young-Do behind her, grabbed her coat and purse and excited his apartment. She felt how tears were beginning to well up, but she refused to cry. She had battled long enough on her own, she wouldn’t cry because of a man.

She furiously punched on the button of the elevator, cursing it at the same time for being so slow. She pressed it several times more as she heard a front door open not too far away from her.

“Cha Eun-Sang…”

She didn’t react, she willed herself to ignore that trembling, apologetic voice. She didn’t want to be swayed by it, but her heart was a treacherous thing and wouldn’t listen to her head.

“Cha Eun-Sang…please don’t go! I’m…I’m sorry, I know it isn’t enough, it’ll never be enough, but please don’t run away! I overreacted, it’s true, but…let me explain myself, please”, Young-Do pleaded, his eyes fixed on the woman who had her back towards him. He could see her hand trembling at her side, as she continued to look at the changing floor numbers on the screen.

Cha Eun-Sang silently cursed at him and turned around to face her former classmate. She could see that he was relieved that she seemed willing to talk with him, but she could also see that he seemed very tense and nervous.

“I shouldn’t even listen to the things you’re saying right now, but here I am, listening… for now. What did you want to say?”

Choi Young-Do glanced at the elevator’s doors, which had just opened and boldly grabbed her hand, pulling her back to his apartment and closing the door behind them. He gently guided her back to the living room and made her sit on one of the couches.

“Cha Eun-Sang, listen, please. I’m very sorry, I reacted harshly and I shouldn’t have said these words about marriage, it’s just…marriage is a very serious thing for me and when you told me we should just get married, I kind of lost it…you…know…I…there are things I should tell you, but now’s not the right moment to do so, but I see the idea. It would be of great advantage to us, or at least to him. You just have to realized that it’s all very shocking and happening way too fast.”

“For me it’s going just as fast, Young-Do!”, Cha Eun-Sang had to exclaim and despite her best efforts she couldn’t help but to glare at her former classmate.

“Sorry, again. No, look what I meant…I don’t want to force you into anything. I know it must be just as hard for you, if not more so…”

“Young-Do? Did you even pay attention before? I proposed you, so why are you thinking that you’re forcing me into something? Look, I know it’s a reckless idea, maybe I should’ve never uttered this thought either, but I can’t take it back now…and I really believe that for our future it would be best if we join forces.”

For a few moments Choi Young-Do just looked at Eun-Sang. He didn’t say anything and didn’t move at all and then suddenly started nodding. “Don’t take it in a wrong way, but…you’ve changed. And I like it!”, he quickly added and offered her a tentative smile. “I have to admit that I can’t really accept it just yet. All the things I’ve learned tonight, it’s a bit much for me…for today. But I see where you’re coming from…it would be a win-win situation for us both, at least for me”, Young-Do admitted and quickly went to the kitchen to get himself something to drink, he knew he should take it easy with drinking since he didn’t have the highest tolerance, but tonight only two drinks didn’t suffice, he needed more. “Do you want something to drink as well?”

“Yes please and make it something stronger, not beer”, Cha Eun-Sang called back to him and made herself comfortable on his nice couch. She had to admit that she was a bit overwhelmed with everything that was happening tonight. Sure she had done most of the talking, but after preserving such a secret, her identity, for so long…it made her dizzy to realize just how easily she had divulged the secret to Choi Young-Do.

“Yo

Please log in to read the full chapter