FOUR : I don't know

Wrong number

"Please don't hang up" the desperation in the voice, Soomin felt as if she was the one in pain. She could swear that she felt a small pain in her heart. She stopped breathing for a moment.How can someone be so hurt, so much in pain?

Yoongi kept crying like a child. He did not care if someone saw him at that state. He just could not take it anymore. He needed to let it all out. He sobbed for God knows how long. Slowly, he calmed down. His cries transformed to small quiet sobs and eventually the only sound in the empty basketball court was his slow breathing.

Soomin felt herself calm down when the person calmed down. They stayed quiet again and let the silence film although it became more and more ackward by every passing moment. Soomin did not know what she should say. But she had to say something, so she tried to do so. But she was cut off the voice at the other line of the call

"Thanks for being there"

Soomin's heart actually broke at that point. She did not even did anything not said anything. But still the person was thanking her. She could get right then and there. But she can't. She needs to be strong. When the person did not spoke anything, she got afraid that he was going to hang up."will you call again?" Soomin did not even know how the words formed and made their way out.

" i don't know" Soomin could not sleep that night. She kept tossing and turning on her bed. It's been two days since she had that conversation, All the phone calls from the helpline has stopped. She went to a lunch with seokjin yesterday. But she did not told him any thing about the conversatons. She hadn't even talked to yuri about it. She was just wishing that the person to be fine and wished that he will call her. Although she had no idea why she wished about the second. She tried blaming it upon the situation, the way the phone call ended. But deep down she knew it was not it. She just did not want to admit it. Yoongi felt so relieved that day. He slept like a baby. He woke up fresh and his day went fine. He wrote his part in the performance, he was showing in the showcase. The one which invitation went to his father. Yoongi did not want to think about that anymore. He just concenterated on his performance. He remembered the call of two days ago. He was so happy, the person was so patient with him. What made him more happy was the person asked if he will call or not.

Maybe it was because of their job but it did not failed to make yoongi happy. Never had yoongi thought that being with someone will help him. He was so afraid to approach people, thinking that they will not understand him. But the girl in the helpline...She was different. She sounded so genuinely concerned. That's why yoongi decided to give it a shot.

He took his phone and called the helpline number. "Hello" a sweet voice spoke. Yoongi hadn't known how much sweet the voice was. Maybe he did not notice last time.

"I..uh..I called two days ago. Umm..Maybe you don't remember me"

Soomin was so happy to see the same number calling her. She had to literally stop herself from picking up the call at the first ring. "I remember you. Are you..Umm are you okay?" She asked. "I'm better"came as a simple reply. Then came the ackward yet comfortable silence. The only sound was their breathing. Soomin decided she needed to speak first.

"I'm Kim Soomin" she blurted out. She wanted to hit herself for being so straight forward. "Soomin" he repeated" you're name is pretty" Soomin was so glad that she was talking in phone because she did not want anyone to see the pink color creeping in her cheeks. Yoongi could not believe he said that. Most importantly to a girl. "I'm so sorry. I did not mean to-" "No no it's fine. You don't need to apologize."Soomin quickly assured him.

" I'm yoongi. Min yoongi" Soomin nodded her head eventhough he could not see her. Soomin did not know what to say next. She wasn't a professional staff of the helpline. So she decided to choose her words cautiously.

That night they talked about yoongi. Nothing personal, just information. Like what he studied, what is he doing. About his love for music and stuff like that. Yoongi was not quite ready to open up about something personal so soon and he was grateful that Soomin promised to be patient and wait for him.

When they were going to hang up, Soomin asked him if he will call again or not and she was really happy because the answer was " sure."

Two weeks have passed. Although it may seem really small, but in those weeks yoongi and Soomin have built a firm relation. That talked everyday till late night. Both of their rooms remain out up all night. But both of them were to busy to notice. After talking for some time and building trust, yoongi told Soomin about his family, about how he went against them.

Although it may seem quite quick, but something about Soomin made him trust her and open his heart to her and he was really happy he had. Now he slept well, ate well and he could calm himself and control his overwhelming feelings. Yoongi himself is so surprised that a person like himself who never talked to anyone not even his own parents had told everything to a unknown girl on the other side of a phone call. But he obviously had not regretted it. On the other side, Soomin was happy that, yoongi believed her and was willing to talk.

But there's one thing that was bothering her for few days. Yoongi thinks that she is working at the helpline, but In truth she does not. She couldn't keep it from him for longer. She needed to tell him. She wanted to do it before but she could not.

It's been two days since they haven't talked. Soomin is starting to panic. Did he think that talking is not helping? Did he so something to himself? No no no it can't be. He was perfectly fine last time. He said he was excited for his performance. Maybe he found about that she is not working at the helpline. Oh no that would be worse. That's when her phone rang showing a call. A call from Min Yoongi, to be precise. She didn't stop herself from picking up the call at the first ring.

As soon as she picked up, she started blabbering." Are you alright? Are you fine? Tell me you have not done anything. Please. Please .I'm so wo-" yoongi started laughing softly and Soomin could get she heard angels singing."I'm fine. I'm okay and no I have not done anything." Yoongi assured her."thank goodness. I was starting to worry."

" You don't have to worry about me. I'm 21. I can take care of myself" yoongi said. "How can I not be worried? What are friends for?"" I don't know. I never had one" yoongi replied truthfully." Don't say that. I'm your friend. Not just friend but best friend" Soomin said with an extra cheerful tone. Yoongi chuckled" with that loud voice of yours, I'm just fine with friend." Soomin pouted although he couldn't see it.

"Anyways, the showcase is tomorrow. You know right? " Soomin make a small noise as a yes. "I had been busy with that. So I couldn't call. Sorry" yoongi apologised. "Don't apologise." Soomin said sincerely. "I'm excited but nervous. Everyone has someone coming to watch them perform"

Soomin already knew that the conversation had gotten serious now. "Yoongi , don't let this things take you down. They are your parents. They want you to be happy. They just need time" Soomin tried to convince him."yeah, i know. Anyways I'm gonna blow everyone's mind tommorow"

Soomin was shocked how the sad insecure yoongi changes into confident one." Yeah yeah you will. Just don't pass out at the middle of the performsnce" she tried to lightened up the mood. Yoongi only laughed as a response. Silence filled the call. When they talked, usually there will be long silences. It gave them time to think and stay composed. Soomin started to drift away. She thought that she needed to tell yoongi the truth and that she should not keep him in dark. "I gotta go now. Wish me luck" yoongi breaks the familiar silence." Yoongi, I have something to tell you" Soomin said slowly."Okay" yoongi was curious what it was, since they always talked about him.

"I uh..I-I don't work at the helpline".

"what? Are you quitting?"

"No no I didn't worked there at the first place"

Soomin told him everything and yoongi listened to soomin's every word in shock. After her story completed, another silence fell over them. Soomin decided to beak it first as usual.

"you..you'll call again, right?" She asked him.

But the answer was she feared the most.

 

 

"I don't know."