Wood for Friendship?

Bonded by Definition

 

“So Joonmyun, where are you from?”

All the omegas of the pack were sitting around the now recovered Joonmyun and relaxing in the afternoon. Tao had quickly taken to the new omega and was currently resting his head on Joonmyun’s lap and asking the omega questions about himself. Baekhyun and Luhan, the sole beta, were lounging nearby while Yixing was preparing a snack for them.

“You can call me Suho and I think I am from all over the place.”

Tao cutely squinted at him in confusion which brought a laugh from Suho.

“I was born into a pack up Nurie mountains. I then lived for a while with the pack up river of Lohri, then I moved to the convent at Shen where I learnt medicine, and then I returned home for a few years. But in the past three years, I was just wandering learning more about diseases unique to our kind. I returned to the college for a medical convention when … “

Suho’s face fell when he thought of what had happened to the college.

“What happened to the college?” Baekhyun asked.

“I am not very sure. One minute I was talking to my friend in one of the treatment rooms and the next, there were screams and smoke. Men with weapons were attacking us and everyone including the patients were slaughtered. They then set fire to the college. I took a blow to the head with a torch but somehow I didn’t die. In fact I would have died if your pack mates had not come by.”

Luhan sensing the distress in the other omega patted Joonmyun’s back comfortingly.

“You are alive now. That’s a good thing right.” Tao said trying to cheer up the Omega.

Suho shook his head in distress.

“You have no idea how important the college was. Its library housed some of the rarest of the rare lore of our kind. Some of the greatest doctors of our kind taught at the college. The amount of research going on there was far advanced and had the potential to change our lives in the next few decades. Everything was lost by dawn that day.”

Yixing brought the refreshments and sat next to Suho.

“My husband in one of his rare moments of insight told me this, ‘empires rise and fall and the world as we know keeps changing, but it’s the smaller things that keep the world sane. It is families, mates, friends, children and all our loved ones that make us get up in the morning and do what we ought to do.’ Maybe this is your chance to finally experience all that.”

Suho looked surprised and then smiled that vacant smile again.

“I was once told that I am not made for the smaller things, but for greater things that change the world. Only, I must choose to walk that path alone least I get bogged down by mundane distractions.”

“What nonsense. Don’t believe such idiocy Joonmyun, families and friends are the ones who stand by you and guide you when you are lost in darkness.”

The omegas turned around to see Chen entering the quaint home followed by Jongin.

"Call him Suho thats what he wants to be called." Tao pipped

With a nod and a smile, Chen walked up to his husband and gave him a brief hug before disappearing into the backyard for a wash while Jongin awkwardly stood around for a minute which amused Yixing no end.

“If you are done standing around, go and wash up. I will get you both something to eat.”

Jongin took a step past them but then shyly turned around and dropped something on Suho’s lap and ran away. Suho and Tao, who by then had sat up, curiously stared at the piece of wood in his lap.

“Huh, a piece of wood?”

Suho closely examined the piece. It gave a faint but pleasant smell that was soothing and alluring at the same time.

When Jongin and Chen walked in to sit with them after freshening up, Suho cautiously asked about the piece of wood. Jongin though just shrugged.

Once the pair of them left, Yixing explained what he thought was up with Jongin.

“My brother is not an articulate person. This is just his way of saying he wants to be your friend. At least you got something dead. When he accepted Chen as his brother-in-law, he gave him a green water snake.”

That evening when they all sat down to have dinner, Jongin noticed that Suho was wearing the piece of wood wound around in a chord around his neck.

 

 

“Jongin, why can’t you do what he says? God you are so dumb.”

“I am trying Kyungsoo.” Jongin threw himself on the ground in frustration.

Suho watched the pair from a distance. He was amused by their dynamics. One moment Kyungsoo would say the most awful thing to Jongin, but the next he would be petting his head, feeding him water and encouraging him to try more. And Jongin would behave the same no matter what Kyungsoo’s mood would be.

Suho was trying to teach Jongin to grasp the bond in his mind but Jongin just couldn’t understand. They have been at it since morning and it was already time for lunch. Kyungsoo had tagged along to watch but was not helping much apart from yelling at Jongin.

Finally, Suho just remarked that perhaps Kyungsoo should go back to get Jongin some food while they rested. Once they were alone, Suho approached the alpha that was lying on the ground exhausted.

“Thank you so much for the gift.”

“It’s nothing. It’s just something I found in the market. It’s supposed to be some oriental wood that would stay smelly for a long time.”

Suho laughed at his choice of words but then replied seriously.

“I wasn’t talking about the wood.”

“I don’t know what you mean”, mumbled Jongin.

“Perhaps I was just thanking you for not gifting me a snake.”

They both looked at each other for a moment and then burst out laughing. But then Jongin turned away abruptly.

“If it disgusts you, I can wear a mask. Will you help me make one?”

Jongin didn’t know what to say. Judging by the unmarred half of Suho’s face, it looked like he would have been a handsome man. But all Jongin could imagine was the torn and bloodied half that he saw the first time he met Suho. He was confused by his own feelings. One moment he couldn’t stand the look of that ugly twisted half face and the next he felt like a bastard for it.

“It’s ok. It’s not your fault, its mine for not covering it. Its healing you see and I should leave it open for a few more days. After that I will wear a mask as long as I…”

“Just stop. Stop reading me.” Jongin for some reason felt so angry and he couldn’t help shout at Suho.

“I am sorry, I can just feel your…” But Jongin was in no mind to listen.

“Shut up just shut up and leave me alone.”

Kyungsoo returned with their food just as he saw Jongin running way. Suho was just sitting there with a bewildered look.

With a sigh, he quietly left some food for Suho and ran after Jongin.