The Truth in the Lies

Bonded by Definition

“This is Jun, my mate.”

Suho jerked in shock but before he could say anything a flood of thought rushed into his mind from Jongin. Please don’t say anything we are in this together…

What if they ask?

Tell the truth about everything.

One of the police officers who had gone inside the mine stepped out and said.

“Things are as he described. Just for the record, who killed him?”

Jongin pushed Suho aside and said, “I did”

Suho panic and shouted trying to push Jongin back.

“No No No, he is not my mate, he is just an alpha from a pack who took me in. Please let him go. I am the one who killed him, I am the killer, please let him go.”

Contrary to what he expected, everyone just stared at him and one of the elders patted his head and smiled.

“Your instinct to protect your mate is admirable, but there is no need to lie.”

“But I am the one who killed him! Jongin has nothing to do with it.”

“JUN, STEP BACK.”

Suho looked at Jongin defiantly. They both stared at each other for a moment and Jongin visibly deflated.

“The killing blow maybe yours Jun, but as your mate, I should have kept you safe. This whole situation is because I left you to fend for yourself and therefore I am the reason for this murder.”

Suho gapped at Jongin unable to keep up with the younger’s thoughts and dialogs.

Pulling Suho into his arms, Jognin affectionately pecked at his lips and smiled.

“But I don’t want you to get arrested for me.”

The senior most of the elders stepped forward and smiled at Suho.

“No one is going to get arrested. Killing a wolf attempting to hurt ones mate is not punishable. We have heard what happened from your alpha. It is very brave of you to have fought such an alpha in order to save him.”  

The police came up and smiled at Suho as well, “that’s right brave Jun. You saved your alpha and that’s how the law will see it. Of course there will be an investigation. Too many cases where mating is used as an excuse to get away with murder, but then if there is no bond we will be able to tell. We will also do a human investigation just to be sure of everything.”

Suho could feel fear at hearing the word investigation but Jongin was calm and as he tightened his hold on Suho, the omega couldn’t help but relax.

 

“You both can stay in the village for now. Day after tomorrow, we will hold a trial and the council elders will decide if you are guilty or not.”

The police men stayed along with one of the wolves while two of the elders took Suho and Jongin to the village. Thankfully they had brought a car, otherwise with Suho’s broken ribs, they couldn’t have gone far. As soon as they reached the village, they were taken to the clinic where Jongin’s cut was treated and Suho’s ribs were wrapped quickly. By the time Suho’s minor bruises were treated, someone brought them food. They tore into their food and once their hunger was sated, Jongin made a call to inform Yifan and their pack.

They were in a predicament because Yifan had already left in search of him and with only Sehun and Xiumin staying in the colony, Jongin will have to wait for them to pass a message to Yifan when he called home.

Finally, Suho and Jongin were taken to a cottage where they would stay until the trial. Someone had left them a set of clothes and there was warm water and soap in the bathroom. With the promise of dinner being delivered, they were finally left alone. Just as Jongin closed and bolted the door, Suho was upon Jongin.

“Why did you do this? Why? Do you know what you have done? You just signed a death warrant for yourself. You stupid pup! How will I face Kyungsoo? How will I face your pack? If they…”

Jongin didn’t wait for Suho to finish, he just pulled him closed and pressed his lips to Suho’s. Suho tried pushing him but Jongin was strong and without paying much attention to Suho’s protests, lifted him up bodily and carried him to the sparse but spacious bathroom and locked the door.

Jongin the water and pushed Suho to the wall.

“Wolf ears all around Suho. Stop being loud. If we have to get out of this alive, we must work together. I may not look it, but I care about my pack and you are my pack. Kyungsoo will understand and so will the others. Until then, let’s pretend.”

 Suho stared at him angrily.

“And I am sorry I kissed you without permission, but I didn’t want us to get caught.”

“Don’t do that again. I don’t like it.”

“But Suho, we are supposed to be mates remember. If we are mates, do you think we will be standing at arm’s length and shaking hands?”

“No, but…”

“How about this, I will kiss you but not on your lips. And I will hug you a lot. Will that be ok?”

“I… ok”

“Also, we need to have the same story. As I said before, don’t change anything. Just add a few details. “

“So how I met you and everything is the same?”

“Yes, let’s discuss it tonight alright? Now do you want to shower first? I will help you with the bandage.”

A shower sounded divine to Suho. He nodded his head and so, Jongin helped him with wrapping his bandage in plastic. After Suho, Jongin showered and soon dinner arrived. It was a bread and lamb stew which both of them devoured in no time. With one bed and one couch, a heated debate started on who should take the couch. Both wanted the other to take the bed but in the end Jongin refused to take the bed. However, soon they forgot about it as they started making up their fictional love story while lying on the bed.

“They will ask us about each other separately and at a place where we can’t use our bond. They will also test the strength of our bond.” Suho said.

“How do you know?”

Suho had a guilty look about him. He paused as if he was wondering if he should say anything at all. Then with a sigh began.

“What Takashi said about me is true. When I learnt how to control my bond Akirasan and I tried to use my ability to treat other wolves who were suffering from bond sickness. I could bond with any wolf for however long it was needed. Some were alphas who had lost their mate, some were omegas who were stuck with abusive alphas and sometimes it was just wolves that fell out of love with their bond mates. I think I would have bonded temporarily with over 40 wolves in the past 7 years. Sometimes, Akirasan would go to the councils to testify on behalf of a wolf who wanted his or her bond broken and I have gone with him a few times.”

They were facing each other by then and Jongin could tell that there was an inherent sadness in Suho as he narrated his experience. They remained silent for a while and then it occurred to Jongin. “Can you say you love me?” The first words Suho had spoken to him and it all made sense.

“Suho hyung…”

“Hum?”

“Of all the wolves you helped, wasn’t there even a single one who wanted to stay bonded with you?”

Suho’s eyes glittered in the dark, but he made no sound.

“Is.. is that why you asked me to say…”

Suho his back and took a deep breath and spoke before Jongin could complete his question.

“I wanted to know what it felt like. Sometimes when I am bonded with someone I can feel all their love for someone else. The way their pet names went round and round in their thoughts, the way pictures of the other person always flickered in the back ground, the way the brain used to jerk in recognition of flavours sounds and smell associated with their loved ones. All because of love. I am sorry I made you say that. I thought it would make me feel good. But it didn’t. “

Jongin was at a loss as to what to say. He has never yearned for love because it was always given to him freely by the people around him.

“Suho hyung. Now that Takashi is gone, someday…”

“Takashi has nothing to do with it. Truth is, some people cannot walk, some can’t see, some can’t be heard. If there are people whom the world cant help but love, then there will also be those who can’t be loved by others. That’s all there is to it. It’s a syndrome I will have to live with all my life.”

Jongin felt his eyes well up and he badly wanted to reach out to Suho.

Someone knocked on the door. “There is someone called Yifan on the line for you!”