An End and a Beginning

Bonded by Definition

They say all good things come to an end, so do bad things. Yifan watched the night sky wondering what Tao was up to. He would have loved to leave the council, the village the trial and everything behind right after he stepped out of the court house followed by the freshly acquitted Jongin and Suho. But the village had insisted on a feast and so here he sat grumpy and awkward in the middle of a celebration while the others laughed and smiled around him.

“And this is why you will never make it to the council.” Chen sat next to him and commented.

“Who said I wanted to be on the council?” Yifan grumpily replied

“I take it you don’t want to just as much as chicken is not your style”

“Will you ever let that go?”

“Will you ever stop being a dork?”

Yifan sighed

“Well, at least you are happy.”

“And you aren’t?” Chen countered

“I am, but I can’t help feeling uneasy either. Do you ever feel like too many things are happening for you to control?”

Chen nodded.

“You are not alone. Change is in the air Yifan, at least one among us is going to be hurt. All I can say is, if we stay together and weather it through, things will eventually fall in place.”

“Jongin, a month ago I could have predicted what he would do, but now… he has grown so much.”

“Yes he has, but it’s not Jongin I am worried about.”

 

 

“Jonginah! Eat some more, here let me serve you.”

“Enough hyung, I am stuffed, I can’t move.”

Yixing couldn’t hold the grin off his face. His cheeks hurt but he didn’t care. His family was back in one piece and that’s all that mattered to him. He stood behind Jongin and indulgently ruffled his mop of brown hair.

“Hyung, don’t spoil him too much. Then he will be a brat even longer.”

Jongin pouted at Kyungsoo.

“Do you know what kind of hardships I had to undergo? I was tied and beat up, then I had to climb mountains and swim across the ocean and I almost died. Hyung, tell him I deserve to be spoilt.”

Yixing smiled.

“Yes, my little brave wolf, you deserve to be spoilt.”

“Tell him I can be a brat.”

“Yes, you can be a brat.”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes at the siblings. A lot has changed in the past week, but somethings didn’t and he was grateful for that. Jongin was still Jongin. Grown up maybe but still the same Jongin. There were a few things that his mind kept telling him to talk about, but he resolutely buried them deep within himself. He looked up at the corner where Suho was talking to Yukimaru and sighed.

 

Suho felt claustrophobic. He had been smothered by his pack ever since they stepped out of the court house and he loved every moment of it, but there was a slow build of dread rising within him that was overshadowing every pleasant feeling. Jongin had been just a step behind him throughout and had only now been dragged away by Yixing and Kyungsoo. He had sought out Yukimaru because he had a lot to discuss with the man.

“If you are here to thank me or apologise, don’t Suhosan.”

Suho sat down awkwardly.

“I… thank you Yukikun.”

Yukumaru laughed. “You never change Suhosan.”

They sat in silence for a few minutes until Yukimaru spoke again.

“You didn’t know did you, that I was Takashisan’s step-brother”

“No I didn’t”

“It was a clan secret Suhosan. I was just a bastard child until Takashisan’s madness. But the clan soon realized that my brother will never become the clan leader, so I was quietly brought into the folds and made the convenient replacement. I was never grateful for it until today though.”

“Thank you so much Yukikun, I am so sorry I had to kill…”

“I am not sorry, nor will I accept your apology. Let’s face it. My brother was a rabid dog that needed to be put down. I just wish I had the courage to do it sooner rather than put you through this ordeal. You deserve better Suhosan, so much better. Your new pack, they are nice and Jongin would make a good mate.”

“Jongin would, but he is not mine. I am… I am fine. I can go back to what I was doing best. I can be a healer and I can restart the college. I can help others and I can be happy again. This is all I wanted and you have given me a perfect opportunity.”

Yukimaru looked at the omega with a kindness that brought an ache to Suho’s heart.

“Suhosan, stop. You may have to lie to everyone, but not to one of the shadows. I may not be your pack or even a good friend but right now, I can be the mirror into which you can look into and be honest with yourself.”

“Thanks Yukikun, but the less I see myself, the better it is for everyone. But there is one thing you can help me with.”

“Anything for you Suhosan.”

“Can I come with you to meet sensei? I… I could use some company.”

“Sure Suhosan, we set sail in two weeks.”

 

“So, it’s our last night together eh?” Jongin slipped into the room and bolted the door.

Suho didn’t answer. He just lay on the bed wondering how he was going to manage the night.

“Jun!”

“Jun, turn around.”

Suho did not budge and closed his eyes tightly.

But Jongin didn’t let it go. He walked around the bed to Suho’s side and crouched down. He peered into Suho’s face and ever so gently kissed his forehead. Suho opened his eyes startled.

“Where is my Jun?”

“He is not your Jun and he is sleeping.”

“Ah, there he is” Jongin laughed

“What do you want?” Suho sighed and sat up.

“Tonight is probably the last night we will spend together and I wanted to talk to you.”

“About what?”

“About a story I know.”

Suho looked at his curiously.

“You must listen without interrupting. Only then I will tell the story.”

Suho looked at the alpha suspiciously but nodded.

Jongin sat next to Suho and pulled him into a hug.

“Once upon a time, there lived a dumb alpha wolf. He was wasting his time and playing around until one day he met the most serious omega. By accident the alpha and the omega became friends.”

Suho tried to push away from Jongin thinking that the alpha was going to make fun of him. But Jongin didn’t let him.

“Shhh, you have to listen like this. I won’t let you go until the story is done.”

Suho was stiff for a moment but then relaxed in defeat.

“At first the alpha thought that the omega was ugly, cowardly and old and only felt sorry for the wolf. But as days went by, the alpha realized that the omega was not ugly but just differently beautiful, that he was not a coward but just wise and that he was not old but simply knew too much. The alpha truly wanted to be better for his friend and so he grew up. But before he can tell his friend, a dragon came to hurt the omega. The alpha and the omega fought the dragon and won only to be chased by the king’s men. Even then, the alpha and omega fought to survive and save each other and in the end, the king realized that it’s better to let the friends go. One day during their journey, the serious omega realized that he was no longer serious. He laughed and smiled so beautifully that even other started seeing it. The alpha loved it and wanted his friend to be happy forever. But soon they had to part ways. The alpha knew that the omega will miss his friend and so…”

Jongin slowly pulled Suho closer and pulled up Suho’s ankle. He caressed the soft pale skin before he lifted Suho’s head, kissing his forehead again he continued.

“And so thought he should do something for his friend. He went deep into the sea and found the most precious pearl ever born and asked it if it could stay with his friend when he himself was not around. If the pearl will share his shine with his friend when he was lonely, and most of all, if the pearl will remind the omega that if ever he needed someone he can always call the alpha and no matter where he is, the alpha will for sure come to him.”

A faint sensation of something cold made Suho look down at his right foot and there in the moon light he saw the most beautiful anklet he had ever seen. It was made of thin gold and at the clasp sat a tiny irregular black pearl. It’s gentle weight felt pleasant but the meaning behind it was so heavy that it brought tears to his eyes. With a sob he hugged the alpha close.

“Jun, don’t forget me ok. You and me, we have a separate life we can’t share with others now. Someday, many years later, I may marry, settle down raise pups and grow old and so will you but our bond will always remain and I will forever be your best friend.”

“Promise?”

“Yes my dear Jun, I promise.”