A Date to Remember

Bonded by Definition

Once they were done at the police station, Jongin just wanted to return to their cottage. But there was a problem looming in front of him. He had no money and neither did Suho. Although the villagers had fed them breakfast, it did not sit well with Jongin to accept food without payment any longer. He had an arm around Suho and as discussed earlier kept kissing him on the neck and ears. Suho was very uncomfortable but this was a necessary act to convince others of their bond and if he thought Jongin was laying it on thick, he didn’t say anything.

Jongin for his part realized that Suho didn’t freeze every time Jongin hugged him as he had the first few times. As they strolled around the market, Suho got curious about the merchandise and slowly relaxed. At one point he even dragged Jongin by the hand to a cute little girl selling flower crowns. Jongin was secretly pleased that Suho was disappearing and Jun was emerging more and more. Wanting to see more of Jun, Jongin decided that he was going to put the biggest smile on Jun’s face before the end of the day.

Leaving Suho near the flower girl, Jongin went to a nearby fiddle seller and stuck a bargain. Suho turned to hear the fiddler playing a tune while Jongin was curiously standing in the middle of the square of the market. As the tune picked up, Jongin began to dance. A crowd gathered and Suho just looked stunned, Jongin twirled and smiled at Suho before dancing faster and with more complicated moves. Suho was enthralled and without realizing it, he started clapping along with the crowd. A few people started dancing along Jongin and as the tune picked up, more joined. Jongin plucked Suho out of the sidelines and swirled him around the square. Suho had never ever tried dancing but with the way Jongin lifted him off his feet and went round and round, there was no need to have had any practice at all. The music was reaching a crescendo and Suho forgot everything, except for the music, movement and Jongin’s arms.

Jongin had always loved dancing. But he had never danced in front of strangers. He loved the folk music, he loved the crowd and most of all he loved Suho’s bubbling laughter. The omega sounded so carefree and uninhibited and a feeling of pride swelled in Jongin’s heart. With the music hitting its highest point, in a daring move, Jongin dropped Suho and caught him at the waist just before Suho hit the ground.

The music stopped and the crowd clapped wildly. People threw flowers, coins and notes at them and in the middle of it all, Jongin and Suho stood laughing and hugging.

 

Yifan, Chen and Yukimaru sat by the fireside in the late evening and discussed their next course of action. Chanyeol had confirmed that the letter he wrote to the high council has been delivered and that news of the trial had already spread.

Chen had his hands on his forehead and Yifan had an even harder frown that he usually sported.

“How can they hope to clear a test meant for a mated pair. Until Takashi, they didn’t even open up their normal bond?”

Yukimaru gave him a curious look and then smiled.

“Not many know this, but apart from a mating bond, there is one other that is equally strong. And Jongin and Suhosan share it. If not, Suhosan would have died that day in the field.”

“What? What is that?”

“It’s a death bond. It is true that your pack alphas believed that Jongin can save Suhosan by bonding Jongin with him. But that’s not easy for such extensive injuries unless a death bond is involved.”

“What is a death bond?” Chen asked curiously.

“At the moment of death, the mind is open and chaotic with the fear of death nudging it along to find some means to survive. If an equally open mind melds with the one at death’s doors, a latching happens and the strong one can pull the dying one out of death throes. It’s hypothetical but it’s one of the things I was researching with Akirasan.”

Yifan and Chen stared at Yukimaru with slack jaws.

“So if death bond is a known thing, the elders at the trial will know that Suho and Jongin do not have a mating bond but a death bond.”

“Not really, like I said, this is hypothetical and still under research. Even Suhosan doesn’t know the details. To my knowledge, only Akirasan and I know of this possibility.”

Yifan sighed in relief and then looked up at Yukimaru.

“So you won’t bring this up tomorrow right?”

Yukimaru laughed and with a mysterious smile said, “of course I won’t … for a price.”

“What do you want?”

“You will know tomorrow, but rest assured, its nothing that will harm anyone.”

 

Meanwhile in another room, Yixing sat with Kyungsoo.

“I am sorry I hit you Kyungsooah.”

“It’s my fault hyung. I was very mean. I am so sorry. Please don’t leave the pack.”

“Of course we won’t Soo-ah. I promise we will forget it here and now.”

The two omegas sat in silence for a while.

“Yixing huang, do you think Jongin might leave me.”

“Jongin is very loyal and you know it. He will never betray your trust. But that said, you should also accept change when it happens Soo-ah.”

“But it’s not nice when things change hyung. I know it’s not Suho hyung’s fault, but ever since he came, Jongin had not been himself.”

“Jongin is growing up and so should you. We don’t know what will happen in the future but we can be ready to face it. Let’s first get Jongin back safely. Then we can worry about the rest of the things.”

With a sigh, Kyungsoo nodded.

 

Jongin and Suho had collected the money they made dancing and counted it carefully. They had made enough to last till breakfast the next day and some more. Jongin kept most of the money and gave Suho some coins to spend in the market.

“This is yours, you are the one who danced.” He pouted.

“Well, if not for you, I wouldn’t have bothered to dance. So you have a share in it.”

Suho looked at the coins in his hand and smiled.

“In that case, come with me.”

Suho dragged Jongin to the flower girl. He knelt down and examined the flowers before he zeroed down on a bright flower crown with yellow and pink flowers in it. He bought it with the money Jongin gave him and standing on his toes, placed it on Jongin’s head.

The pair went around buying street food to eat and watching the crowd pass by. They sat in the park for a while and spoke to some elders who seemed to have heard of Akirasan and the hospital. By evening, they were tired and the pair slowly made their way to the cottage debating whether they should buy dinner on the way.

At the entrance to what looked like the only official building in the village other than the police station, a group of strangers stood around. A shiver went down Suho’s spine looking at the ensign of their jackets.

“What is it Jun?”

Suho turned around and hid his face with his hands.

“They are here.”

“Who”

“Takashi’s clan. The men over there with the black jackets.”

Jongin looked over and caught a glimpse of men in black jackets and swords, going into the building. He hugged Suho and asked him if he wanted to return to the cottage. Suho agreed readily and the pair made their way away from the crowded square.

Jongin went out to call Yifan and also get them dinner.

Finally, once they were settled, Jongin and Suho sat on the bed discussing their responses for possible questions the next day.

“I am worried about the bond test. Mated bonds are very strong, ours is just a tentative and newly formed one.” Suho confessed.

“Suho hyung, you think I didn’t think of that? Do you remember how I chased after you when Takashi kidnapped you?”

“Yes…”

“We were near the edge of the next town when I felt you. Do you know how far that is?”

Suho shook his head.

“It’s over fifteen kilometres. Throughout the time I chased after the car, I felt you so strongly that even if I slacked for a few minutes and rested, I could still pick up where you were. I don’t feel this strongly even with Kyungsoo. So, don’t worry, we will be fine.”

Suho stared at Jongin for a full minute. “I didn’t know…”

They were silent for a few minutes and the Suho said, “thank you for today. I really had fun and you… you dance so well. I was amazed.”

Pride swelled in Jongin’s heart. He grinned happily and said, “You were not so bad yourself.”

“Yeah, if impersonating a rag doll can be called dancing.” Suho pouted.

“You are cute hyung, promise me you will smile like this more often.”

Suho looked at Jongin in surprise.

“I… I do smile often.”

Jongin dropped on the bed spreading his hands over his head and stretched. Then turning to look at Suho he said

“No you don’t, not when you are Suho. I don’t like Suho, he is too quiet and sad always. I like Jun better. Jun shouts at me if he thinks I did something wrong. He is shy but not quiet, he plays with me, is not scared of me and he smiles so beautifully always.”

Suho swallowed a lump in his throat. His eyes watered as he whispered “Jongin…”

The alpha hugged him close and said, “I want to be friends with Jun. Is that okay?”

Suho giggled into Jongin’s shirt.

“Ah, Jun is back. Maybe we will die tomorrow or maybe we will live, but know this hyung, I will always be your friend. No matter what happens in my life, I will always have time for you and I will always always try to make you smile.”

Jongin didn’t hear Suho’s reply, be he felt a small nod from the omega. With a smile on his face, Jongin let go of the shrimp shaped wolf and his side to sleep.