Words Not to Be Spoken

Bonded by Definition

Thanks everyone for your support so far. I did not realize that I was making Suho into a tragic hero. But things will change for him. As for the relationship between Jongin and Suho, I dont want them to just become something all of a sudden. I believe people come together and get attached to each other under unusual circumstances, but do these attachments remain strong once things become normal? - Sanofsouth

 

Jongin woke up with the Sun on his face and tiny hands on his chest pushing him insistently. His eyes fluttered open to see a dishevelled Suho staring at him.

“Whaa?” Jongin mumbled and rolled to the other side.

“A council member came by. Seems we should go to the health centre to give blood samples.”

“Laderrr….” Jongin had drifted off and would have continued his pleasant sleep if Suho did not shake him awake again.

“Whaad?”  

“We should perhaps talk before we…”

Jongin grumbled and got off the bed. It took him a while to figure out the bathroom, but he managed to find it eventually and promptly shut himself inside.

After 20 minutes, just as Suho was wondering if he should knock on the bathroom door, a freshly showered Jongin stepped out. He looked more awake than earlier and Suho pointed him to the breakfast on the table.

“Did you eat?”

Suho nodded looking down. There was awkwardness in the air and neither knew how to break it. Jongin felt Suho returning to his quiet self and that for some reason made him angry. He was also not happy with the phenomenal weight of something unnamed tugging at his heart every time he looked at the bent head of the omega.

From where he sat, he could only see the scared left side of Suho’s face and that more than anything reminded him of what they were before Takashi. Jongin had always felt a nameless urge to protect Suho, but he was never sure where to go with that. Ignoring Suho and his own feelings were so much easier when they were in the pack. Besides Suho had others like Jongin’s own brother looking out for him. But the past few days have made it impossible for him to ignore Suho. Their discussion the night before explained some of the things that made Suho who he was and Jongin didn’t like it. In fact, he didn’t like Suho at all. But they had more pressing matters, so Jongin parked his thoughts and got down to business.

“Right, so I think we should discuss our story now.”

 

“Kyungsoo! Stop pacing for a moment and let me think.” Yifan threw his arms up in frustration.

“Oh, so in addition to lending out my mate, I also have no right to pace in peace. What is wrong with you all? Saving  Suho is one thing but fake mating him with Jongin? Hasn’t it gone too far? Why are you all even considering going along with this charade?”

Kyungsoo’s voice bounced off the cottage walls they were all staying at. They had arrived at a village late last night and Yifan had called Jongin as per the message from Sehun. Kyungsoo had been there eager to talk too, but the minute Jongin explained what had happened to Yifan, the alpha had cut the call short and returned to the cottage to discuss their next course of action.

In the bright morning light, the four members of the pack sat down to discuss how they were going to deal with the complication of Jongin and Suho’s fake mating. Thankfully, Yukimaru ha gone into town looking for information and rations.

“So what do you suggest Kyungsoo, do we let Jongin and Suho get punished for murder? Chen interjected. Yixing was beyond words and was leaning heavily on his mate distraught and exhausted with no tears left to spare.

“How dare you? Jongin is my mate. And I want him alive, but Suho? Suho killed his mate and he alone should face the consequences. All we have to prove is Jongin and Suho are not mates and that’s all.”

“In all the years you have known my brother, did you ever stop to know him at all? When had any of us ever changed Jongin’s mind about anything? I want my brother back in one piece and I will do anything and lie to anyone. Just don’t do… do anything that will kill him.” Yixing cried in frustration

“Maybe Suho hyung has him mind controlled. I respect Suho hyung and it’s difficult to believe, but Suho can influence other wolves’ minds and what if he is trying to survive by controlling Jongin?”

  Chen laughter rang loud and for a full minute.

“Chen Chen… we don’t…” Yifan groaned exhausted and tired of the discussion.

“Your brother has a very funny understanding of my brother-in-law and therein lies the problem. “

Chen turned to Kyungsoo, “Jongin is smart and devious. If you stop for one minute and let him be himself, you will realize that he is not only intelligent but also stubborn to the core. This plan, make no mistake, is Jongin’s work and it will serve you good to remember that he is an alpha of the pack and not just your mutt. As for Suho, he is pack and as an alpha of this pack, I will protect him.”

“You always liked him didn’t you? What’s with the alphas of this pack that makes you all fall over each other for that two faced intruder? Why dear alpha, is Yixing hyung not enough? You want another...”

A resounding slap echoed inside the room. “One more word out of you about my husband and I will murder you.” Yixing’s eyes were on fire and he was so fast that the rest of them just stood in stunned silence.

“How dare you hit…” Kyungsoo raised his hand but someone caught it. Yifan’s grip was strong as he dragged his brother into the next room.

“Stay here and cool your head. I have been treating you for far too long as my brother and not as an omega of this pack. But I can’t do that anymore.  You crossed a line today and you know it. When you step out, you better be ready to apologize to Chen and Yixing and as for Jongin and Suho, as the pack leader, I will decide what needs to be done.” Yifan closed the door with a resounding thud and locked it.

Yixing was sobbing into Chen’s chest and the alpha was trying to console his mate. Yifan looked at them and with a bowed head and apologised for his brother.

“I am sorry for my brother. The words he uttered are unforgivable and I will understand if you both wish to break out of the pack. Unlike Kyungsoo, I also understand that Jongin will never forgive us if he ever gets to hear of Kyungsoo’s words. Not as an alpha but as a friend, can you please forgive my brother and stay with the pack?”

Chen looked at him in understanding.

“We have come a long way Yifan and I understand Kyungsoo too. He is hurting because he feels Jongin slipping through his fingers but he has to grow up. We will not leave the pack just because of a few hastily spoken words nor will we talk about this to anyone else. But you better control your brother. In the end, if it comes down to Yixing and Jongin against the pack, I will choose them.”

“I understand, believe me I am distraught by this conflict just as much as you are. I will do everything in my power to bring back Jongin to you both. Now take your mate and rest. We will be leaving tomorrow morning to attend the trial.”

Chen carried Yixing to their room and set him on the bed. It was painful to watch his mate in so much pain but there was nothing much he can do except to be there for him. He got up to get some water when a slim hand caught his. Yixing’s watery eyes stared back at him.

“You know I don’t believe a word of…” Yixing  whispered.

Chen sat down beside his mate and bent down to kiss his forehead.

“I know, how can I even doubt that with the way you fought for my honour?” Chen laughed.

Yixing smiled and his dimple peeking out was like the Sun emerging behind storm clouds in Chen’s eyes.

 

Suho and Jongin had given their blood samples at the health centre and were then asked to take photographs to go into the police records. Here in came an unexpected problem. A crowd had gathered at the studio to catch a glimpse of the pair that had fought a rouge alpha and neither Jongin nor Suho were comfortable with that. But Suho felt even more distraught given that people were staring at his face.

The previous day, Jongin had informed the elders that Suho was disfigured and that he was not comfortable with strangers. That had ensured that none of the investigation party were surprised by Suho’s face and in fact each of them had been unusually kind. But now the crowd was not in the least bit sensitive and Suho was getting more and more agitated. Jongin pulled Suho onto his lap and pressed Suho to his chest to hide him with his bulk which in turn earned a lot of “Chooo chweet” from the women in the crowd. Even the men gave approving looks towards Jongin.

Both Suho and Jongin were expected to provide photos in human as well as wolf form. But Suho was reluctant to change. Only then it occurred to Jongin that he had never seen Suho in his wolf form.

“Jun, you must change, please, the sooner you change, the faster we can get out of here.”

Suho shook his head, “I don’t want to.”

“Jun, come on, this is not the time to be shy. Let’s get it over with.”

“I can’t”

“What? Why?”

Suho’s face turned red. He whispered something into Jongin’s ears.

Jongin stared at his supposed mate with an incredulous look and shook his head with an indulgent smile.

He spoke to the wolf representative and dragged Suho into a makeshift changing room at the station so that they can change to their wolf form in privacy.

When they both emerged, there was a collective “awe” that went around the crowd.

A large tan brown wolf with specs of black strutted ahead with another wolf half it’s size following behind. The site was even stranger because the smaller one was haphazardly but effectively covered in a blue blanket. The smaller wolf’s left side was scarred from the snout to the neck but the rest of it that was not covered by the blanket was snow white. First the larger wolf posed for the pictures while the smaller one shyly laid down with just its head peeking out from under the blanket. Then when it was the smaller ones turn the tan wolf its snout and bumped its nose before slowly pulling the blanket away. Then the big wolf stood in front protecting the smaller one from view of the crowd staring in from the outside. Once the photos were taken, the larger one pulled the blanket over the smaller one before leading it back into the changing room.

Neither of the wolves knew but the next day when Yifan would walk around the market, he would find a photo of a wolf suspiciously looking like Jongin and another cute one with a scar but covered in a blanket displayed on the front page of the local daily.