A Deal for the Future

Bonded by Definition

“For those of you assembled here today, you are fortunate to have witnessed a true bond and it unfathomable power. The council chose to give a near impossible trial to the pair in question, but they have proven that a bond is not something superficial but something that is buried in our souls. We the council members under wolf law unanimously declare that Jongin and Joonmyun are by far one of the strongest mated pair in bond strength and should be allowed to live their lives in peace. However, there is something that still needs to be proved in this trial.”

The hall was packed and quiet chattering began, but an undercurrent of jubilance can be felt among the people assembled. Jongin and Joonmyun stood in the center with the Ninja clan on the left and their own pack members in the right. While the Ninjas gave nothing away with their masked faces, nothing can stop Yixing and Kyungsoo from hugging each other when Jongin and Suho were declared innocent. But the last sentence brought the trail hall alive with murmurs again.

Two council members came in bearing a tray each and stood right in front of the council.

“Joonmyun and Jongin, please step forward.”

Suho and Jongin did. The head of the council directed them to stand in front of the wolves bearing the tray.

“By wolf law you are mates beyond a doubt. We apologise for the severity of the trial and our doubts on your affections for each other. But nothing can be greater than breathing for the other person and keeping them alive by sheer force of will. Beyond a doubts, you have proven you loyalty to each other. Here are two rings made of the finest diamonds in front of you. The council feels that it’s only fitting that we aid in your marriage by human standards. Do you both agree?”

Suho froze, he didn’t know what to say.

“I refuse.” Jongin said bravely.

A hush descended on the trial and all eyes were trained on Jongin. With a smile, Jongin went up to Suho and pulled him into a protective hug. He patted the omega’s back reassuringly and then with a kiss on the lips, he stepped aside. Jongin however did not let go of Suho’s hand.

“I do not want diamonds to marry my omega. When I marry him, I will do so with my own humble offering that came from my own labour. I pride myself as an alpha, a provider, and I would marry my omega only on my mate’s terms. The council is kind but the gesture in unnecessary as diamond’s do not fit us. They are a symbol of power which I have no need for. I only need a symbol of love, a token that would remind my mate that no matter what life throws at him, he can face it bravely because I will stand beside him giving him my strength.”

Suho had tears in his eyes his heart stuttered on its own volition. But the council addressed him in turn.

“Omega Joonmyun, even if you agree with your mate, as a token of our repentance for almost killing you in the trial, we would like to present you these diamond rings. Unlike your alpha, you being an omega with strong nesting instincts surely see the value of these diamonds. Take them as a security for the family you will one day build with your alpha.”

Suho looked at the diamonds and sadly smiled. In his heart he knew there was no future for him with Jongin and yes the diamonds would save him from the clutches of poverty in his lonely elder years. But here and now, he liked pretending to be Jongin’s mate.

“It’s very kind of the council to offer us such precious treasures; however, I stand by my mate. I do not desire anything more than what my mate can provide. I do not want anything that does not come from the blood of sweat of my mate or me. I am no helpless omega, I am a healer and I have sustained myself and my family well enough until recently. I do not need what my mate does not and hence I politely decline.”

The council looked at them curiously. Then the head of the council took one of the rings and came towards Suho.

“Your loyalty to your mate is unfailing. By the same respect and regard you hold for him, won’t you accept even one of these rings? It is sufficient for you to go abroad and treat your scar.”

Jongin made as if to pull Suho away from the head council but two guards grabbed him by the shoulder and held him firm. The wolf continued.

“I see that you should have been a beautiful omega once, but now you are scarred and ugly. Don’t you think your mate finds you repulsive? You are an older omega well past his prime but with surgery you can look as beautiful as an omega your alpha deserves. Look at your alpha, he is young and so handsome that a thousand pretty omega’s will fall for him. Don’t you at least want to give him this?”

Each word the council head spoke was like an arrow piercing Suho’s heart. Everything said was true except he was not Jongin’s mate and he will never be.

“My alpha may not desire me anymore, but he never stopped being my alpha. He stood by me and saved me so many times that I have lost count. He didn’t even allow me to wear a mask. So I don’t need to look better for him. Whatever he needs me to be, I will be in this form that is me now. If he finds other omegas to his desire, he can choose to be with them. I will always support him with my bond but never stand in his way.”

“And what of you alpha Jongin, will you accept this diamond so that you can treat your omega’s scar?”

Jongin was literally foaming at his mouth.

“You almost killed us but I never lost my respect for the council. But now I do not respect you for the way you spoke to my mate. How dare you imply that I do not desire my Jun? How dare you imply that he doesn’t look beautiful? You are all blind. When he smiles, my whole world brightens. To me, my Jun is the miracle that made me the alpha I am today. He is fine the way he is. His age and scar are part of him that makes him my Jun. For the last time, we don’t need your diamonds or riches. Just stop insulting my mate and let us go so that I can remind my Jun how much I love him every moment for the rest of my life.”

The guards let go of Jongin who pulled Suho into a chest hug burying Suho’s face into his neck. The hall erupted into applause even as the council member spoke.

“Well said alpha, well said. Thus we have eliminated greed as a motive. Clan of the Clover Leaf, we conclude that your claims of greed as the motivating factor for your clan member’s death stand dismissed. However, a loss of life is a loss of life and if there is any compensation within reasonable limits that you desire from the wolf clan, we will see to it so that our ties with your clan can be settled and balanced.”

 The ninja sitting in the center stood up and declared, “we demand…”

“You surely don’t think you have the right to speak in the presence of your clan leader do you.”

All eyes turned towards the new voice. Yukimaru had pulled off the mask from his face and stood with a smirk on his face. The surprised clan members stiffly bent forward in respect.

“Let me introduce myself. I am Yukimaru, the step-brother of Takashi Sunobathi and the current leader of the Clan of Clover Leaf. Not many know of this but I have been a witness to Takashisan and Suhosan’s  relationship since the beginning. Knowing how my brother had treated Suhosan, I believe that he had finally crossed the line in his cruelty and that his death is justified.”

Yukimaru turned to smile at a surprised Suho. With a nod he bent forward in respect and continued.

“Nevertheless, as compensation, I humbly request that you re-establish the college that my brother burnt down. The loss of life and knowledge in that incident can never be made up, but a small place to begin will be to gather the few remaining healers. You as one of the few remaining healers trained at the College, will you undertake the task of re-establishing it as compensation for the loss of my brother?”