Surprise

Sideways Glance

You and Bobby ate in silence and this was the first time you felt uncomfortable with him. He simply kept his head down and ate quietly, but like any young and growing boy he ate so much. You chuckled to yourself at you watched him easily eat two portions by himself and keep eating like there wouldn't be any food tomorrow. He looked up at you curiously as you laughed at him. "What?" he asked curiously, but his attention went right back to the food. 

"Were you hungry?" you asked jokingly. 

Bobby swallowed and laughed. "It's not everyday that I get a home cooked meal," he stated. "Restaurant food isn't bad or anything, but it's not the same, you know?" he asked before popping a piece of pickeled radish in his mouth. 

Your mind suddenly went to the first day you had arrived in Korea, all alone, in an empty apartment with a kitchen that had no food in it. You remembered how much you had craved for your mom's cooking and what you wouldn't have given for someone to just cook for you. But instead, you had been forced to go out and get take out from a nearby restaurant. It had been good enough as sustinence but you had wanted something else. You smiled a little to yourself. Bobby's words had been able to conjure a memory for you and the two of you had experienced something similar enough to relate to one another.

"What are you smiling about now?" Bobby asked curiously. 

"Nothing," you replied, "just I know that feeling too." 

Silence fell again between you two but this time you weren't uncomfortable at all. When he was done Bobby smiled widely and leaned back and patted his stomach like a child. "I'm full. Thank you for the meal!" 

You smiled and stood to clear the table. You heard clinking dished behind you and saw Bobby attempting to clear the table too but having no idea where to put things. You took the dirty dishes from him and set them in the sink. "Can I help?" he asked tentatively as he stood awkwardly at the edge of the kitchen. 

"No, that's okay," you answered. "I can do it later."

"Let me help," he insisted. "It's only the nice thing to do." Something in his tone told you not to argue with him. He brushed past you to the sink and he pulled on the rubber gloves and started doing dishes. You looked at him a little shocked before putting the side dishes into the fridge and then going to stand next to him to rinse and dry the clean dishes. 

You glanced up at him once. You found yourself doing that a lot. The rubber gloves looked out of place with the rest of his hip hop style clothes. But what you were looking at was a small furrow between his brows from concentration and the slight pout of his lips. He looked so determined to wash those dishes to an inch of death. He was so focussed he didn't even notice your glance that had turned into a stare. You blinked and looked away. 

"Bobby?" you asked, snapping him out of his focus. 

"Hm?" he asked passing you a soapy dish to rinse.

"Why did you ask me for help earlier?" you asked. 

"Because you needed mine," he stated bluntly. "I could have ran out of there without anyone noticing, I think, but I don't know. You looking like that in the alley, something told me to talk to you. I don't know how to explain it. Why do we do anything?" he answered vaguely. 

"But how did you know?" youu asked again. "I was just some stranger, hell I could have been a crazy person."

Bobby laughed. "You in your pencil skirt business name tag? There's no way you could have been a crazyy person." He paused to chuckled under his breath. "To be honest, I didn't know," he said more seriously. "I just thought with the look on your face, that you wanted to get away. To run away. Was I right?" He paused washing dishes to look down at you but you didn't raise your face to meet his gaze. 

There was a long moment where you were thinking it through. "Yeah," you murmured, "I think you were." After that the rest of the dishes were finished in silence. 


After the dishes were finished, to your surprise, Bobby didn't leave. He flopped down on the couch and you tentatively sat next to him. You the TV just to fill the silence. It was a rerun episode of Show Me The Money. You didn't know what season because you never really watched it. You had just heard about it from friends and just from news around you. You saw Bobby smile slyly next to you. "I take it you don't watch this show," he stated. 

You shook your head as you settled more comfortably onto the couch, hugging a pillow to your chest. You recognized Swings and SanE and Dok2 and Tablo. "Do you watch the show?" you asked. He was a rapper after all. Just then as the intro ended they flashed recaps of the last episode and there was Bobby's face and him doing segments of interviews. You picked up the remote and muted the TV. "What?" you asked calmly to Bobby. On the inside you were shocked out of your mind. How had he sad there with a straight face and looked at you in the eye without cracking up.

A tumult of laughter spilt out of Bobby as he playfully hit your thigh. "I wanted to see your reaction," he laughed. 

As he continued to laugh, you grabbed your phone and searched Show Me The Money. You quickly found out that the season was season 3 and Bobby had won that season. You sighed and tossed your phone onto the couch next to you. "Wow, that's embarassing," you said more to yourself than to Bobby. "You actually won that show." You laughed at your own stupidness and covered your face with your hands. 

Suddenly, a phone rang. It wasn't yours. It was Bobby's. He jumped and struggled to pull it out of his pocket while he was sitting down. "Oh, HanBin-ah," he said into the phone when he answered. "I'm at a friend's house....... No, I just needed some fresh air.... Yeah, I know it's been hours. Sorry I didn't text you....... I don't know. Do we have morning schedule tomorrow?......... Really? Okay......No probably not.....Yeah. Don't worry, I'll be careful...... Okay haha, OKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! Hang up!" He hung up and sighed almost in relief or in happiness almost. 

"Who was that?" you asked quietly.

"You really don't know who I am, do you?" Bobby asked looking up at you. 

"Uh... you're an idol," you said lamely, "but other than that, not really. No."

"I love it," Bobby yelled excitedly, startling you. "That was the leader, BI," he explained more quietly. "He was just checking up on me and he told me we don't have any morning schedules tomorrow," he giggled excitedly and did an odd wiggle dance as he slumped on the couch. 

You laughed at his silliness. Suddenly he looked up and your eyes met. An electric shock ran up your spine as the two of you stopped everything and just looked at each other. You barely even breathed. You didn't know how long the two of you just looked at one another or how long it would be. But what seemed like an eternity later, Bobby finally blinked and opened his mouth to speak.

"Can I sleep here tonight?" he whispered. 


A/N: Hello to those of you reading this~ I hope you're enjoying this fic so far... I've decided this fic will be slower paced than your normal fanfic. I'd like to make it as real-life-relationship-like as possible. So therefore, I see it going a lot more like Jee makes friends with Bobby, they become like best friends, and THEN the relationship happens. Let me know what you think about that and if you have any other comments, questions, concerns, etc. in the comments. 

ALSO to those of you keeping up with iKon at the moment, is it just me or is Bobby looking more chiselled and more grown up recently? Just me??