Cake

Sideways Glance

Bobby's eyes lit up like a child's as you slipped back into the chair across from him. He smiled at the cake and the candles and the small chocolate rectangle with "happy birthday" written on it. It seemed like he just couldn't stop staring and smiling like a child at the birthday cake. You laughed at his expression. "Hurry," you encouraged, "the candles are dripping." Yout watched as liquid wax dripped towards the cake. Thankfully Bobby clasped his hands in front of him and closed his eyes. His face turned serious, his brow furrowing for a moment before he opened his eyes and blew out the candles. You clapped and cheered quietly. You reached over to pull out the candles, but Bobby stopped you by grabbing your wrist.

"I have to take a picture," he said in a rush. You smiled and pulled away as he shuffled to pull out his phone. You smiled wider as he took a picture of the cake from every angle. "Take one of me," he said so naturally. He handed you his phone and smiled at you. He lifted the cake closer to his face and smiled widely as you held up his phone and snapped a few pictures. He looked at them and nodded in approval. "You too," he said gesturing for you to come sit in the chair next to him. For one millisecond, you hesitated. He wanted to take a picture with you. That was normal, right? But this meant there would be physical evidence of you two meeting and being in each other's lives. It wouldn't just all be in your head. Nervousness and excitement mixed in your stomach as you got up to sit next to him. Once you were sitting, Bobby held up the cake with one hand and held up his phone in the other. You saw in his phone screen that he was leaning in towards you and you leaned in slightly, throwing up a "V"-sign and smiling up at his phone. Bobby gave his signature swag-side-smirk and snapped multiple pictures. He put down the cake and leaned over for you to see the pictures. They all looked pretty similar and you smiled as he nodded enthusiastically in approval. 

"Do you really like it that much?" you asked as you got up to get plates and forks. 

Bobby laughed. "Of course I do," he said matter-of-factly. "It's a pretty cake."

"I'm sure you've been given cake for your birthday though," you replied. "Didn't your members celebrate with you in the past?" 

"Sure they did," Bobby said still scrolling through the pictures. You sat back down across from him and began to cut the cake. Serving up two slices. "But this one is special," he said chuckling under his breath. "It's been a long time since I've had a birthday with someone else besides my members and company people." He place a bit of cake between his lips and giggled at the sweetness. 

"What did you wish for?' you asked before you could stop yourself. He had looked so serious when he had been wishing before blowing out the candles. 

Bobby looked over at you. "If I tell you it won't come true," he replied sassily. His seriousness caught you off guard and you wondered if you had offended him. But before you could say anything Bobby spoke again. "I'm kidding," he laughed. "I wished for another year of adventures and for my family's health and for you." He looked back down at his plate as he took another bite of cake. 

You sat frozen for a minute. Had you heard right? Or had you heard wrong? Bobby had wished for you? Your what? Health? Luck? Or just you? "For me?" you heard yourself saying. "What about me?"

Bobby looked up at you and he wasn't smiling anymore. He was actually serious as he gazed back at you steadily. Chills ran up and down your spine as his eyes never wavered from yours. "I want this to work," he murmured. "Sometimes my friends stop being friends because of who I am." He paused to take another bite of cake. "Jee," he whispered, "being an idol isn't easy, not just for me, but for those around me too. I'm like... fire. I'll warm you from afar like if you're a fan or someone who watches me on TV, but if you get to close, it's easy to get burned and hurt." He put down his fork. "I understand it this friendship gets too hard for you, but I'm going to be selfish and tell you that this is something that heals me. I hope we don't become strangers again. That's what I wished for." 

All you could do was stare at him. And then it hit you. He was afraid and it was lifestyle he had chosen yet not seen all the consequences of. He was such a loved person and yet he seemed lonely. To you it didn't matter if he was famous. It didn't matter if he was an idol. His fans didn't matter. It didn't matter that he was on TV, performed on stage, had a million fangirls, traveled the world to stand on stage. All that mattered to you was the physical form of a man that sat in front of you in that very moment of time. Against your better judgement you reached across the table and placed your hand over his that rested on the table by his cake. You took a deep breath and let it out ver slowly trying to calm your heart and clear you mind. "I guess I'll have to learn to be fire-resistant," you murmured. You drew back and his face cracked into a wide smile once again. Your heart swelled as he smiled. That smile was directed at you and you couldn't help but feel like that's all it took to follow this boy until the end. 


The serious atmosphere broke and Bobby and you moved to the couch. You the TV and again a rerun of "Show Me The Money 3" was on. You decided to wach it. It was episode where Bobby was battling Vasco for the first time with "Go." You watched his performance rivetted by his stage presence and rapping skill. 

"Jee," Bobby said snapping your attention away from the screen. 

You turned your head away from the TV to look at him. He had his hood pulled up and his arms were crossed loosely over his chest. "Hm?" you asked.

"When is your birthday?" he asked glancing over to meet your gaze. 

"Not until April," you answered. "April 18th," you clarified. "I expect big things," you laughed. 

Bobby chuckled but said nothing. Both of you turned your attention back to the screen. Bobby and Vasco were waiting for the results of the battle. The Bobby on the TV looked so different from the Bobby sitting next to you. It had only been a year since the show but to you Bobby looked so different. You glanced over at him. His face was more defined, sleeker. Not to mention it looked like he had bulked out a little bit, lost his baby fat and finally grown into his body to where he was comfortable and not lanky or awkward in it. His hair had grown out and suited him better. But in general, he looked so much more mature and grown up...? Or at least you thought so. 

Bobby's eyes slid and met yours. "What ar you looking at?" he chuckled at you. 

"You look different from then," you stated. 

"Hm?" Bobby hummed in slight confusion. "How do you mean?"

Blush burned across your face. How were you going to phrase this in a way that didn't sound weird?? "You look... older," you said after hesitating. "More like an adult? Like a man not a boy? Does that make sense?" you asked cringing at the words coming out of your mouth. Weird. Weird. WEIRD, you screamed at yourself in your head. What kind of weird words were you spouting?

"Really?" Bobby asked. He smiled at you and you could tell it was a smug smirk. He was proud of himself. Or satisfied even at your statement. You gaped at him in shock. He had liked that comment? You couldn't believe it. "I'll be right back," he said standing up and rummaging through his backpack. He pulled out a pair of sweats and a large tank top. "I'm going to change. I've been in these clothes all day."

You swallowed hard as your heart beat quickened in your chest. "Are you staying over?" you asked quietly.

"Of course I am," he replied curtly before disappearing down the hall to the bathroom. 


A/N: PHEW~ Finally, FINALLY an update. I've been busy so sorry this had taken so long. I hope you enjoy this chapter. A little bit of a more serioud side to Bobby. Also does anyone else notice the apparent physical changes in Bobby that I so poorly describe in this chapter??? (Like if you look at him during "Mix & Match" versus now... he looks crazy more grown up, right???) Please look forward to more chapters and please comment. I love hearing from my readers. 

Also what I describe as Bobby's "signature swag-side-smirk" is this: