Clear

Sideways Glance

You put one foot carefulling in front of each other as you balanced on a small ledge on the walkway by the Han River. The cool, fall breeze from the river seemed to clear your mind and you were thinking more sharply than before. You squinted at the low-in-the-sky, orange sun that cast a warm light on everything in sight. You breathed in the crisp air and almost forgot about everything. 

Almost everything.

There were two things you couldn't shake from your mind. First, your friend's death. Second, the boyish prescence clad in a hoodie following a few paces behind you. 

Bobby had followed you to the river despite you insisting you would be fine. He had simply said he was going to go there anyway and tagged along. You had chatted idly on the subway there, but once you were there Bobby trailed behind you letting you have your space. It felt nice to have alone time to think but to not actually be alone. You trailed down to the grassy part of the park. The grass was dry and not jade green anymore but you sat down and watched the longer grass closer to the river sway in the breeze. You pulled your knees up to your chest and placed your scarf over your knees to cover your legs and the end of your pencil skirt. The sound of the breeze through the grass was like a song and you let out the breath in your lungs to let it join the breeze. 

After a moment, Bobby approached you but just stood a small distance behind you. After a minute of him just standing, you turned towards him. "You can sit if you want," you said, patting the ground next to you. 

Bobby hesitated for a moment before taking a seat next to you. He imitated your position and brought his kees to his chest. The two of you sat in silence for a time just watching the light on the water. You took a sideways glance at him. His eyes were narrowed due to the sun in them but he looked so... soft. His skin was smooth, the slope of his nose was soft, the curve fo his cheekbones, the cloud-like lips, the soft angle of his eyes. The only sharp feature seemed to be his jawline. As you looked, you saw Bobby's eyes slide to meet yours and then disappear completely as he smiled at you. Your heart stuttered a little bit at how completely and untterly adorable his smile was. "What are you looking at?" he asked jokingly. 

"You," you replied without breaking the gaze. 

"Do you like what you see?" he asked. 

"Uh... maybe," you replied vaguely. You turned your gaze away and returned to looking out at the river. After a while, the sun began to sink below the horizon and you stood up. "I should go home," you stated more to yourself than to Bobby. 

Bobby rocked to his feet. "Can I take you home?" he asked. "Actually no. Let me take you home," he rephrased. "It's getting dark." 

You opened your mouth to protest, but instead "okay" came out. The two of you made your way back to the main street and Bobby hailed a taxi. He opened the door for you and the two of you got in. You gave the taxi driver the address and soon evening Seoul was gliding past you in your window. 

"You live kind of far from your work," Bobby commented idly. 

"Yeah, but I like the area where I live," you said. "Plus it's close to a subway station so commuting isn't bad."

"It's also my neighborhood," Bobby said nonchalantly. 

You tore your eyes away from the cityscape to look at him. "Are you allowed to just tell people where you live?" you asked incredulously. 

"You're not 'people'," Bobby protested. "Plus I don't think you're the crazy stalker fan type. Also, it's not like I gave you my exact address or the building I live in. Just the neighborhood." He paused for a momement. "And who says this isn't just a one time thing," he said more quietly. 

"I hope not," you whispered. 

Bobby smiled at you and pinched your cheek. "I hope not either," he said. 

He let go of your cheek but your cheek still tingled warmly where he had touched you. The rest of the taxi ride was spent in silence. Soon the city began to look more familiar and you knew you were almost home. The taxi pulled over to the side of the road and before you could pay the driver, Bobby had already paid and pushed you and himself out the taxi. In response to your shocked expression, he simply smiled and walked towards your apartment building like he owned the place. "Hey," he said quietly, "do you want to go out?"

"Go out?" you asked in confusion. Your head spun as you tried to piece together what kind of "go out" this was. Was it a date? Or just casual food? Or like clubbing "out"? Or like drinks? Or WHAT?

"Yeah, you know like," he paused, "like food. I'm hungry and don't really want to go back to my dorm. I know a few good places around here."

"Um..." your mind shuffled through your options. "Do you want me to cook for you?" you heard yourself blurt out. "I mean, like... I have everything already... and you've helped me so much today... and you've been so nice. I could do that if you want." You stumbled over your words as you lowered your eyes to your shoes. "I'm making jaeyook bokkeum (spicy pork) tonight."

There was a long moment of silence. Your mind raced. He must think you're so weird, creepy, and crazy for inviting him in and making him food. "If you don't want to -"

"Sounds great," Bobby interrupted you. 

Your head snapped up and Bobby smiled at me. "Food is the best way to a man's heart," he stated, "but don't think I'm falling for you yet." 

You were extremely conscious of Bobby as you typed in the passcode to your apartment. The door binged open and you walked in. Your apartment was neat but that was mainly due to your lack of excessive things. You stepped out of your shoes and gestured for Bobby to come in. You ran ahead of him to turn on lights. Bobby slowly made his way into your small apartment. It was just a small living room with a couch and attached dining room and kitchen, one bedroom, one bathroom, and a small storage room. "Make yourself at home," you said as Bobby looked around. Once he was settled on the couch, you ran to your room and changed out of your work clothes. You settled on some loose sweat joggers and a plain black t-shirt. You pulled your hair out of your face into a high ponytail as you made your way to the kitchen. You pulled out the pork. It had been marinating for a night in your fridge and was ready to be cooked and eaten.

"Can I help you?" Bobby asked from behind you.