Mean

Open Doors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After class, you decided to go home for a quick nap before setting out on a modeling job. You were still bummed out about the whole Eunha thing (no, Kihyun's pep talk did not cheer you up at all and it actually made you feel worse) but work was work and you had to push it to the back of your mind for now. You were good at that. Being Kihyun's roommate may have made you more upfront with your feelings, but you'd rather die than become as dramatic as him.

You stepped into the elevator and found Shownu holding it open for you. You smiled. "Hey, Shownu."

"Hey!" Shownu greeted, punching your floor button in the elevator. He had such a positive attitude, you didn't realize how much you needed it until after that conversation with Minhyuk. Minhyuk was quite... grim. Shownu noticed your expression change with your thoughts, and gave a curious look. "What's up?"

"Just going back to the apartment for a bit," you replied as you leaned against the elevator wall. "I have some time to kill, so-"

"You should come over to Wonho's and my place," Shownu offered, looking excited at the prospect. "We're always at Kihyun's and yours, so it'd only be fair."

You were tired and really wanted to take a nap, but how could you say no to Shownu? Sure you were used to being mean to Kihyun, but you weren't a mean person. Too bad Shownu wasn't more like Kihyun. No, scratch that. You did not mean that. At all. Seriously. 

You smiled, refreshing your expression into a more awake one. "Sure. Is Wonho there?"

"I don't know, maybe," Shownu replied, looking down at his watch. "Wonho's kind of mysterious. He sort of just slips in and out when he wants to. I don't know know where he goes. See, I have this theory-"

The door opened so he stopped talking and started walking. You sort of wanted to hear the end of that, but Shownu didn't look like he planned on continuing.

You and Shownu walked past your apartment door a few doors down the hall to the Shownu's door. He pulled out a key from his back pocket and unlocked it. You forgot some people actually used those, and realized you probably should talk to Kihyun about locking the door more often (or at all).

Shownu opened the door and revealed a really clean apartment. Really clean. It didn't even have much aside from the necessities, but it had a style to the way it was furnished. You blinked. "A lot cleaner than I expected... no offense."

"Yeah," Shownu sighed. "Wonho likes to keep things neat. I tell him he should be a maid, but he's set on the whole biologist thing, so whatever. I still support him."

You smiled and then Shownu gestured for you to sit on the couch, which looked like it had barely been sat on ever. You hesitated, but then Wonho walked out of the bathroom with just a towel around his waist, and you blanked. He had a nice body, but you looked away as soon as you looked, because you knew you shouldn't be looking. You gaped and looked at Shownu, who hadn't noticed anything was out of the ordinary.

Wonho gasped as soon as he saw you, but his eyes fell on Shownu immediately just like yours had. He tightened his towel and his eyes widened to Shownu. "Shownu!"

"Sorry! I didn't realize," Shownu replied, holding his hands up in defense as he gave a difficult look. "Well, too be fair, she's a model. She probably sees beautiful shirtless men all the time."

"Don't call my body beautiful," Wonho blurted, covering his chest with his arms. "It's weird."

You stared straight at the wall and wondered when Wonho would put on a shirt or something. You knew not to look, but the fact that you shouldn't really made you want to. You cleared your throat.

"I'm not calling your body beautiful," Shownu replied, rolling his eyes. "I'm just saying that since she sees beautiful bodies, and yours is obviously not wow, it doesn't really matter."

Wonho huffed impatiently. "Shownu!"

"Look, I don't see why that matters," you replied, feeling flustered. "Just, Wonho, just go and change. I'm sorry."

Wonho nodded and rushed to his room. Shownu laughed airily, feeling as though the tension was gone even if it wasn't on your end. He sat down next to you on the couch and sighed. "Sorry. Wonho's just nervous because he likes you."

You raised an eyebrow. "I doubt that's why he's nervous."

"Well, yeah, but part of it," Shownu replied as he looked up in thought, digging through his mind for the rest of the answer. "Wonho's a difficult guy to understand. You have to take what little you get and draw your own conclusions." He winked. "Trust me, I'm right most of the time."

You knew for a fact Wonho didn't like you. It was weird to imagine. Wonho seemed so careful and sealed off that you didn't think he'd like someone he just met. That wouldn't make any sense, right?

Wonho returned a few seconds later fully clothed in a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt, much more comfortable to look at. You didn't feel uncomfortable looking at shirtless guys (Kihyun walked around shirtless all the time and plus it happened to you as a model) but it was uncomfortable to see Wonho so uncomfortable.

"Sorry," he said, clearing his throat as he scruffed his hair awkwardly. "I didn't know we'd have company."

"Don't worry," you replied, smiling thinly. "Shownu should've said something to you."

"I was trying to be nice, and yet it's my fault?" Shownu asked, giving a baffled expression. "How does this fall on me?"

"It just does," Wonho replied, giving him a look. He sighed, his eyes flickering over the apartment. "Sorry. The place is a mess. I haven't had a chance to clean up."

You gave him a concerned look. "The place is spotless, Wonho. Really. You make me feel bad about how my place looks."

Wonho paused. He didn't mean it like that. He criticized his own place much heavier than anywhere else. He didn't even wipe the table. It was full of fingerprints and smudges. There was dust on the bookshelf (probably). He cleared his throat again. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that. It's just-"

"Wonho's a clean freak," Shownu explained in a much more casual fashion. "We all have our quirks. I just happen to be a slob. He used to exile me to Kihyun's whenever I ate something, but now you live there, so... now he just makes me wear napkins as bibs."

Wonho nodded. He wasn't always like this. Just when he moved in with Shownu.

"You learn something everyday," you replied, nodding. "We should just switch then. I can live here with Wonho, and you can deal with Kihyun."

Shownu's expression brightened. "Great! I'll go grab my stuff."

As he began to walk away, Wonho yanked him back by the back of his shirt. "I think she's kidding," he said, giving Shownu a tired look. He looked at you and sighed. "Another one of Shownu's quirks is he doesn't understand sarcasm."

You pouted slightly. You weren't being sarcastic. Wonho would be a cooler roommate (he was a cooler friend). Anyone would be a better roommate than Kihyun (well after hearing about Shownu maybe not). Then again, Wonho seemed uncomfortable with you just being in the apartment now, so it didn't seem like a good idea for you to be roommates. The mixed gender roommate situation wasn't for everyone.

"I'm just not skeptical of my friends," Shownu replied, giving Wonho a look to match the one Wonho gave him. "I trust them and what they say. I think everyone should do the same."

Wonho shook his head tiredly. "Never change, Shownu."

Shownu smiled proudly. "On second thought, I like living here. It must living with Kihyun, huh. He's tough."

"Yeah, but I'm tougher," you replied, not bragging, but really meaning it. It took a lot to tolerate Kihyun, more than it took for Kihyun to tolerate himself probably. "He's cool when he's drunk, though. I thought he'd be crazier than usual, but he's kind of fun to be around."

"Not as cool as drunk Wonho," Shownu replied, swinging an arm around Wonho's neck. "He's the best. I wish Wonho were drunk all the time."

Wonho gave a painful look as he scratched his brow. "Yeah, that's not happening. I hate hangovers more than I hate dealing with my decisions when I'm drunk."

"Like hugging Kihyun?" you asked.

"Like hugging Kihyun," Wonho nodded. He squinted in thought. "Man, drunk Wonho's the worst. Hate that guy."

"What?" you blurted, furrowing your eyebrows. "Drunk Wonho gives the best hugs, though."

"I give good hugs, too," Wonho replied, sort of defensively. "Sober me, I mean."

"No you don't," Shownu blurted. "Your hugs are terrible. You just stand there."

"Drunk Wonho does that too," Wonho defended. "I do remember that. I w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter