Decent Human Being

Open Doors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kihyun had that very night. It was some girl he met at a club, and she smelled like strawberries, and had a pretty face. He brought her back to his apartment and it was pretty decent, enough to sate what had to be sated. Only downside was she wanted to cuddle, and he wanted to throw up. Did he look like a huggable person? Of course, but didn't mean he liked it. 

As soon as she opened the front door to leave, you opened the door to enter. You raised an eyebrow and let the random girl leave. She smelled weird, but at least Kihyun was moving on from you. Thank God for that. 

"It breaks my heart to see you with another girl, but I'll get over it," you said flatly as you closed the door. You obviously were a model and not an actor for a reason.

Kihyun laughed as he ran a hand through his hair and leaned against the doorframe of his room. "You don't need to pretend. I know it was all a scam. I'm impressed. You're good."

You sighed in fake relief. "Thank God. It was eating at my conscience having to betray you."

Kihyun laughed airily. He was shirtless, but since you modeled it wasn't like you didn't see beautiful bodies every other day. Maybe that was the reason you weren't charmed by him, either. It was usual business. "Yeah, well there's nothing to worry about," Kihyun replied, actually sounding normal without ulterior motive. "I'm done pursuing you. My therapist said some very eye opening things."

"Therapist?" you asked.

"Yup," Kihyun replied. "Anyway, I'm sorry for being weird. It was a pride thing, and I've learned. You are not my Everest, you're a person just like me."

"You thought I was your Everest?" you asked, raising an eyebrow. You knew Kihyun wanted to sleep with you, but to go so far as to say it'd be the ultimate challenge and ultimate accomplishment was a little...

"Yup," Kihyun casually replied as he grabbed himself a glass of water from the kitchen. "I thought it'd be like those movies, you know? You hate me at first and then you warm up to me once you realize how handsome and charming I am. My professor says I watch too many movies, so that was probably the origin of my errors."

You had to admit, as terrible as it was, you were flattered. It felt cool to be someone's Everest, even if it was in a very morally problematic way. You almost smiled, but then you remembered Kihyun had said something, and you had hardly paid attention to it. Right, movies. "We're not in a movie, Kihyun. You can't orchestrate things to happen because then they'll be too forced and won't work out the right way."

"Well then, what is the right way?" Kihyun asked, crossing his arms over his chest, his eyebrows pulled in thoughtfully as though he was trying to calculate the steps along the way.

"What did I just say?" you blurted, making him jump. "Stop orchestrating!"

"I can't help it!" Kihyun countered defensively, a little on edge from your sharp tone. "I orchestrate! It's what I do!"

"Well, stop it," you replied, not knowing what else to say. "We'll just be roommates!"

"Friends?" Kihyun offered, giving a hopeful look.

"That's pushing it," you replied as you headed towards your room, making his expression drop.

 


///

 

 

An hour later and the electricity was out. At first Kihyun was afraid maybe he forgot to pay the electric bill, but then he noticed the whole street was out of power, and so none of it was his fault.

Of course it wasn't. Nothing bad was ever Kihyun's fault.

You two sat in the living room together, and for the first time talked about stuff. Nothing important, but kind of.

"I have an older sister, and she's the worst," Kihyun said, shaking his head. "She's a terrible person. I wouldn't even invite her to my funeral."

"I get that," you replied, nodding. "Sometimes family . There are tons of bad people, chances are some are part of your family. My dad ."

Kihyun nodded. He'd say something empathetic, but you didn't seem like the type that enjoyed that. He changed the subject. "What's your favorite movie?"

"I don't really like movies," you replied bluntly. "They give you false hope that your life will be as interesting, too."

"They're still good to watch," Kihyun countered. "I still watch movies with romance even though I don't believe in love. Part of it is to watch the scenes, but I guess the rest of it is cool, too."

"Wait, are you saying you don't believe in love?" you asked, giving him a baffled look. You weren't the most emotionally in touch person, but at least you knew it was real. "Love's not fake, you know."

"Oh, sure, and so are unicorns and leprechauns and hobbits," Kihyun counted off casually. "I'm not dumb. Love's just another thing humans made up to make themselves feel special."

You blinked. As animated and positive as Kihyun was, it was kind of depressing to hear he didn't believe in love. "Wow, well, interesting, I guess."

Kihyun nodded. "Yup. Have you ever been in love?"

"Nah," you replied, crossing your arms over your chest as you leaned against the couch. Even though the power was out, Kihyun managed to find a decent candle, so there was that. Still couldn't see much, though. "I haven't found anyone really special yet. I guess I have high standards."

"No kidding," Kihyun replied as he shook his head. "That's cool though. I mean, being young is supposed to be fun. You're not supposed to take it seriously."

"Is that why you're like this?" you asked, looking at Kihyun. That would make a lot of sense, actually.

"Well, beauty fades, so I'm just trying to get my money's worth," Kihyun said as he confidently smoothed out his hair. "I hope I'm still hot when I'm an old guy, but this moment, right now, is my prime."

You raised an eyebrow and furrowed your eyebrows slightly. You realized you never knew how to reply to most of what Kihyun said, but then again, he liked to talk a lot so that didn't seem to matter. "I... see."

"Yup," Kihyun replied with a sure nod. "I know you think I'm a womanizer, but I sleep with manizers, too. You think those girls want to know my hobbies? They're just as bad as I am."

Interesting. You never thought of it like that, even though Kihyun said it like it was an obvious observation that anyone should've seen. Maybe it was because you really didn't put much effort into thinking too hard about Kihyun's... conquests, or Kihyun at all.

"So you model, huh," Kihyun asked, nudging you with a grin. "You think you could set me up with any hot model friends?"

"That's not happening!" you replied, shoving away his nudge. "I'm not mixing my personal life with my work life."

"Oh, so now we're personal," Kihyun replied, wriggling his eyebrows. It was a fault of habit.

"Stop it," you warned, flicking his forehead.

Kihyun winced, shoving a finger at you. "Mean!"

You rolled your eyes and Kihyun cleared his throat. "So I saw a therapist today, and I'm sorry if I ually harassed you. I'm officially resigning."

You furrowed your eyebrows. It felt so harsh to say that it was ual harassment (even if it kind of was), and especially to hear it from Kihyun who didn't seem to take anything seriously, but the apology meant a lot. You nodded. "Glad you realized it. Thanks."

Kihyun nodded, pursing his lips. "I was thinking about the Wonder Woman thing. You know, I think you may be right."

"I am right," you replied.

"Okay, you are right," Kihyun replied, holding his hands in defense. "I obviously have a lot of learning to do. I mean, I love women and I know nothing about them. Do you think you could... teach me?"

"Nope," you replied. "I'm too busy, and it's not my job."

"Where else am I supposed to learn?!" Kihyun blurted frustratedly. "You think girls want me to ask that kind of thing when I have with them?"

"I don't know," you replied, giving him a disgusted look. "Go to the library! Read books! Talk to your mom, listen to your mom. Think about what you can do that women can't, what's easy for you and what's hard for women."

Kihyun nodded, puffing his cheeks. "Kind of hard to learn about women when everywhere I look, the focus is always on guys, though."

"Yup," you replied, barely paying attention. "I can't believe it takes so long for guys to notice that."

Kihyun blinked. Life was hard when he really thought. The entire time he had girls thinking he valued women, when in reality he just valued their bodies. He had no idea what it was really like to be a woman, and up until then he thought it didn't matter because he was a man.

If it was that hard to know what women faced, he imagined how difficult it was for women to actually deal with those problems.

"I wish I could look this up on the internet, but, you know," Kihyun replied, looking around at the darkness. You rolled your eyes.

Just then, the door opened and a flashlight pointed straight in your eyes. You winced.

"Shownu, stop trying to blind us," Kihyun snapped, shielding his eyes with his palm. You couldn't imagine how he could've identified Shownu so easily, but it seemed like Shownu was always a little dense, so maybe that was why.

"Oh, sorry, guys!" Shownu replied, quickly pointing the flashlight down to the floor. "Habit, I guess."

"You say that like you're always using a flashlight," Kihyun replied, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Yeah, well we're kind of bad at paying the electricity bill, so..."

A moment later, Wonho shouldered his way through the door and sighed. "Shownu ate all of our food so we're here. How long do you think the electricity will be out?"

"Who knows?" Kihyun mumbled as he folded his arms over his chest and sighed. He was enjoyin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter