Weak in the Knees

Open Doors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As weird as it sounded, you were actually having a good time with Kihyun. Now that it was the appropriate time and place for Kihyun to be Kihyun, he didn't seem so weird and obnoxious. He was actually... really funny. He could talk about basically anything. You hadn't laughed like that in a while, and it seemed you were actually laughing with him not at him.

"You know, it's actually fun hanging out with you right now," you said after taking a sip of your drink. "I may be drunk, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about this."

"Oh, I know," Kihyun said, giving you a look. "I'm the best. You don't have to pretend you just realized that."

"I didn't say you were the best," you replied, squinting. You stumbled slightly, feeling unbalanced, so you leaned your shoulder on the wall and continued. "I said you're fun now. Everywhere else, you're terrible."

Kihyun bit down on his lip in thought, and after a second, recovered with a casual nod. "Yeah, I'll take what I can get. At this rate, you'll be my biggest fan in a month."

You shoved him slightly, enough for him to grip back onto the wall for stability. He hiccuped as you continued. "I'll probably hate you by the end of the night, so don't bother."

Kihyun held a hand up in defense as he set his cup down and tried to keep the room from spinning. He thought he was fine until he made one slight movement and realized he was actually sort of really trashed. He shook his head and blinked. He hated reaching this point. When he got terribly trashed, he got terribly honest. The only girl who ever left him before left because he overshared about his crappy childhood. Since then, he promised to never reach that point again.

How could that have happened?

Oh, right. He was having so much fun he got stupid and careless. He knew he was fun, but why did you have to be fun, too? Why did he like talking with you, instead of to you? He'd say mistakes happen, but he didn't think it was a mistake. The drinking was, but the fun? How could he regret that? 

"I'm sorry, what?" Kihyun slurred, looking over at you with a slight furrow in his brows. "What's happening at the end of the night?"

You rolled your eyes, predicting what he was thinking. "Not that. What is it going to take for you to realize I'm not sleeping with you?"

"What? Gross," Kihyun mumbled, clutching his forehead. "I don't sleep with girls, I have with them. You must be really drunk to not remember even that."

You eyed him skeptically, noticing how weak and sloppy he looked, how dumb and out of it he sounded. If he was worse than that one time he hurt his back falling on the couch, then you were in for a huge job taking care of him. You had to find Wonho. He'd probably put up with it. You definitely weren't.

"On a scale from one to ten, how drunk are you?" you asked, waving a hand in front of Kihyun's face. 

He blinked dazedly and his eyes fluttered up at you. He blinked several more times before realizing what you had said. "First?" he blurted, looking up in thought. He shook his head. "Wait, no. What was the question again?"

You sighed stressfully and nodded, looking around the room for Wonho, Minhyuk- hell, you could probably even stick Shownu in the job. You couldn't find any of them, though, even though it was really dark and you couldn't see much of anything. You wouldn't have been surprised if Minhyuk slipped out to go back and study for his exam. Shownu and Wonho, on the other hand... well, who knew? Now that you thought about it, Wonho probably had enough on his hands trying to make sure Shownu didn't do anything too crazy.

"Kihyun, we should probably go," you replied, raising an eyebrow as he slid down the wall and sat on the floor, his knees pulled to his chest. His head fell to the side, and you sighed impatiently. "Kihyun, stand up. You look ridiculous!"

Kihyun nodded and slid back up. It was tough and nearly impossible, but his ego was still there to guide him at the alarm of an insult. He puffed his cheeks and slapped his face to wake himself up. "I'm fine! I'm just a little drunk. I wasn't sculpted by the gods just to be knocked down by alcohol."

You shook your head and put your drink down at the table beside you. "Okay, now we really need to go. I'm not babysitting you all night."

"Okay," Kihyun nodded, pushing himself off of the wall. He swayed, barely able to stand on both legs, and he felt his ankle roll. He frowned, holding onto the wall. "I really need to go to the gym more often. My legs need to be stronger."

You nudged him toward the door, giving an unamused look. "I don't think it's that."

As you neared the door, you saw Changkyun step away toward you, and you gave him a painful look. "Kihyun's trashed. I need to get him to bed."

"You're so bold," Kihyun snorted, wrapping an arm around your neck with a sloppy smile. He grinned at Changkyun as he affectionately slapped your cheek. "She's definitely a one. She calls the shots."

Just as Changkyun's eyebrows raised, you harshly shoved Kihyun away, and his legs wavered, knocking him to the ground. You gave Changkyun a tight smile. "He's obviously trashed, so he's speaking nonsense."

Changkyun shrugged, raising his hands in defense. "Say no more. I don't even understand him sober."

Kihyun popped up -- surprisingly agile considering his condition -- but as soon as he got on his feet, his knees wavered. He put a palm on your shoulder for stability (he was really just pushing you down to elevate himself). He raked a hand through his hair and then reached out, slapping Changkyun's cheek the same way he did yours, except he grabbed Changkyun's jaw and wagged his head around as though he were a little puppy. Given Kihyun's current state, he saw no difference. "You're an okay guy, Changkyun. Even if she doesn't like you back, don't blame yourself. She doesn't like anyone. She's a robot. I mean a hot robot, but you get what I mean. It's just not possible."

Changkyun nodded, giving a bleak look as he pursed his lips. "I have no idea what to say to that, but I just want to say I'm happy you're leaving, Kihyun."

Kihyun nodded with a grin, and walked off, his shoulder colliding with every person between him and the door. He was handsome enough not to get punched in the face for it, and he was actually stopped by the next girl he bumped into. He shoved his hands in his pockets and looked at her as she curled her hair behind an ear and gave him the look. He didn't even have to do anything but stand there and look at her. Regardless of anything, you had to admit it was impressive.

You raised an eyebrow, looking away from Kihyun to Changkyun. "Uh, anyway, cool party. It was nice to meet you."

"Of course!" Changkyun said, now completely alert. He stiffened as he tried to think of something cool to say, but his smile was there to somewhat lean on. It shrunk and grew as he half committed to saying something and then changed his mind. After a moment, he finally replied. "You should come again sometime! I mean, without Kihyun, of course."

You scratched your head. "Yeah... uh... you mean next time you throw a party?"

"Yeah, or, you know, whenever," Changkyun replied, casually avoiding your eyes as he looked around the room. His voice changed dramatically as he locked his eyes back on you. "If you happen to be in the area or something, my door's always open."

You furrowed your eyebrows in confusion as to what exactly his motives were. You opened your mouth to reply, but closed it, still feeling confused. Changkyun was a little... awkward. He was nice, but weird. It made it hard to know what to say to him. You replied in a rush. "Uh, yeah, sorry, but I have to go."

You quickly walked off, yanking Kihyun with you in the process. He stumbled through the door and hurriedly looked over his shoulder at the girl exasperatedly looking at him. He pouted, looking back at you. "Hey, that girl was hot!"

You let go of him and fixed his yanked shirt. "Sorry," you sighed as he patted down his hair. "But how do you expect to have with her if you can hardly stand?"

Kihyun gave you a sympathetic look as he patted your shoulder. "You'd be surprised."

You grimaced, shrugging off his palm. "Anyway, Changkyun's weirding me out, so I'm going back to our place. You can go back in with that girl, if you want."

Kihyun snorted, giving you a look as he threw an arm around your neck. "Letting a pretty girl go home by herself? No, thank you. If you get abducted, I don't think I'll be able to live with the guilt. Also paying full rent again will ... a lot."

You frowned, not making the effort to shrug off his arm. It seemed that would be the only thing keeping him upright, anyway. "How do you always manage to make everything about you?" you mumbled, giving him a dry look.

"Because it is," Kihyun slurred, albeit with confidence, as he began walking again, his steps sloppier now. He squeezed his eyes shut and shook his head, trying to focus. "The Moon revolves around the Earth, the Earth revolves around the Sun, and the Sun revolves around me."

He hiccuped, stopping to lean against the hallway wall. He paused and furrowed h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter