The Invitation

Not Over You

#3: · “so i know we haven’t talked in like, two years, and that things ended pretty badly between us but what the do you mean you’re engaged to be married¨ AU

 

 

______________________________________

 

 

Even though Hyesung was sure he woke up for a nice, beautiful morning, he never would have guessed he would end up being in a literal shock.

After he got out of bed he proceeded with his morning procedure: ate breakfast, had coffee, brushed his teeth and so on, wearing a wide smile all the time. It was such a good day, he had no idea what it made it into that after all it was perfectly… average.

It was not a special it, it was like all the others and while Hyesung found it weird he was so energized, still, it was a nice feeling.
 

Until that moment.

When he went over his letters the postmen just brought, his eyes got stuck on something that wasn’t a bill. It had a rather nice wrapping and he got a shock seeing the sender’s name:
Eric Mun.
 

Memories from two years ago had flooded his mind and his chest got filled with rather bittersweet feelings. He definitely remembered that day when they said their goodbyes to each other in a rather… unique form, containing screaming and hateful comments and even breaking this and that, like that super expensive TV they purchased together.

Hyesung was not proud of that breakup and even to this day it haunted him, it did not matter it all happened two years ago and he was over him already.

Or so, that’s what he thought. It was easy to think this way, after all they did not see each other since then, it was a complete two years long silence from both parts. This way, it’s easy to think one is over their feelings.

But now that he saw that name on that envelope, Hyesung’s feelings were triggered once more – his heart fluttered, despite the bitter feelings brought back by memories.
 

He did not dare to open the envelope. What did Eric want from him now, after all this time?
For a moment his heart skipped a beat and started to beat rapidly – perhaps he wants to start again?

Of course that’s not that easy. They would need to consider things, like they must be more understanding with each other. More accepting. There is a reason why they literally destroyed their home while breaking up and that should not happen this time. They must go slowly and wise.
 

“But seriously, what if he wants to…” He pressed squealing back down in his throat, “Shin Hyesung, stop, be mature. You are a mature adult man. Stop.”
 

He let out a sigh and opened the envelope. His hands were trembling and he seriously found himself ridiculous. After such a long timw Eric still had such an effect on him… just ridiculous.

Then he opened the envelope and his eyes widened, for a moment his whole mind went blank from the shock.
 

‘Marriage invitation of Eric Mun’s and…’
 

For a long while he only stared at the letters, he glared at them so much as if he waited for them to run away, only leaving an empty invitation. However, the letters stayed and no matter how many times he re-read them the meaning was still a same.
 

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN MARRIAGE INVITATION?!” Hyesung cried out shocked, “What is this… what the hell is this?!”
 

Hyesung did not plan on denying anything he felt. It was pretty obvious he still had feelings for Eric, he still loved him quite well and it was obvious as well he got annoyed and hurt.

What’s with this sudden marriage thing?
And why was he such an insensitive prick to send an invitation to his ex-boyfriend whom he lived together for a year and dated for half a year? Basically having 1,5 years of history together if they did not count their getting-to-know phase? If they counted that, it would be… probably more than two years.

It was rude. And hurtful. And Hyesung wanted to kick his .
 

“You got some nerve…” He grumbled as he still stared at the invitation. “Getting married a month from here on…”
 

However, soon his anger elapsed and pain took its place, mixed with desperation. Was he really going to get married?

It’s been two years since they became complete strangers, still, getting married is just… just, so… you know. Eventual.

His possessive feelings got awoken and somehow, the fact Eric could be someone else’s… it bothered him big time. This whole marriage thing… it felt uncomfortable, it did not feel right.

Just why would he want to get married?
They were fine without marriage… they never talked about getting married. So what’s with him now?
 

He admitted he was panicking. He also admitted all this time he had hope for starting again, he just managed to hide it from even himself. And now that marriage came into the picture – and not with him – he was panicking, that’s it.
 

“Okay, Shin Hyesung, pull yourself together.” He took a few breaths to calm himself, “This… it must be some error.” He sighed again and headbutted the table, “Error, my .”
 

What to do…
Hyesung was clueless. Of course, there was nothing to be done. Things have ended between them, long dead for a while now. Only because he was triggered by the news and turns out he still liked that man… it did not mean Hyesung had to do anything about it.

Whom was he to step in? No one. Just an ex. Which meant he did not have any right to do anything. Honestly, he should not even attend even though he received an invitation.

What he should have done was stepping off silently, leaving Eric alone.
 

“Stepping off, my .” He grumbled to himself and looked at the address written on the envelope, “I got you, Eric Mun-ssi.”
 

 

His heart was pounding in his throat as he was standing in front of an apartment door, written ‘Eric Mun’ on it. It’s been two years since he had last seen him and he could not believe he actually pulled himself together and ran there an hour after he received the invitation.

He felt like he stepped out of a movie or something.

He was panting hard – he was too impatient to wait for the elevator, so he just ran up 4 storeys on the stares. However, even without this his heart would have been fluttering, reading the name and as he waited for the door to be opened after he rang the bell.

It was only now that he thought, ‘what if he isn’t home? I ran all the way here only to watch his door…’.

However, luck was by his side. After a few minutes and pressing the bell once again, the door opened and there appeared Eric, wearing a rather shocked expression.
 

“Hyesung?!”
 

He did not reply immediately. He had to process that breathtaking feeling that took control over him from seeing Eric for the first time after two years.

He did not change much. He was still the same. He still had that charm for him that always managed to send Hyesung down on the madness path. He was still that very man he had fallen in love with such a long time ago and this did weird things to his feelings.

His heart almost jumped out, his stomach cramped and he just wished he could run into his arms. He really did still like him.
 

“Yah,” He cried out and lifted the invitation once he found his voice, “What the hell is this?! Are you kidding me?!”
 

Eric furrowed his eyebrows as he took the invitation then his expression softened as realization hit him, “Ah, so you’ve received it.”
 

Hyesung blinked a few, “So… it’s true?”
 

“Yeah.” Eric nodded smiling and it annoyed Hyesung, “I’m getting married next month.”
 

“What the hell do you mean you are getting married?!” Hyesung grabbed his shoulders, “You can’t get married!
 

“Yah!” Eric hissed annoyed, “Shin Hyesung, that’s really none of your business…”
 

For a moment Hyesung only stared right into Eric’s cold eyes. Those cold eyes that used to look at him so gently and warm.

He was shocked by his words because he was right. It really was none of Hyesung’s business and this was like a huge blow. They broke up such long time ago. They were basically strangers. So who is Hyesung just to come here and make a scene, throwing a tantrum about how dare Eric move on with his life and get married while Hyesung still had no life after him?

He felt terrible because Eric was right. He really had nothing to do with him and his marriage, it might have been only a kind gesture or an error in the system.

Still.

Hyesung still liked him. Wasn’t it enough of a reason that actually did make it into his business?
 

Hyesung shifted his gaze and instead tightened his grab on his shoulders, “Please.” His voice sounded thin, “Don’t get married.” Eric did not reply – he must have been shocked -, so Hyesung just leant his head onto his shoulder and asked him once more, “Please, don’t get married, Eric.”
 

“You come here after two years…” His voice was hoarse as he spoke on a soft tone, “And ask me things like this when I could build my life happily. Why are you doing this to me?”
 

“Because I…” Hyesung did not look up, “I can’t bear with the thought of you, living your whole life with someone other than me.”
 

“That’s pretty selfish.” Hyesung nodded, “Would you have looked for me if you did not get the invitation?”
 

Good question, Hyesung thought to himself, I have no idea.
 

Hyesung lifted his head and said, “But isn’t it enough I came immediately after I’ve received it?”
 

“I don’t think it’s enough.” Eric shook his head, “For a wedding to be called off.”
 

It’s only natural. Logical, he thought. It really seemed to be too much to ask. Because Hyesung felt this way… he really could not ask Ericto give up his current life for him, give up on the person he wanted to marry for him.

He was right, Hyesung had to admit and suddenly he felt childish. Because he was selfish he ran here without considering anything else besides his feelings.

He was terrible. And he needed to give up.
 

“I… I see.” Hyesung tried to force a smile onto his face as he let go of Eric and stepped back, “I see.” He nodded to himself trying to hide his embarrassment and that awful pain he last felt only quite a while ago when things started to go bad between them, “You are right. I can’t just ask you such things popping up out of the blue after two years. I was foolish.” He sniffed, he suddenly got a runny nose and he realized, he teared up as well, ‘oh great’ he thought, “I’m sorry. I’m leaving.”
 

He turned around and wanted to leave, however, he felt a strong grip on his arm that pulled him back and again, he was facing Eric. His expression lit something in his chest, he could not take his eyes off of him. Those eyes now had warmness in them, he looked kind, so kind it made Hyesung’s heart ache.

Eric looked at him just like in the old times.
 

“It’s not enough.” Eric’s voice sounded desperate, as if he caught onto something only in the last minute, “But if you try harder it might be.”
 

“How can I do that?” Hyesung asked hopeful.
 

“For now, “Eric’s mouth curved into a wide smile, “I was going to have breakfast. Join me and let’s talk.”
 

Hyesung could not say anything but nodded sniffing. Even though nothing was sure, still, such a relief washed through him it was hard to hold back his tears.

He accepted Eric’s hand reached out to him and followed him inside – being thankful he got that invitation even though he still was not very sure about the reason why he received it…

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

A/N:

So I wanted to release this Saturday, but I'm 20 minutes late OTL
OH WELL
Wonder why Hyesungie received that invitation... and how things will turn out... hm
Another more or less happy ending here haha
Next one will probably be angsty tho but it all depends on you when it will come. You  3 chapters for free (bc of christmas lol) trial had ended now let's bring the 10-comment-rule into practise here as well. I wanted to say 'give me 10 comments/released chapters' but that would be terrible of me so I'll only count this chapter. So, 10 comment on this chapter and next release will surely happen.

Anyway, I hope you are spending the holidays well and even if you don't celebrate this period, I still hope you are having a good time.

Stay well

See you next time