Back on the run

Who are you guys?

I blinked twice before I convinced myself that it was indeed Cam waving to me. I stopped right away and he hopped on in no time. He looked at me swiftly.

"Drive! Quick!"

I nodded and once again pulled out into the road. They were still after us. 

"Do you see that crossroad over there?" Cam asked me. I followed his gaze and saw that we were approaching a clearing ahead, built in with a crossroad. 

"Turn right," he directed, voice calm.

I followed his orders, heart pounding. But this time, it was with excitement and adrenaline. 

We made the turn and continued like so until we reached a place with no more roads. The car could no longer go in. We braked and Cam said to get out of the car right away. I got out and looked to see if they had managed to follow our complicated route. They weren't here yet but I could hear the engine running towards us. 

"There's no time to lose. Follow me." Cam grabbed me my the arm and pulled me into the forest clearing. Trees grew over, hiding the forest within. It was surprisingly dark inside; the towering nature had almost covered the sun's direct sunlight. We jogged on briskly, going deeper and deeper into the forest. Branches enveloped the floor, making it hard to run at any great speed. I took a big step and tripped on a large branch, falling onto the forest floor. 

Cam bent down to help me up but as he was doing so, we heard footsteps from behind us. Oh no, they were catching up with us. 

"We have to go." he whispered. But I had grazed me knee and hands and struggled to get up. He lifted me, hands supporting my waist and hanging my arm across his broad shoulders. We trenched on for another half an hour or so before we decided to stop for a rest. They were no longer following. Cam helped me sit down on a log and turned to look at me. He noticed my graze and knelt down to tend to it, while I kept a look out for any other intruders. It was then that I could actually take a good look at Cam, the suave and quiet leader of the 'team' I had grown to know. The chase had led him to losing his cap, which he had on from the first time I met him, exposing his black hair that blew gently in the forest breeze. His eyes were full of concentration.. he seemed to be concerned... Suddenly, he caught me studying him and he looked away, seemingly embarrassed.

It felt weird to be caught in the act and I looked away temporarily as well. I heard a tear and realised that he had torn some fabric off his clothes to wrap around me knee. I protested but he insisted. After that, we both sat on the log in silence. 

I felt strangely at peace. The forest was beautiful and it certainly felt a lot safer with Cam here. I finally got the courage to ask him the question I had always wanted to ask.

"Why are they chasing after you?"

Cam sighed and picked up a stick, scratching it on the log, his eyes in a fixed gaze. 

"They are chasing us to kill us. We're on a mission..." he started fidgeting and grew wary. I decided that it had to be kept confidential. He continued.

"We just need to leave this place, get Dave back and go report to our head about our discoveries. That's all we need to do now." He looked into the distance, lost in thought.

It started getting colder and I felt goosebumps appear on my skin. I still had on the dress I had worn to the mall that day. Cam noticed I was shivering and began to take his sweater off. 

"No.." I gestured, trying to stop him. "You keep it."

He lay it gently across my shoulders. It warmed me up, sending a wave of gratitude across my body.. I looked over at the man next to me, now only wearing a thin singlet, his well-toned body exposed to the forest. But he was unafraid.

It was getting dark now. 

We decided that it would be the safest to stay there and wait until night time. Then, we make our escape.